A Couple of Days on the Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadGlide

Reaction score
I left Jacksonville, FL with a couple of friends to enjoy a little ride. With a few days off and nothing else to do (though not according to my wife), we headed north taking all back roads and staying as close as possible to the ocean. US 17 N and A1A provided most of the pleasant viewing while passing through ST Marys and Savannah GA then Beaufort and stopping in Charleston SC for the night. We departed in the am thursday to a beautiful sunrise over the ocean while heading north on US17. Passing through Mryle Beach saw many spring breakers already out of school and lots of traffic. Lunch time had us arriving in Wilmington NC, host location for the Cape Fear 1000 Rally this year. One objective was to locate the host hotel. Trying to find the rally site in a busy city after being up for 26 hours is sometimes difficult for us old guys. We had lunch at White's Cafe, a nice little old home cooking diner. Great food! After lunch and checking out the rally host site we traveled west and picked up all back roads to eventually turn south and back to Goose Creek SC to spend the night. AM friday and it's time to hit the road and get back home to Florida. We head to state road 61 from Charleston to Summerville riding by all the old plantation homes and canopy trees. It's a nice road but even better in the spring and summer when the trees are full. Two lane roads through the low country is a nice way to travel. Not many hills or tight turns but rolling through the gentle curves at 75 can also be fun. We arrived back in Jacksonville FL around 2pm and covered just over 1,000 miles. It was a good time and cleared out the cobb webs. We tried to stay on back roads as much as possible and ate at local food establishments for each meal. A good time and one of the most laid back rides I've ever done. Normally I'm knocking down 500 to 800 days trying to get somewhere. I was a nice change of pace....now NAFO, is it July yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tune up ride, never spent much time in the low country. Sound like you hit it just right.

Planning a similar back road jaunt up to Barber next month, maybe see you there.

Roadglide that sounds like you had a nice ride. If you ever get up in that area again theres a little coastal town just south of wilmington called southport.

It's right on the water and has some killer seafood resturants.

I left Jacksonville, FL with a couple of friends to enjoy a little ride. With a few days off and nothing else to do (though not according to my wife), .

bandwidth-saving snip, snip, snip

It was a nice change of pace....now NAFO, is it July yet?
Haven't ridden that area, but I've driven it a few times, just not recently. My brother was at King's Bay for a bit when he was a nuke power tech in the underwater navy, and my sister was a Marine, got married in a chapel at Camp Lejeune. She was discharged when she got pregnant. This was the late 70s, and at the time there were no pregnant Marines!

Planning a similar back road jaunt up to Barber next month, maybe see you there.
I've got a Barber AMA thread going here. Be sure and keep up in there, I'm sure there'll be "plans" and whatnot.