A Ride To See Aunt Ruth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
NOTE - apologies for this rather weak ride report. Normally would not post one like this, but since so many of ya'll are snowbound and going insane, I thought that something, even weak, is better than nothing.

Aunt Ruth.. best chocolate cake maker in the world.

When I was a kid, Uncle Dutch and Aunt Ruth would drive from Santa Monica to Reseda, CA for family BBQ's home made ice cream, and of course, chocolate cake! Uncle Dutch would bring the mini bike, and my cousin Bob and rode that thing all day long, tank after tank after tank. We thought we were hot stuff, let me tell you.

I got wind that Aunt Ruth's birthday was coming up soon, so I had to go and see her. She's in Santa Barbara, about 2 hours away.

After talking with Pattie, her daughter and caretaker, I knew that Pattie could no longer take care of Ruth, medically, without becoming the 'bad' and 'disciplinarian' daughter. Even more reason to go and see Aunt Ruth and Pattie. Having already been through the drill with my Pops, I felt my presence might reassure and comfort both of them.

Of course, every mission has stopping points, and I had to pee. Oh look, Los Alamos exit.. Perfect!

Los Alamos is a cool little town, I need to go back and spend a long afternoon there, soon.

Aunt Ruth was having a bad day, and I felt bad about taking pix.. She has Parkinsons, and stress brings on Parkinson seizures. And being placed in a rest home is stress. She went into a very painful seizure and there was nothing anyone can do..

Pattie and the killer dog. Yes, you had best beware, this pup will hurt you back. The gal in the background is Killer's trainer...

Pattie bought Aunt Ruth this killer chair. It reclines, has back support, heat, and vibrates. Aunt Ruth also has disk on disk issues, causing pinched lower back nerves. Ouch.

In Patties house, I found this pix of Uncle Dutch and Aunt Ruth, back in there youth. Uncle Dutch passed of a brain tumor back in '74, maybe '75. I still have two of his /2 BMW's in the stable. My first long trip was to Canada, with Uncle Dutch. RIP Uncle Dutch.

I'm glad I went. I saw Aunt Ruth before she started hurting, she's bright and joyful. When the pain set in, so did a bit of confusion and perhaps crankiness, then again, when you hurt that bad...

I say this again..

Should I end up dead riding my motobike due to a deer strike, crash, or whatever... well then, celebrate my life. Grab the top-shelf whiskey and party. I don't WANT to get this old...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit, you made my eyes water a little. Good stuff. I am pleased that you shared this with us. Watching those you grew up admiring grow old can be tough. My compliments for continuing to visit.

You sure make me proud of the time I spend with Dad. I have really struggled with watching a strong, wide-shouldered man grow old. He is still my hero. I am enjoying every second I have left with him.

Oh, and thanks for including a pic of the dog trainer. I can see why the dog listens to her. I have fallen under the spell of a few like that back in the day...

At first I was pissed at you... Then confused about how you could make it to Ames, IA so quickly to see MY Aunt Ruth. (I didn't even know about her cake)

Then why you would call Uncle Gene "Dutch"

But now I figured it out.

Good for you for taking the time out to see her. My hope for her is many stressless days and as little pain as possible.

Excellent ride report Don. You hit then nail on the head. If I am on a motorcycle trip and I don't come home it is ok cause there are certainly worse ways to go. My Dad is in a nursing home now and barely knows my name. He spends his days in a wheel chair because he can barely walk anymore and if he does the chance of falling over his high. Not to high jack your thread but rather to say I understand and why it touched me so.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting this report. Reading it selfishly reminds me that life indeed is short and I should make every day count. One day (if I'm lucky I suppose), I'll be Aunt Ruth. And when that day comes, if I have an ounce of memory left, I hope I can remember how much fun it was to ride my motorcycle.

Nicely done, sir.

Thanks for this reminder, Don. I firmly believe that this the best time of our lives. When we were younger, we worried about acquiring wealth and achieving success. When we get older the things we enjoy today will not be possible. I work in the healthcare field and have been helping seniors for over 35 years. What I have learned is that this window of opportunity is going to close sooner than later. Carpe Diem.

Nicely done DC. Time is short for all of us and unfortunately life goes on. Whenever you can spend time with loved ones, it's best to take advantage of it.

--G

Latest posts