A Proper ADV Adventure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.pfffft.. Look at what rob munro is doing...

1888504_10154543580135451_4923859966236174098_n.jpg

Great report. My brother lives on Bainbridge Island. He's a firefighter/paramedic for the Lywood department. And while he camps quite a bit, he does not ride.

I am quickly getting the appeal of these ADV bikes. When I got the FJR, it was a great tool to get me to cover long distances, and see places and meet folks I wouldn't have met otherwise. Some six years later, I've ridden most of the local roads, and the long distance rides are tough on my available vacation time, as you have "to go there to come back."

The KTM is allowing me to experience a new set of routes, across terrain I would never have set foot in via the FJR, and all quite local to me. The riding is a lot more physical, as you are standing half the time and really working your "core", forcing me to get into better shape to ride more aggressively. A long day in the dirt saddle is about 200 miles, which is barely a half-day ride on the FJR.

A bike that can do all that...pretty cool. Everyone should have a second, dirt-oriented bike, whether its a starter WR250 with knobbies or a fleshed out BMW GSA replete with Touratech livery.

Last edited by a moderator: