4 Volcanoes in 3 Days

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
Day One

I was considering a ride to South Dakota to see the sites but the moon and stars did not align. Instead I spent 4 wonderful days with the wife on a get away to Kokanee Spring Golf Resort in BC. A very low key, unpretentious and casual place. It is a slice of heaven on earth. We had a blast.

So with three days of free time I pondered my options and decided to ride to the Columbia River Gorge. The goal was to ride roads not rode often enough, 250 miles per day, find roads never rode before and take some photos along the way.

Here is my route for day one.

I planned on a 9:00am start time or so. No hurries on this trip, no big mileage days, just a relaxing day on the FJR. With the bike pack I was donned my helmet and went to get the sunglasses. No sunglasses. Nuts. They were in my car and my wife drive the car to work, 30 miles away. I arrive at the car, open the door and no sunglasses. This is when I remembered I had already put the sunglasses in my tank bag the night before. The tank bag was on the bike. Shuckin's and pashaw.

With sunglasses mounted on my nose I get gas in Enumclaw and head the first road not rode often, Sunrise at Mt. Rainier. It was a Thursday and the traffic was light and the riding fantastic. With temp in the mid '60 and clear blue skies this could be a good day for photos. And it was.

Mt Rainier along Sunrise Road near Inspiration Point

IMG_9784%2520%2528600x400%2529.jpg

Mt Rainier along Sunrise Road near Inspiration Point

IMG_9789+%2528600x401%2529.jpg

From here I went on to Mather Memorial Parkway where clear skies where cooperating today.

Mt Rainier from THE viewpoint along Mather Memorial Parkway. The road continues on and you can see this view for about 1 mile.

IMG_9793+%2528600x400%2529.jpg

Next up was a road road often, Chinook Pass. The goal was to take some photos of the wild flowers at Tipsoo Lake. Chinook Pass open usually around Memorial Day weekend. Tipsoo Lake is snow free by the second week of July or a bit later.

Here is a photo from July 8th this year.

IMG_9386%2520%2528640x427%2529.jpg

Here are some photos taken on September 7, 2012 of wild flower at Tipsoo Lake with Mt. Rainier in the background. One reason I love this place is the season bring lots of change.

IMG_9803+%2528600x400%2529.jpg

IMG_9817+%2528600x375%2529.jpg

IMG_9824+%2528600x386%2529.jpg

IMG_9827+%2528600x400%2529.jpg

IMG_9873+%2528600x400%2529.jpg

I walked around the entire lake taking about 100 photos here using my Canon XSi, with a Canon 28-135 lens along with graduated neutral density filters to avoid contrast blowout. Very relaxing.

Next it was off to Windy Ridge on Mt. St. Helens to enjoy some fine twisties on FS 99. Mission accomplished, except the last 4 miles of the road are closed until October 5, 2012. Along the way on FS 25 I shot these photos.

Mt Rainier from FS 25 just south of Randle.

IMG_9877+%2528600x400%2529.jpg

The photos above was shot at the location below. The pavement after this is terrible until you reach FS 99, a distance of about 10 miles.

IMG_9884+%2528600x400%2529.jpg

Below is FS 99 the road to Windy Ridge. I shot this photo in August 2006. There is much more vegetation now.

P8270050.JPG

FS 99. I shot this photo July 2007 and it my GPS on boot image. The small sappling along side of the road are no longer small and are reducing the sight line, sticking out 2 feet into the road and are 6 feet high in places. Go there soon to get the best this road has to offer.

P7050002.JPG

FS 99. How about a volcano with your twisties?

P7050005.JPG

The next road not rode often enough was from Windy Ridge to Wind River Highway and on to Carson Washington. Here you will find six miles of sublime twisties. If this road doesn't leave a silly grin on your face it is time to sell your bike. The rest of it it is also a great road.

That is new paint on the road and the road surface is very nice. Turn, turn, turn. I decide to stop here because I a truck ahead was painting the right while line. I turned around and found a good spot for a photo op. No sense in wasting good turns following a slow truck you can't pass.

Wind River Hwy - the road goes like this for six miles.

IMG_9892+%2528600x400%2529.jpg

My FJR along Wind River Hwy

IMG_9745+%2528600x450%2529.jpg

Before arriving in Carson I notice the smell and see smoke in the air. I was not aware of a forest fire and on of the reason for this trip as opposed to Idaho or Montana is both of those areas have active fires. Nuts.

I finish the day by riding to Stevenson Washington where there is a Rodeway Inn and decent restaurants. Later that evening I learned there was a 100 acre forest fire along my route for Friday.

The End

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the look, I'll be personally checking the factual content of this report a week from tomorrow :yahoo:
Be warned FS 25 from FS 99 to Randle is very rough. I hit some pot holes on the way back yesterday that were so bad I stood up in the nick of time to avoid the concussion. I have after market suspension too and it is still bad. On one bump I was on my feet, off the seat, the bump was so violent, my left foot rocked back and my heel struck the pavement. Trees line the roads and if you ride it on a bright sunny day ( hopefully you will) the contrast and shadows tend to hide these monsters.

Thanks for the look, I'll be personally checking the factual content of this report a week from tomorrow :yahoo:
Be warned FS 25 from FS 99 to Randle is very rough. I hit some pot holes on the way back yesterday that were so bad I stood up in the nick of time to avoid the concussion. I have after market suspension too and it is still bad. On one bump I was on my feet, off the seat, the bump was so violent, my left foot rocked back and my heel struck the pavement. Trees line the roads and if you ride it on a bright sunny day ( hopefully you will) the contrast and shadows tend to hide these monsters.
Thanks, the last time I was up there in 05 it wasn't smooth silk either. I remember the fun unseen bumps in the road shadows :angry2: . At least the suspenders are better this trip.

Love the pics Fontanaman, thanks for sharing!

I've passed blown by a few Harley's on this stretch of pavement... :eek:

P7050002.JPG

--G

Thanks, the last time I was up there in 05 it wasn't smooth silk either. I remember the fun unseen bumps in the road shadows :angry2: . At least the suspenders are better this trip.
Yep, when I was up there in July. NF-25 between NF-99 and Randle was still horrid. I was standing up on my pegs pretty much the entire time...but could still move at a decent clip, it would have been a different story if sitting down. You would be flirting with the possibility of endo'ing off the bike..

Frickin' awesome!!! I'm gonna have to look at next year's trip ideas and put this in the queue!!! :clapping:
Thanks Tyler. Reading trip reports from you and GeorgiaRoller provided some of the inspiration for this trip. Get off the darn bike and take some pictures.

Nice!

You need to have me meet you up there, drink your liquor, eat your food, and show me the good roads? :lol:

Nice!

You need to have me meet you up there, drink your liquor, eat your food, and show me the good roads? :lol:
Thank you. As I have included Google Maps links showing the route, I presume you just want to drink my liquor and eat my food, none of which is available on route. So I am really confused now.....
tongue.gif

Thanks Tyler. Reading trip reports from you and GeorgiaRoller provided some of the inspiration for this trip. Get off the darn bike and take some pictures.
+1

I have definitely learned some good things from those two about taking pics on a motorcycle trip. Those two set the standard and I hope that I can incorporate some of that when I go to the Smokies next month.

+1

I have definitely learned some good things from those two about taking pics on a motorcycle trip. Those two set the standard and I hope that I can incorporate some of that when I go to the Smokies next month.
Don't be afraid to experiment and take different shots/angles, look at things from a different vantage point than where everyone else is... with digital images, you can take as many as you want as long as your memory card will hold them all! I take a ton of photos but only actually use/post about 10% or less of them. B)

Love the report and pictures from your Day 2 post. Thanks for showing me what I missed in July. Can't wait for next year - the Day 2 route will be an absolute must do!
clapping.gif

Love the report and pictures from your Day 2 post. Thanks for showing me what I missed in July. Can't wait for next year - the Day 2 route will be an absolute must do!
clapping.gif
I want to thank everybody for the kind remarks. It is gratifying folks read my posts.

The best time to ride in Western Washington is August and early September. The difference is it will be warmer in August while the chance for overcast skies in September is higher. All the passes are open, although always check the National Forest web site for Mt. St. Helens to assure FS 99 is open. One year the road was so messed up it was closed all summer.

Typically I don't ride much in August because I consider riding in 90+ temps too hot to ride; such is the life of a Pacific NW slug. But living here I have the advantage of picking an choosing, until winter comes then I'm screwed. Winter around here would be a good time to visit Beemerdons.

clapping.gif
I want to thank everybody for the kind remarks. It is gratifying folks read my posts.

The best time to ride in Western Washington is August and early September. The difference is it will be warmer in August while the chance for overcast skies in September is higher. All the passes are open, although always check the National Forest web site for Mt. St. Helens to assure FS 99 is open. One year the road was so messed up it was closed all summer.

Typically I don't ride much in August because I consider riding in 90+ temps too hot to ride; such is the life of a Pacific NW slug. But living here I have the advantage of picking an choosing, until winter comes then I'm screwed. Winter around here would be a good time to visit Beemerdons.
Come to CA in the winter if you can slab it through the Siskiyou's. The California coast great in Winter time. We will get a rolling cluster-feck ready for you, rain or shine, you will have some company.