Knackered pannier lid lock mechanism

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowie

Reaction score
Bugger! Broke the mechanism that releases the lid from the pannier case.

Took a while to work out how to get it open again to retrieve some valuables inside. Started by drilling out the rivets that hold the hinges on the bottom. Then, gently separating the cover from the lid. Then drilling out the rivets that locate the four lock points.

I'm usually pretty good at working out fixes, but can't see a way to restore this case to its normal way of doing things. Can't find any info on replacement parts for the lock releasing stuff (not the locks on top, but the mechanism that runs from those locks to the four latches).

I figure the best solution is to just buy another case and then just swap the actual keyed locks. BUT in the meantime I plan to re-rivet the lid back onto to the casing and take it down to a local locksmith. Some alternate locking latch/s will have to do for now and I'm hoping he might have some good ideas.

Yeah. That's the plan.
Moulding stamps on the insides of the gizzards seem to indicate the cases have nothing at all to do with Yamaha -except being made to fit their dimensions and reqs.

Too hard!

Will look for another case.

Thanks for the link :)

Last edited:
Yeah. That's the plan.
Moulding stamps on the insides of the gizzards seem to indicate the cases have nothing at all to do with Yamaha -except being made to fit their dimensions and reqs.

Too hard!

Will just look for another case and carry on knowing I do dumb shit every now and then (like pulling a wee bit (read shitloads) too hard on that lever)
All cases fit all years - only differences are colors and emblems. Might make the search easier.
Tip for opening/closing the bag...
Push on the lid with your thigh to compress the gaskets and reduce the strain on the lever when opening or closing the case.

With respect to the mechanism that holds the bag on the bike - don't force it or you will skip or break a tooth. I don't know if it helps or not but every now and then (maybe once per year) I use a hose to flush out the mechanism while lifting and lowering the handle that extends the tabs that lock into the frame.

Yowie - Hope you get it fixed w/o too much cost and trouble.

RossKean - Good idea, glad you posted this! My bag lids open and close OK, but removing the bags from the bike requires too much force. Hopefully a good cleaning will solve the problem.

Got a picture of what broke? When I bought my bike it had a partially busted latch, but I was able to just gorilla glue it back together. The "hook" had broken off the plate.

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_171741.jpg
    IMG_20210418_171741.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210419_063319_1.jpg
    IMG_20210419_063319_1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Tricky to get a pic of the broken bit. It's a piece that gets pushed/pulled by the lever. It's right up the back of the lever. If you shine a torch under the lever you can just see it. When the lever is raised it pulls that piece. Two pins moulded into the piece fit into holes in the lever. The pins have broken off mine due to excess force.

It would be possible to cut away material from the inside of the case to gain access, but patience can be handy in situations like this. More dang patience when trying to open the case would have been handier.
And now another L/H case would be handiest of all! :)

Depending on how good a locking solution I can come up with I'll continue using that case, though it will not be as weatherproof as it once was. But if I get another case I will cut the broken case open to see just how that mechanism works - and post photos.

On the bright side, the mechanism that attaches the case to the bike is unharmed and the actual lock still works as it should.

Cheers.

Last edited: