AE 1st gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psd2001

Reaction score
New owner of a 2006 AE. 1st gear scary leaving driveways. Throttle really sensitive. Any advise will help. Thanks

Takes a little while to get used to. Basicly you are retraining your right hand. Instead of feathering the clutch your looking for that sweet spot where the ycc lets the clutch grab.As for the sensitivity for mine I did the throttle spring unwind (makes it easier to control). I also have grip puppies installed so the diameter of the grip is larger, also adds to the control. Others have installed different throttle tube etc.YMMV. ;)

G2 throttle tube and a Power Commander with the smoothness map. That'll fix it.

G2 fixed it for me. I find I can stay in the friction zone using throttle since I changed it, much finer control. The original throttle tube was almost like an on/off switch.

Griff

You can do the throttle return spring unwind mod as well to lower the tension required to twist the throttle.

Quickly do a search before you get flamed.

When I got my first AE (an '06), I felt like the hardest part to master was pulling up out of a lower driveway onto a main road with major traffic. I ended up learning a technique that involved some rear brake, and higher rpm than normal idle before take off.

It worked out for me, and after a few such experiences that were anxiety producing, the anxiety diminished, and eventually disappeared. I never installed any throttle tubes. I didn't unwind any springs. I did not install a power commander. I got over it just by adapting my technique.

Sounds like on the AE...the rear brake smooths everything out at low speeds and provides the control that a clutch provides on the standard model.

When I got my first AE (an '06), I felt like the hardest part to master was pulling up out of a lower driveway onto a main road with major traffic. I ended up learning a technique that involved some rear brake, and higher rpm than normal idle before take off.

It worked out for me, and after a few such experiences that were anxiety producing, the anxiety diminished, and eventually disappeared. I never installed any throttle tubes. I didn't unwind any springs. I did not install a power commander. I got over it just by adapting my technique.
There's a world of difference between your '09 and the OP's '06. The change in the throttle cam in '08 made the later ones much easier to control.

I modified the cam on the OEM throttle tube of my '06, that helped, but the '10 was comparative bliss to use for low-speed manoeuvring and rolling-on out of corners.

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:

There's a world of difference between your '09 and the OP's '06. The change in the throttle cam in '08 made the later ones much easier to control.

I modified the cam on the OEM throttle tube of my '06, that helped, but the '10 was comparative bliss to use for low-speed manoeuvring and rolling-on out of corners.
Yes there is a world of difference between those two models. But if you note in my unedited post above, and in fact even in the part of my post that you quoted, I was referring to my first AE, which was an '06.

I did not want to confuse the OP with unrelated BS related to my later bike. And I did not want to rub it in that there had been some improvements between the original model release year, and models released closer to the end of the US importation period.

My comments were about my '06.

I'm sooo surprised you are having a problem with the initial engagement of the AE clutch upon throttle tip-in. I just started riding my first 07 AE that just had 1000 miles on it. It is buttery smooth. Look for the links that talk about soaking the clutch plated. This may just do the trick, but then I'm just a newby as well. Good luck. :yahoo:

Yes there is a world of difference between those two models. But if you note in my unedited post above, and in fact even in the part of my post that you quoted, I was referring to my first AE, which was an '06.

I did not want to confuse the OP with unrelated BS related to my later bike. And I did not want to rub it in that there had been some improvements between the original model release year, and models released closer to the end of the US importation period.

My comments were about my '06.
Missed that, apologies, it's doubly bad of me since your English is better than most
sad.gif

New owner of a 2006 AE. 1st gear scary leaving driveways. Throttle really sensitive. Any advise will help. Thanks
Found the same thing myself. Spring unwind will help.Stick with it and practice. Take control and make the bike do what you want it to. It's like a wild stallion and needs to learn who's the the boss. You will overcome and never regret your choice.

Found the same thing myself. Spring unwind will help.Stick with it and practice. Take control and make the bike do what you want it to. It's like a wild stallion and needs to learn who's the the boss. You will overcome and never regret your choice.
I agree, but the inevitable already happened. Layed the bike down turning left on a wet intersection. Only damage is the frame slider. Ordering G2 now and thicker grips and also look into the unwind mod.

Dang sorry to hear about that PSD. I have an 07 AE. All I did was add a PCV and that solved my problem. It made a huge difference. Adding the G2 might help further but I dont feel its necessary for me. Good luck and be safe.