AE Cornering Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DagoFeejer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I came from the ST1300 side of the street but really like the Yami AE. My only complaint thus far, and it might just be my riding style (20 years, all ruber side down so far) is that cornering on the AE is abrupt, not smooth. This is probably due to the abruptness of the throttle (I searched first...) but it is weird. It goes like this: I slow to corner, downshift (usually into second), and when I go to power out of the corner the throttle just comes on. Now usually I'd feather the clutch while powering out of the corner and it'd be smooth sailing, but this herkie-jerky-ness has got me somewhat unerved for the wet days. The bike has a G2 throttle tube on it and grip puppies already. Tips, pearls, pitfalls would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of getting a PCIII but will deter until I hear from the gang.

Ride safe and thanks again for reading and any suggestions you may have.

Dago

I ride an AE...

Try staying on the throttle lightly as you downshift...and downshift before you start turning.

Remember: slow in - fast out when cornering.

Just give it some more time. You need to get used to doing things just a bit different on the AE. I feel much more comfortable now while cornering than I used to. I definitely use my gears more than my brakes to control speed in the corners. The touchy throttle also take a bit of time to learn. I found most of my throttle issues were a result of not being well balanced on the bike (sitting too far back in the seat.) When shifting from 1st - 3rd, I don't let off the throttle at all, maintaining steady pressure, however for 4th and 5th, I roll off the throttle just ever so slightly. This practice gives me relatively smooth shifts. The PCIII can't hurt though.

Have fun!

When you begin entering the corner and start backing off of the throttle, do not chop it completely. There's a fine line between having the trottle off (chopped), and having it on ever so slightly. It's something you will learn with practice on the AE. In time, you will be comming out of turns as smooth as butter.

I have an 08 AE and I've found that just a "twitch" of the wrist while shifting makes it butter smooth. Both up and down. I also intitially concentrated on "pushing" my right thumb forward slowly. That took the abruptness out of the pickup for me. Now it's natural and as smooth as any of the Honda's/regular clutch bikes I've ridden. Spent the day yesterday all up and down the gearbox in the twisties. Great fun. Just takes some time to get used to it.

It's all about the timing. I tried alternating shifts between the finger shift and toe shift. Interesting experiment that actually helped my timing. Best thing is it takes practice which means more riding.

If you have to feather the clutch to accelerate out of a corner on a bike with a clutch you need to learn how to control the throttle. Also, learning the technique of rev-matching (rev the engine to match the rear wheel speed in the next lower gear) when you downshift will make the transition between gears smoother. Without a clutch your AE is just bring out the lack of throttle control--just takes practice.

I think I'd try some empty parking lot practice, using a straight and level surface to accelerate from different speeds in different gears. This should help you find the best your bike has to offer. If you can't find something that works good for you, then PCIII might be best. Of course, this assumes the bike is running properly. Might try some fuel system cleaner and/or a tune up (look at plugs, TB sync, air filter) to make sure you're getting the best from what you've got.

Sometimes EFI bikes seem abrupt to me too, since I was raised on CV carb bikes that took more time to build thrust. I didn't need any mods to find my happy spot in FJR corner acceleration, but then I'm on a Gen I.

Good luck!

WJ

... downshift (usually into second), and when I go to power out of the corner the throttle just comes on. Now usually I'd feather the clutch while powering out ...Dago
One way is to feather the rear brake. This controls the rear wheel torque as you come on the throttle. As others have suggested, practice it in a straight line first to get the feel.

....this assumes the bike is running properly. Might try some fuel system cleaner and/or a tune up (look at plugs, TB sync, air filter) to make sure you're getting the best from what you've got.

I'm with WJ. This sounds more like an equipment issue to me. I would have my mechanic ensure that the bike is timed properly and is getting a good clean fuel/air mix.

My '08 AE has grip puppies and a "cramp buster" like device, but IMHO neither of these items has anything to do with smoothness through the corners. The bottom line is the AE is no different than it's A brother, other than the fact it just doesn't have a clutch lever. You set up for the corner with the proper gear just the same as you do with a manual clutch, you roll out of the apex and shift up just as you do with a manual clutch bike. I can't imagine ever having a reason to have the clutch disengaged in a normal cornering procedure. If it's feeling herky jerky, it's either something in the equipment or in your riding technique, clutch or no clutch. I assure you it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact the bike is an AE.

One thing I do have that I think helps overall smoothness of the throttle is a throttlemeister. Obviously, it is set at full resistance on the highway when I am using it as intended as a cruise control. However, I generally keep it 80-90% taunt even for normal riding, around town and twisties. This forces me to roll off of the throttle instead of just releasing it and letting the spring return the throttle to the closed position. I find the throttle operation to be much smoother with a little resistance provided by the throttlemeister. But again, this is not an AE specific issue.

As some have said, it could be that you just need more practice time to get used to it. The AE sometimes gets a bad rap here on the forum and I can tell you I am not the only one who hates to see Yammie discontinue the AE in 2010. The bike performs flawlessly and is an absolute joy to ride. This is nothing against those that are traditional and feel the need to have a clutch lever.

But honestly, the AE really is no different and requires very little change in riding style, if any at all. I think the only thing I have found that necessitates any different approach is 1) you don't have a clutch to pull in when you want to coast (whoopty shit) and 2) it does take a little bit of practice when making slow speed turns -- now that I think of it, although you said "cornering" in your post, you may have meant slow speed turns. If that's the case, use your rear brake just as you would your clutch in conjunction with the throttle to modulate your speed. Takes a little practice but you'll get the feel of it in no time. That's a topic that has been covered in the forum on numerous occassions. Try doing a search on "slow speed turns AE".

As mac said above, "feathering" the rear brake in corning situations can help keep the rear wheel loaded with torque as well. Now that he mentioned that it I am reminded that I occassionaly have the need to trailbrake into corners and then feather the rear brake going into the apex. I think you'll find that you can use the rear brake much like your "clutch crutch".

Good luck and ENJOY the AE!

Last edited by a moderator:
On the "trail braking" use lightly to scrub off speed. Practice in parking lot using second gear starts. 2nd or even 3rd gear starts in tight situations work better than 1st. The AE doesn't give you the ability to slip the clutch at low speeds so just use a gear higher. With all the torque I don't have much need for 2nd gear downshifts unless I have a significant grade change. AE is better than A in corners if used properly. You know 4-3-2-3-4 , touch rear brake lightly on the down, rocket out, etc

When I put the G2 on my AE I noticed some improvement but not as much as I had hoped for. Then I saw a few posts about slack in the throttle but didn't give much thought to it. I was getting frustrated with the lurching so I adjusted the slack out and WOW what a difference. If you have any slack get rid of it, it makes a huge difference. Granted it still takes practice and proper technique, too much throttle will still launch you but that will be because you got what you asked for. I feel much more in control of the power rather than having a surge I can't control. Now if I get too much, I know it was my fault and not the bikes.

I have an '08AE and I would highly recommend getting the PCIII and load it with the smoothness map for genII bikes. I would have sold mine if I had to ride it with the stock mappng. Good luck.

??? it is an opinion!!! More chance to make a mistake with a clutch to squeeze than a quick forefinger or thumb.

Latest posts