5 speed vs 6 speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 6-speed is mechanically much more complex, being built on helical gears. The dogs that engage the shifts don't ride on the gears themselves but on a ring that is moved by the shift fork. With helical gears, you can't simply slide the gearwheels back and forth like the 5-speed does. Additionally, the gear wheels now need thrust bearings to keep them in place, which don't exist on the 5-speed.

Is that bad? Probably not. Car transmissions have had shift rings and thrust bearings for... a very long time. I don't say it takes away from reliability, but it does add to the mechanical complexity of what's going on in there.

I haven't ridden a 6-speed FJR, but I've never wished for the 6th gear, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, but you might think differently after spending some time using the 6-speed tranny. Your point about added complexity is well taken.

compared to my FJ1200 my 06 Feej is boggy off the line...mayhaps the 6 speed is even slower with the taller first gear..

I made sure to check between my 5 speed and 6 speed. IIRC, it was 4500@85mph vs 4000@85mph on my bikes.

I made sure to check between my 5 speed and 6 speed. IIRC, it was 4500@85mph vs 4000@85mph on my bikes.
As I have stated in various posts on this Forum, if you want the 6th gear benefit on your 5sp FJR simply have the final drive re-geared with the Star Venture guts. Also go to a 190/55 rear tire. That will give you 4100rpm at 85mph. The cost to have the final drive done is or was $300. An added benefit with the 190/55 rear tire is the speedo will be 100% accurate. Your welcome!!

According to the chart shown on Mac's post, the actual mph in 6th gear at 4000rpm is 82mph. That is based on a 180/55 rear tire.

This is absolutely and without question the quintessential definition of "Never-Ending, Pointless, and Re-Occurring".

One time while riding across Nevada on Hwy 50, otherwise known as the Loneliest Highway in America, I had the cruise set at about 90 mph because, well quite frankly, I thought that if a Popo magically appeared out of thin air, if I was going 100 mph, I would not be able to convince him or her to let me go with my usual "I wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going" excuse. Anyhoo, after what seemed like about 25 or more miles at this pace with the cruise control on (you 2013 owners will NEVER get to experience that specific scenario - you'll just have to take my word that it's pretty cool), something told me to check things. Something wasn't quite as it normally is. At first, I dismissed it as my usual paranoia. My music was sounding great. The windshield was sending the hot and dry blast of air nicely over my helmet. My "jewels" weren't cooked any more than they usually are at this stage. But something felt just a little bit different.

Ah yes.... here it is, I'm in 4TH GEAR!!!!!

I pulled the clutch, clicked the shifter up once, released the clutch and hit "RES" on the cruise control.

Guess what? NOTHING happened. I went on to ride thousands of miles further. My bike never cursed me for it. At the next valve service, all of the shims were still in spec. My fuel mileage was the exact same it was before. My wife didn't divorce me. NOTHING!!!

Truly, friends. My extreme sarcasm is not meant to give heartburn to anyone, but if it does, then the shoe fits, plain and simple. Otherwise, ride more, stress less....

That is all.

Ah yes.... here it is, I'm in 4TH GEAR!!!!!
I pulled the clutch, clicked the shifter up once, released the clutch and hit "RES" on the cruise control.

Guess what? NOTHING happened. I went on to ride thousands of miles further. My bike never cursed me for it. At the next valve service, all of the shims were still in spec. My fuel mileage was the exact same it was before. My wife didn't divorce me. NOTHING!!!

Truly, friends. My extreme sarcasm is not meant to give heartburn to anyone, but if it does, then the shoe fits, plain and simple. Otherwise, ride more, stress less....

That is all.
Thanks, now I don't feel like a such an idiot. After a day ride in the mtns at lower gear/higher rpm I often forget to go the 5th when I get back on the hwy. 75 mph in 4th for me really feels like 75 in 5th.

Six is higher than five, so it mus be better...

giphy.gif