ABS Red Blinking Light Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintster11

Reaction score
Last two rides on my 2006 my ABS light started blinking half way through ride. When I turn the key off and back on again it goes off, but then starts blinking again during ride. Never any issues prior to this.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint

Have you had the wheels off lately? Sensors are quite easily damaged and the magnets will pick up crap.

Remove and have a look at the condition of the sensors on front and back wheels.

Check condition of the wires to the sensors.

These are the first things I would do.

Is the ABS working? Give it a try on some wet pavement or on sandy asphalt.

I had similar problem on my 2014 last weekend. Went out for first ride of the season just out to Salmon River. The rear felt spongy then the abs light started flashing so I came home ,checked the fluids, the rear reservoir was brown mud the front was dark but could see to the bottom, and the clutch was black mud! Bled the brakes and clutch, Brakes feel better the light quit flashing. I'm sure I asked the dealer when I bought the bike last year to change all fluids.They obviously didn't. So just a suggestion, but it worked for me!
smile.png

Checked the sensors this morning and the back one was corroded. Cleaned both, will go for a ride when the rain stops later today to check. Will dive into that if this doesn't works but brakes feel good.

Thanks to both of you for feedback!

Clinster, double check that your brake pedal isn't sticking. About once a year, the pivot needs cleaned and lubed. When it starts sticking, your rear brakes stay activated, causing all kinds of issues. Maybe it was your sensor, but pay attention to that pivot also.

Clinster, double check that your brake pedal isn't sticking. About once a year, the pivot needs cleaned and lubed. When it starts sticking, your rear brakes stay activated, causing all kinds of issues. Maybe it was your sensor, but pay attention to that pivot also.
Definitely!! Regular maintenance item - especially if the bike ever sees the rain! A very common problem that can cause ABS issues or smoke your brake pads and rear rotor! (You will also be "that guy" riding along with the brake lights on all the time!) Use a good waterproof grease after cleaning with something like Varsol on a rag to remove the old grease and crud. The sticky brake was the root cause of the problem in the link I posted in my original response.

While you are at it, you might as well take off the shifter on the left side and clean/re-grease the pivot and those linkages. Watch the order of washers and especially the "wave" washer on the pivot. Use some blue Loctite on the pivot bolt threads and don't over-tighten or you will cause binding. Make sure it moves freely before re-assembly. If you haven't done this before, you'll be amazed at how smoothly the bike shifts!

Glad the sensor service helped. Note: I have found that the sensor tends to corrode a bit making it hard to remove. When I change tires, I always clean it up making sure nothing magnetic is stuck to it and smear a SMALL AMOUNT of dielectric (silicone) grease on the mating flange to make future removal easier.

Last edited by a moderator: