600 mile service - can I do it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to do my own work when possible.

Link to owners manual general maint and adjustments for the FJR:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8sr9b9MJmxaMHVLRHQtX1o2aEE/view?usp=sharing

Everyone has this but it's always good to take a look from time to time. No law against checking or adjusting something early! I keep a copy of this in my maintenance binder, along with other maintenance records.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I asked my dealership if they would have any problem with me doing the 600 mile maintenance, and mentioned that I had done all my own maintenance on my old '05. They said absolutely not, just keep your receipts and you're good to go.
Fred, even with the receipts, did you concern yourself with using EOM fllter, fluids, etc. or you think it wouldn't matter?

FWIW I asked my dealership if they would have any problem with me doing the 600 mile maintenance, and mentioned that I had done all my own maintenance on my old '05. They said absolutely not, just keep your receipts and you're good to go.
Fred, even with the receipts, did you concern yourself with using EOM fllter, fluids, etc. or you think it wouldn't matter?
I did not. I used Mobil 1 15W50, a Bosch oil filter, and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Gear lube in the final drive. I guess the only way it would ever matter is if I had an engine or final drive failure attributable to lubrication breakdown and they thought the Mobil 1 products or the non-OEM oil filter were responsible for that somehow. Kind of unlikely to occur, and they would also need to prove that the products that I used were inadequate for the application.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that they can't refuse to cover a warranty because you used products other than the OEM's branded ones.

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives."

Last edited by a moderator:
My 4K service (2014A) is due. Doesn't look like much but a fluid change. May buy the fluids/filter/filter wrench and try it myself.

I have the only FJR my dealer has sold in anyone's memory and one of only two that are owned in the Helena area. When I walk in the dealership, half the staff will ask me how it's running, am I riding it much etc. The only things I've ever needed were the o'rings for replacing when I checked the valves, an emblem off the side case (warranty) and chain lube for my wife's bike. I think they are a little disappointed.