4-day flip!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRydr

Reaction score
Unbelievable! Saw this new (3 hours old) CL ad of a 2007 with under 1k miles for $4k. My buddy and I planned to go halves on it and flip it. We rushed down with a trunk & ramp that evening and took it home. Battery was dead, it was filthy from being left outside since new. 2 days later we detailed it, replaced battery, changed the engine oil and drive shaft oil. Pumped up the tires, started it up and rode it to the gas station. Found the brakes were "spungy", time for brake fluid flush. Next day, I showed my neighbor and so happens he was going to buy a bike, that morning he signed up for an instruction class. Next day he came over with $7700 and says he will take care of the brake flush and have the recalls done.

Originally, my brother thought it was a scam, but I was assured it was legit when the seller called me and gave me his cell # and told me he answers his phone stating the company he works for. And when he told me the company name, I asked if he knew my good friend who was so and so. It turns out my friend is his mentor! This gave me assurance this was a legit sale and my friend soon thereafter assured me that the seller can be trusted. Small world! Also, my neighbor (the buyer) told me his instructor has the same 2007 black cherry bike. Anyway, the bike is now two blocks up the street and I now have another local riding buddy...who will likely join this forum. BTW - He is already interested in buying a stock black cherry trunk and some riding gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
At that price I would have figured it was a scam too...guess not. Good for you 'Rydr, that's a tidy profit!

--G

At that price I would have figured it was a scam too...guess not. Good for you 'Rydr, that's a tidy profit!

--G
Thanks G! Yep, I call it "sweat equity"...and sweet equity! :) This neglected bike looked really sad, but after 12+ hours of intense detailing and service it came back from the dead.

Originally, my brother thought it was a scam, but I was assured it was legit when the seller called me and gave me his cell #
I can't believe how many scams there are on CL these days. Congrats on the great find!

With so much info at the ready it's tough to ever find a deal like that anymore. Congrats!

In the mid 90's I bought 2 snowmachines and a trailer at at sheriff's auction where no one showed up--got the first sled for 300, the second for 400, then 100 for the trailer. Then two guys that worked at the car dealership came running over. A day later they bought the package from me for $2K, I left it all overnight on the lot b/c I had title to it all. Cleared 1200 bucks, never even took them home. It was a once in a lifetime thing! :)

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!! You SOB! I was on my way to Auburn with cash in hand to pick up that bike. I've been looking for a good deal and came across that one; talked to the guy on the phone. I intended on keeping it. Curses!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!! You SOB! I was on my way to Auburn with cash in hand to pick up that bike. I've been looking for a good deal and came across that one; talked to the guy on the phone. I intended on keeping it. Curses!
Seriously, dude? Very rude & highly inappropriate, I must say.

However, there are instances when it may seem appropriate to curse at another, like at the driver of a car who purposely merges into you and nearly pancakes you into a concrete barrier on a narrow (2') shoulder along I-5. That recently happened to me, and that made me curse at him. In all sincerity, I later regret those wicked thoughts. But, if I'd really lost my cool (instead of braking/swerving) I would have gone down for sure, maybe over the barrier & down about 30 feet to the lower deck. And probably would have crashed in a chain reaction, including my brother and the 3rd rider in our group. Very chilling, the foolish actions of one angry driver put our lives in danger. Reacting in anger usually ends badly or fatal when operating motorcycles. In contrast, keeping cool prevented a disastrous conclusion.

Anger can make people sound petty. Life is too short and sometimes things happen, or in this case things don't go your way. Sorry, I fail to see how my actions hurt you and that I deserve such vitriol and some guilt trip...especially from a fellow rider. Besides, I knew nothing of another person 'on their way', and/or 'with cash in hand' as you say. You must have access to resources like we do, yet you sound like some victim out for revenge. The reality is, there are and will always be other bikes available...and fall season usually presents better opportunities for buyers.

I wish you well.

However, there are instances when it may seem appropriate to curse at another, like at the driver of a car who purposely merges into you and nearly pancakes you into a concrete barrier on a narrow (2') shoulder along I-5. That recently happened to me, and that made me curse at him. In all sincerity, I later regret those wicked thoughts. But, if I'd really lost my cool (instead of braking/swerving) I would have gone down for sure, maybe over the barrier & down about 30 feet to the lower deck. And probably would have crashed in a chain reaction, including my brother and the 3rd rider in our group. Very chilling, the foolish actions of one angry driver put our lives in danger. Reacting in anger usually ends badly or fatal when operating motorcycles. In contrast, keeping cool prevented a disastrous conclusion.

Anger can make people sound petty. Life is too short and sometimes things happen, or in this case things don't go your way. Sorry, I fail to see how my actions hurt you and that I deserve such vitriol and some guilt trip...especially from a fellow rider. Besides, I knew nothing of another person 'on their way', and/or 'with cash in hand' as you say. You must have access to resources like we do, yet you sound like some victim out for revenge. The reality is, there are and will always be other bikes available...and fall season usually presents better opportunities for buyers.

I wish you well.
Please say you are kidding and just forgot to use a smiley or two. A couple of us sort of followed Fuzz's drama regarding the bike and saw no issues. Then your feelings are hurt cuz he said "SOB?" You might wanna grow some thicker skin and take the sermons somewhere else.

If you were kidding, then I'll shut the fuck up. Haha...Oops!

I wish you well.
:blink:

I guess I should have inserted a smiley after the "SOB." I meant it in the best way possible. I'm new here and perhaps expressed myself in too familiar a fashion; not realizing you were so sensitive.

I mean, seriously, who says "Curses!" when they are mad for real?

And if I was actually angry, "SOB" would not have been the epithet I would have chosen :D

I wish you well.
WTF?!?! No more from me - I'll keep my mouth shut. Like you should have done.

Latest posts