ABS is erratic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get that vibration - definitely NOT the ABS. How do I know this? Well I went and tried the parking lot experiment that the A$hole suggested <_<

It works ever so much better on wet pavement. The braking power on dry pavement is phenomenal.
What happens if the ABS has a problem and isn't actually working? I suggest THIS first.
"What if" Exactly as another guy answered -- your day goes downhill quickly. Thanks for the diagnostics link.

Thanks so much for your help. A$hole.
His advice is very good. You should go out in a parking lot and try it. Meanwhile, you might want to take it down a notch and not piss off your hosts.
I asked what I thought was a legit question. For somebody to call me clueless and suggest a very dangerous test is not friendly nor is is in the spirit of this excellent forum.

His advice is very good. You should go out in a parking lot and try it. Meanwhile, you might want to take it down a notch and not piss off your hosts.
I asked what I thought was a legit question. For somebody to call me clueless and suggest a very dangerous test is not friendly nor is is in the spirit of this excellent forum.
As a relative n00b to both this forum and the FJR, I'm inclined to ask "how is this a dangerous test?"

My '07 does this, but mostly when I'm coming off the freeway as I am *releasing* the brakes from fairly hard to fairly gentle. I feel the same servo-buzz in the front lever that you feel when testing the ABS, or when it's firing for real. I don't seem to feel any change in my braking speed over what I'm doing. It's very repeatable.

EDIT: to be clear, I don't think it's an issue, maybe just a corner-case in the programming for the ABS unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a relative n00b to both this forum and the FJR, I'm inclined to ask "how is this a dangerous test?"
While the reply was kinda out of line, the same sort of "testing" put my Camaro into a concrete barrier when the ABS/power brakes failed.

I'd be worried myself about a "go fly it" sort of test, if I wasn't trusting my brakes. I wouldn't want to end up flat on my face if my front wheel locked up.

I'd be worried myself about a "go fly it" sort of test, if I wasn't trusting my brakes. I wouldn't want to end up flat on my face if my front wheel locked up.
Sorry, then you are a moron. (No offense meant ;) ) If the front wheel locks up, simply release the brakes. This is NOT rocket science, nor anything difficult. Nor is it VERY DANGEROUS.

I get that vibration - definitely NOT the ABS. How do I know this? Well I went and tried the parking lot experiment that the A$$hole suggested <_<

It works ever so much better on wet pavement. The braking power on dry pavement is phenomenal.
Ahhhhh......... this is the kind of thing that brings a smile to an A$$hole's face. ;) And yes, Gen II brakes work very well and are quite impressive. One thing I gotta give the lowly Gen II FJRs props for.
How the hell would YOU know?????
Unlike your Florida country bumpkin ass, I get out and about and have demo'd the Gen II on several occasions. I always test out the ABS brakes on any bike I demo. Most impressive that I have personally found is the new Bimmer K1600GT/GTL. Too bad they go through water pumps like mi bastard step-pappy goes through Depends.

A dangerous test?? Really?? If you don't know how to use your brakes, bring them to lockup, and release them, then maybe you should buy a Miata. Us GenII riders are spoiled with very good anti lock brakes. Like any tool that gets over used, it leads to complacency. "Oooooooh...I'm scared to use my brakes to their potential because instead of learning how to ride, I let technology make up for my shortcomings."

Seriously, of you're that scared of your brakes and are that inexperienced, sell the big mean FJR, and go buy a dirt bike. Learn what a rear slide feels like. Learn to modulate the front, and fall down a couple times. After a couple years, come back to the big bike and ride it with confidence.

Until you learn your brakes' capabilities, you are a huge liability to yourself and others.

Oh yeah....You don't have to call me an asshole. I already know I'm one and I don't give a shit what you think.

Sorry, then you are a moron. (No offense meant ;) ) If the front wheel locks up, simply release the brakes. This is NOT rocket science, nor anything difficult. Nor is it VERY DANGEROUS.
Hahahaha! Real nice. Well, I guess there's nothing to add to that. Stands by itself, it does.

Hahahaha! Real nice. Well, I guess there's nothing to add to that. Stands by itself, it does.
I just *KNEW* you would approve! :)

Interesting thread. Seems to be a divide between those who regularly will test their equipment and practice their skills, and those that don't. Which kind of scares me. No matter how hard I try, I just can 'put myself in thier shoes' and see it from a different perspective. I'm with 'Zilla in the 'liability to self and others' camp. Also that we are both A$$holes. But I am OK with that. :p

I think it's part of the "kinder, gentler" world that kids are raised in. Everyone's a winner so no one can be told they're wrong or misinformed. Out in the real world, along comes someone that doesn't candy coat things and suddenly they're the assholes and jerks. Regardless of if the information being provided is reasonable or accurate.

Being blunt is nothing more than being blunt.

I think it's part of the "kinder, gentler" world that kids are raised in. Everyone's a winner so no one can be told they're wrong or misinformed. Out in the real world, along comes someone that doesn't candy coat things and suddenly they're the assholes and jerks. Regardless of if the information being provided is reasonable or accurate.

Being blunt is nothing more than being blunt.
+1

Interesting thread. Seems to be a divide between those who regularly will test their equipment and practice their skills, and those that don't. Which kind of scares me. No matter how hard I try, I just can 'put myself in thier shoes' and see it from a different perspective. I'm with 'Zilla in the 'liability to self and others' camp. Also that we are both A$$holes. But I am OK with that. :p
I've been called the same, and have practiced it, so I,m good at it. :D

My '07 does this, but mostly when I'm coming off the freeway as I am *releasing* the brakes from fairly hard to fairly gentle. I feel the same servo-buzz in the front lever that you feel when testing the ABS, or when it's firing for real. I don't seem to feel any change in my braking speed over what I'm doing. It's very repeatable.

EDIT: to be clear, I don't think it's an issue, maybe just a corner-case in the programming for the ABS unit.
I get this occasionally too, and am happy to know that buzz tells the ABS system is working. Normal to me now. But for those who aren't familiar with ABS sytems, the default in the unlikely event of an ABS failure is to become a non-ABS system, not a brake system "failure" per se.

I get this occasionally too, and am happy to know that buzz tells the ABS system is working. Normal to me now. But for those who aren't familiar with ABS sytems, the default in the unlikely event of an ABS failure is to become a non-ABS system, not a brake system "failure" per se.
Are you *sure* it's the ABS activating? That just doesn't seem right.

Until you learn your brakes' capabilities, you are a huge liability to yourself and others.
+1. Testing your brakes abilities and panic stops is dangerous? Not doing so is dangerous IMO.

You know I hate it when I agree with you HotRodZilla. It weirds me out the whole day.

.You don't have to call me an asshole. I already know I'm one.
Thanks, that makes things feel normal again. :)

For somebody to call me clueless and suggest a very dangerous test is not friendly nor is is in the spirit of this excellent forum.
If you think that's a dangerous test you (and it seems one or two others) might want to put away your big bad145hp machine until you get a set of big girl panties. Or take a decent motorcycle class. Ideally, one should be able to lockup and recover a front brake slide....even on a non ABS bike! I foundthis local one was hugely helpful and was sliding CHiP bikes on the nose by day's end.

It's not dangerous, let alone "very dangerous", if you go practice in controlled conditions like a parking lot. (I guess I have to remind you to pick one without walls nearby :blink: )

And it this thread and responses are EXACTLY in the spirit of this excellent forum. You might reread #6 as it applies. ;)

If you think that's a dangerous test you (and it seems one or two others) might want to put away your big bad145hp machine until you get a set of big girl panties. Or take a decent motorcycle class. Ideally, one should be able to lockup and recover a front brake slide....even on a non ABS bike! I foundthis local one was hugely helpful and was sliding CHiP bikes on the nose by day's end.
I'm just curious...that class looks like it would be a good one...but do they teach you to "lay 'er down" like the Hollywood CHiPs riders did on the TV show? ;)

I've seen those motor officer bike rodeo videos...they sure know how to handle their bikes.