A NAFO trip for GunMD and NickyTomatoes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
My son (he's 11 years old) and I take a motorcycle trip every summer. Two years ago we did southern Utah and a bunch of Colorado. Last year we did the Sierra Nevada range including a stop in Toecutter's neighborhood. This year I decided to make NAFO the destination.

The route:

NAFORoute2008.jpg

We set out on day one for the short trip from 29 Palms to Las Vegas. On day two we did a nice slab run from LV to Ogden Utah. Day three began in Ogden Canyon on hwy 39 heading towards Wyoming. Once into WY we headed south for Evanston where we picked up I-80. Having started the day on a beautiful road in Ogden Canyon we couldn't wait to get to our next fun section in the Snowy Range. A turn to the south off of I-80 on hwy 130 put us into the Snowy Range. Our destination? Snowy Range Road, a scenic byway. What a great choice this was! A truly stunning ride with breathtaking views.

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

Lake Marie is near the pass on hwy 130. It's a great place to stop and enjoy this beautiful part of Wyoming.

IMG_4141.jpg

After our tour of the Snowy Range Road scenic byway we stopped for the night in Laramie, WY.

Upon departing Laramie on day 4 we headed southwest on hwy 230, then turning south onto hwy 10. A little surprise was in store for us when hwy 10 in Wyoming turned into hwy 103 in Colorado. Pavement turned into dirt as we crossed the border into CO. Yikes. I wondered what the road was going to be like ahead, especially given the previous night's rain and the forecast for rain this day. Continue? Turn around? We stopped and consulted the road atlas and determined that we were in for about 32 miles of dirt. I decided to give it a chance and see how it went. It turns out that the road was in fantastic shape and very well maintained. At times this dirt road had me traveling at over 55mph comfortably. This leg of our trip turned out to be one of the most scenic and enjoyable. I'm sure glad I didn't turn around and head for paved roads.

Buffalo (or is it Bison?) along hwy 103 in CO:

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

One of the many great vistas from hwy 103:

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

We then continued along the front range towards Golden, but not in a straight line. Our route took us past Lyons, CO where we had a great lunch at Oskar Blues. And of course I picked up a couple of beers and a pint glass to go.

OldChubCanGlass.jpg

Our route on day four:

NAFORoute2008_day4.jpg

Once we arrived in the Golden /Denver area we went to stay with some family in Morrison, just down the road from Golden. The next day we made our way back up to Golden to check into the hotel and register for NAFO. Once NAFO began my tired little riding partner stayed with the family in Morrison. Just over 1300 miles for us on our way to NAFO. Not bad for an eleven year old. He never complained once. (More that I can say for myself.)

Friday during NAFO was a day planned by beeroux (A.K.A., GZ). GZ planned a day of brewery touring that became known as The Beer Cruise. GZ locked on our most excellent designated driver, RonC. Ron stopped by just before noon and picked up the four of us in front of the hotel. The players were GZ, Eric V, DougC, and your's truly. First stop, Lefthand Brewing in Longmont, CO.

IMG_4339.jpg

The crew of the Beer Cruise, Lefthand Brewing.

(From left to right, Ron, Eric, Me, George, Doug)

IMG_4340.jpg

Then it was off to Boulder for the Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery. This place had some pretty good beer and some really great grub. Good choice, G.

IMG_4346.jpg

Mountain sun also had our our favorite waitress in all of Boulder. Can you say Pilates? She can.

IMG_4345.jpg

Once we stuffed ourselves at Mountain Sun it was across town (after asking for directions a couple of times) to Avery Brewing.

IMG_4362.jpg

Avery had, IMO, the best selection of quality beers on our tour. They were also complementary. Free. Gratis. No dinero. Good stuff.

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

The rest of the weekend was filled with stories, lies, beer, fun, and some lies.

Here are a few random shots of the event, including a couple from my return trip.

Throwing swag:

IMG_4401.jpg

NAFO Rallymaster sneaking up on DCarver:

IMG_4418.jpg

At the staff table...

IMG_4440.jpg

SkooterG and DCarver

IMG_4443.jpg

SkooterG in the Blue Mesa Bar (crashing must really make you tired).

IMG_4465.jpg

A complimentary partial bike wash for GZ's bike

IMG_4475.jpg

Me and SkooterG in the rain at Loveland Pass (yes, it was cold)

IMG_4485.jpg

Skooter posing at Loveland Pass

IMG_4525.jpg

The road to Pike's Peak

IMG_4722.jpg

Headwaters of the Rio Grande

IMG_4883.jpg

Dude! You need to get off the interstate more!!!!

Looks like you and jarhead jr. had a great trip. Good seeing you agian.

Dude! You need to get off the interstate more!!!!
Agreed. It was in the interest of time that I spent so much of our trip on the slab.

I hit some great roads on the way home in CO that I hadn't previously been on. More report to follow later on.

AWESOME STORY.... great pics.... your son is a real trooper.... I have an 11yr old... I don't think he would do as well........ :D