A new Valkyrie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah they are dumping all 2017 and earlier F6B's in desperate move to clear the floor for the 2018 which will be 87 Lbs lighter and so technically advanced that Honda just slingshot past all other makes and models. 2018 will be a good year for Honda.
2018-honda-f6b-bagger-specs-motorcycles-bikes-1800.jpg

It doesnt look particularly desperate to me. There are some for sale on cycletrader. But the Deluxe version is pretty much gone at the major discounters, like the dealers in Russellville, Rockingham, Chattanooga.

The new model will compete with the K1600B. The BMW has 40 more bhp and weighs a lot less than the current gen F6B.

But then you have to deal with the Beemer Deeler Drama, and Ive had enough of that. The dealers are too far apart and too arrogant.

The Honda break in is 300 miles of dont drive it like you stole it, and thats it. No first service until the 4000 mile mark, like a car.

The seat is actually very comfortable, so no Russell seat in the offing, with its attendant $1000ish cost.

First valve check is at 32,000 miles.

My only complaints are that there is too much throttle free play. Ill address that this week. And the Helm sourced service manual is currently out of stock.

If I like this bike well into next season, when there are 2018 leftovers, Ill test ride the new one and probably trade again. The best bike is the next bike, but we are no longer living in the Golden Age of motorcycles. That ended with the latest round of regulations.

FWIW, this is the 50th anniversary of my first MC license, and the F6B is my 30th bike if Ive remembered them all. Its at least the 30th that I can name.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesnt look particularly desperate to me. There are some for sale on cycletrader. But the Deluxe version is pretty much gone at the major discounters, like the dealers in Russellville, Rockingham, Chattanooga.
The new model will compete with the K1600B. The BMW has 40 more bhp and weighs a lot less than the current gen F6B.

But then you have to deal with the Beemer Deeler Drama, and Ive had enough of that. The dealers are too far apart and too arrogant.

The Honda break in is 300 miles of dont drive it like you stole it, and thats it. No first service until the 4000 mile mark, like a car.

The seat is actually very comfortable, so no Russell seat in the offing, with its attendant $1000ish cost.

First valve check is at 32,000 miles.

My only complaints are that there is too much throttle free play. Ill address that this week. And the Helm sourced service manual is currently out of stock.

If I like this bike well into next season, when there are 2018 leftovers, Ill test ride the new one and probably trade again.

I like the your plan---I need to plan likewise though I will be drooling all over the first 2018 F6B I see (must have discipline)

I havent looked at it yet, but if its like other cable driven butterflies, there should be adjusters near the forks.

You have to make sure that routing is correct so that theres no impact on free play as the handle bars are turned lock to lock. And you have to also be careful about the impact on the cruise control. Ride by wire will probably be a new feature for 2018, and that will be an improvement.

In any event, the adjustment shouldnt be difficult. But this is easy to say since I havent done it yet. I will look at it later today.

I went out and looked for it. It looks like some Tupperware will have to come off to get to it.

I think Ill just talk to the service manager next time Im over there.

My routing looks good. And free play is good stop to stop. If they could just reduce it a bit, it would be nice.

One thing 30 motorcycles have taught me is that I can adjust to the bike if needed. Ive had worse throttles. Its just been a while.

I talked to a knowledgeable guy at the dealership. He said to just bring it by. He said they could sort it out in a few minutes right in the parking lot. Must be easier than I made it out to be.

Ill head over there on Thursday morning and report back after that.

Ive figured out why this throttle free play issue is bothersome. It is no worse than my old ST1100 which I loved. So why dont I like the slightest bit of free play anymore?

Ive gotten used to not having it. My other throttles have very little.

And I have one bike with ride by wire (the Tiger Explorer) and that one is really sensitive - if you want the throttle closed, youd better be damn sure youve got it closed.

So this bike has some slop. I could get used to it, but maybe I wont have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode over to Castle Powersports, the dealer who sold me the bike. Taras adjusted it in the time I took to hit the head after the 96 mile ride over there. I literally walked in, handed over my keys, went to the bathroom, walked out to the lot, and rode away. Probably 5 or 6 minutes.

So if youve got an F6B with too much free play, at least one dealer knows how to sort it out.

Its perfect now. I rode another 180 miles after the adjustment.

This bike is what I had hoped my K1600GTL would be.

Interestingly, my Tiger Explorer is the bike Id hoped my R1200GS would be.

For a guy whos owned 7 BMWs, Im not much of a fan any more.

I guess I miss BeemerDonS.

I didnt watch him. I went to the head. It was over in just a minute or two, so it must not have required R&R of anything.

There should be two adjusters. I cant feel them running down the cables. The service manual is back ordered until the end of the month. If I get the manual, Ill post.

FWIW, it should not need adjustment again for a long time.