5amp fuse in power plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry 07 FJR1300AE

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a 5A fuse in replacement of the factory 3A for the factory cigarette lighter plug? I need to use a 12v 4.5A inflator to blow up my girlfriend @ EOM. HA Seriously it's for an air mattress. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I haven't...I wouldn't unless I knew the wire was 18 gauge or thicker for a 5 amp fuse. For 10 amps...I'd ponder 16 gauge...which I'm sure the stock wiring isn't.

You can put in a fuse that protects the wiring rather than the accessories. Assuming the wires for the accessory plug are 14 ga, you can use a fuse as high as 30 amps to enable jumping and high amp charging of the battery. Accessory fuse protection is often part of the cigar-lighter plug anyway. I don't know the wire gauge of a gen II accessory plug, but use a Powerlet plug that connects to a fused SAE connector that I do use for battery charging and emergency starts for other motorcycles. I generally run a high-amp (15) fuse to the outlet, and have most accessories connected to a fuze block. The occasional accessory I use in the outlet is always fused in the plug.

I had to recharge the battery today after a bone-head discharge from the GPS. I am replacing the battery with a Shorai LiFEPO4 battery that will not sulfonate when I am absent minded. I'm pretty sure my batt is on borrowed time, but I got it to take a charge.

Great info guys. The wire is of course not easy to get to. Anyone know the wire size by chance? I assume if a 3A is in there a 5A for very infrequent use wont hurt it. Just to be on the safe side. I have actually made up a jumper for my battery tender plug so it doesnt matter anymore. I have to buy a fuse so i am gonna buy a 5A unless someone says otherwise. Thanks

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What he said.

The FJR didn't have the accessory plug when it first came out, it was added in response to a lot of user whining.

"Wah! We ain't got no place to connectulate our phones!!!!"

Count on the fact that they did not redesign the entire wiring harness to carry any extra load associated with it. Charge your phone, power up your GPS, but don't run any air compressors or AC inverters off that plug.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What he said.

The FJR didn't have the accessory plug when it first came out, it was added in response to a lot of user whining.

"Wah! We ain't got no place to connectulate our phones!!!!"

Count on the fact that they did not redesign the entire wiring harness to carry any extra load associated with it. Charge your phone, power up your GPS, but don't run any air compressors or AC inverters off that plug.
Agreed

Gawd...I hate doing it, but I gotta agree with the Peanut Gallery. You will save yourself a lot of heartache by getting a marine grade plug with its own fused line, or a breaker like mine.

Wire it to the battery or through a fuse box and do all your dirty work through that. It is safer and way more convenient than dealing with the glove box door. You can mount your new plug wherever you like...

Yep! I'm Not an Electrical Guy But, I've Read a Few Horror Stories about People Frying their Wires with Mini Compressors using the Glove Box Outlet. :nono: :no2: :no:

Last edited by a moderator: