55L top case locking mechanism?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can tell the cylinder can only be installed one way. Turning it 180 degrees and it does not sit flush or click into place. Bottom line is the key turns 90 degrees, at 0 degrees the key comes out, this should be the locked position. Both of my assemblies only turn clockwise from this 0 degree position. To unlock the right side case or my top case the key must be turned 90 degrees counter clockwise viewed from the key side.

The shell that the assembly goes into also only installs one way on the case. This shell has two nubs of different sizes the fit two slots on the case.

I was going to remove my right side case lock and try it in the top case but it has the security type set screws with the little bump in the center. I will try Harbor Freight for a set of allen keys that may work.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience. I am still waiting for that AHA moment.

Ok

You have the 39 lt case, not the 50/55 lt case.

So the photos posted above may not really help.

I cant recall how the smaller case lock works, but something must be different.

I am starting to think that on the 39 lt case key vertical is locked and key horizontal is unlocked.

Maybe someone with a 39 lt case can confirm how the lock works.

Oh, and you likely need a set of security torx drivers to remove the screws in the side cases. Not allen keys. Sorry, I cant recall the size, its posted here somewhere.

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I posted a reply to sapest but I don't see it.

I'll try again. A big apology for getting the case size wrong. I should have measured the inside not the outside. Several parts sites state that the lock assemblies are compatible. I wonder if anyone can confirm that? Still looking for the security torx drivers.

The three locks that come with the FJR are identical and interchangeable! With the locking bar removed, you should be able to withdraw the cylinder and put it back turned 180°. This should fix it if it if moving in the "wrong" direction. Key is removeable at each end of the 180°. Key is captive at the 90° unlocked position.

There is no left-right or sidecase-topcase.

I used a pair of locking pliers to remove the security torx screws and ended out replacing them with allen screws (for my side cases).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mystery solved. My new locksets arrived and while very similar to the other two I had ordered, they are different. The key does come out at 0 degrees or 180 degrees. I had to turn the lockset in the barrel to make it work with the top case. The length of the whole assembly is also slightly longer and fits flush on the inside of the plastic tunnel that you insert it into. Thankfully, I can now use the topcase that came with my bike. Thanks to all for your help.

Thats a great outcome. Good news.

Perhaps you could list the part numbers that didnt work, and the one that did?

Might be useful to the next person with the same issue.

-Steve

Yeah. Me!
punk.gif

Alrighty. Yamaha lock assemblies that did not work: 2PP-F81C0-V0 (Rekeyable Lock) and 52S-21780-09.

What does work: 5P5-28406-09-00

Good information. Who recommended the two "wrong" lock assemblies you tried? My comments were based on the assumption that you were using a Yamaha-recommended assembly. Also based on my experience with a set of standard Yamaha FJR replacement locks. (One of the original sidecase locks on my lightly used '07 was missing when I bought the bike.)

I looked them up and the information for the 2PP-F81C0-V0 specifically states "FJR1300: Lock assembly will not fit Original Side and Top Cases, but the internal components provided with this lock can also be used to re-key the original Side Case and Top Case locks to match the motorcycle’s ignition lock." (Obvious typo in the description) So, you could use the wafers from that set to rekey your new lock but the cylinder itself would not work. (I rekeyed a replacement sidecase lock on my '07 by swapping wafers around and using a small file to enlarge the inside of one of the wafers - local locksmith didn't have the right parts in stock.)

The other one (52S-21780-09) lists a number of Yamaha fitments but does NOT include the FJR.

Quick Google search using just the part numbers (no reference to Yamaha, lock or topcase) brought up the information.

Thanks for that info. My first two locksets came from my searches. They came from Partzilla. I mistakenly put in 55L top case or 50L top case which apparently may not be compatible.