AE Rider Down in MO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidSilver

Reaction score
Mike from Texas? Member here?

I've heard he's OK, but his bike had lots of damage.

On Hwy 32 in east/central MO. (around Bixby)

Thanks. :worriedsmiley:

:)

We have a Richard from Texas who is on an AE, he goes by TRIPLETANGO.....Hate to hear of anyone going down. Glad to hear he is OK.

I hope that was not TTT. Met him at EOM and such a nice guy. Bad to hear about anyone going down.

Anybody have contact info for TTT so that we can check on him? I don't think I have anything from EOM.

:(

Mike from Texas? Member here?

I've heard he's OK, but his bike had lots of damage.

On Hwy 32 in east/central MO. (around Bixby)

Thanks. :worriedsmiley:

Yes, Mike aka Ziggy aka Mr Zel is on this board. He posted just a couple minutes ago. Pics of his bike are on a thread by Smitty141 about the AE cuise install. We were in fact on our way from Hooterville to Bixby for lunch.

His bike is close to totalled from the low side. Mike on the other hand is battered and bruised, but probably more disappointed and pissed. Walked away with a big scrape on his leg and a bunch of bangs. His helmet did it's job, but it broke in the fall. It's toast, but praised for effectiveness.

Other than that, Ziggy was able to ride his duct taped AE 800 miles back to Texas. The left side of the bike is toast. The side bag probably saved his left leg at least. It broke off so hard, it broke the subframe. His frame slider saved the front end, too, and the case was undamaged. The tupperware is totally shredded, though, and held on by duct tape. His left handlebar was bent LOOSE, but Smitty was able to tighten the bolts back down. Everything on the left side is trashed, except the case. Look at the right side, and it still looks like brand new.

Ziggy took it well, kept his act together, got back on the horse and rode it home. Unfortunate to say the least, but not only has a "war story" to tell, he lived to tell it, and that's what REALLY counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man!!!

I am glad he's OK...

You guys didnt get very far away from Smittys, Thank God!

Heal quickly!

Adam

Oh man!!!I am glad he's OK...

Heal quickly!

Adam
He went down about 5 miles NE of Bixby, I think we were on 32, but it might have been DD. I get turned around down there pretty easily. There's an S curve that eats a lot of vehicles in this one section. This one is a sharp turn and a fairly steep hill. There's a couple turns on that road that are off camber, reducing radius, then steep down and up to the other direction. Very tricky. And it was near sunset with the sun flashing through the bald trees. And starting to cool off. Combination of lots of things.

He went down about 5 miles NE of Bixby, I think we were on 32, but it might have been DD. I get turned around down there pretty easily. There's an S curve that eats a lot of vehicles in this one section. This one is a sharp turn and a fairly steep hill. There's a couple turns on that road that are off camber, reducing radius, then steep down and up to the other direction. Very tricky. And it was near sunset with the sun flashing through the bald trees. And starting to cool off. Combination of lots of things.
Thanks for the update. Hope the rider was okay for the long trip home... I always get nervous when a guy gets up without a really good rest and examination, because I watched a guy get up after a wreck... ended up getting severely sick at the hotel that night.

Best to the fallen rider.

These curves in my backyard are a trip if you're not familiar with them. If it was 5 miles NE of Bixby, it was MO32. The road is massively wide and banked, but has elevation changes like a roller coaster, literally. There are no reference points to look at. If you look where you want to go, and are under triple-digits, you'll make the curve... but you have to believe in God. :blink:

Of course, having roads like this in your backyard, and others more technical, are perhaps why I can't get more than 2500 miles on a pair of Avons on a Ducati. :dribble:

Thanks fellas.

I just got an e-mail from Mike and he is back home in TX but I guess the healing both bike and body can officially begin. He is lucky and did get back up on the bike and go again. The helmet sure did save his head a lot of wear and tear. He was kind of groggy that evening but who would not have been.

I think that FJRocket gave a very good accounting of what happened. Over on Smitty's post he explained how a group of riders came by and the gal with them is an EMT and very bike wreck knowledgeable. She is also the wife of the founder of the Nomar Tire Changer. Class act all the way. A salute to them and a complete and speedy recovery to Mike and the bike.

I will say one thing about all of those hillbillies. Just about everyone that went by stopped to see if they could help. Not just to sight see. Great people.

Chester

That'd be Sue, member of local HSTA. Great folks.

Not all of the locals are hillbillies. They stop and ask if I'm okay even if I'm just stopped for a rest break.

Thanks for the update. Glad Mike's pretty much okay.

Must be a lot of those hillbillies in north Missouri too. Thirty years of working crashes and I ALWAYS had somebody stop to see if they could help. :)

B)

Mike, speedy recovery and good luck with (insurance ect.) getting your FJR repaired. Glad you could walk away from the crash. :clapping:

Oh man!!!

I am glad he's OK...

Heal quickly!

Adam
So, was it too much speed? Less traction than was expected?

We talk through these things but often don't really get a root cause. I'd like to take something away from these very personal stories.

Sounds like the rider's gonna be OK . . and that's a good thing.

These curves in my backyard are a trip if you're not familiar with them. If it was 5 miles NE of Bixby, it was MO32. The road is massively wide and banked, but has elevation changes like a roller coaster, literally. There are no reference points to look at. If you look where you want to go, and are under triple-digits, you'll make the curve... but you have to believe in God. :blink:
Of course, having roads like this in your backyard, and others more technical, are perhaps why I can't get more than 2500 miles on a pair of Avons on a Ducati. :dribble:

Thanks fellas.

+1 :yahoo:

Ziggy here from texas

I Am sore and a little sad over the crash of my 3 week old FJR but insurance co. thinks it can be repaired so smittys work will probly be still in tact after repair and that is why I was there in the first place. I realy apreciate all the good wishes and will be back on my FJR as soon as posible am starting to get withdralals for lack of riding already. I am planing on going back up to hooterville in the spring and will be on those beutiful roads agin this time it will be riding not crashing i hope but that in gods hands. All the safety things helmet and jacket ect. did there job I would not be in such good shape if not wearing them and can't understand people who don't and think that nothing will happen to them you know them, I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would go down like that have rode for over 40 years and only one crash, so use your safety stuff every time you go out take it from me ya never know whats around the next corner!!!!

So once agin thanks for all the help at the incident and all the well wishes here on the Forum. See all YA around the block.

Ziggy

Mr.Zel, Just read about your get-off. Looks like your o.k. and in good spirits. Best of luck with the insurance co. Speaking of good spirits, I think I'll have a drink. Take care, Steve

Good to get back on and ride 800 miles home. I was wondering, did you borrow a 'hardhat' for the ride home? Tell me ya didn't ride with the broken one. TJ