AE start up question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkey

Reaction score
3 month owner of a 06 AE with 10K miles on it. I just noticed that upon start up, it sounds like the electric clutch is trying to engage despite being in neutral. I can even notice a dip in the RPM's when it occurs. When I ride, I don't notice any issues and when I shut it down, it is almost always in neutral. I don't think it was doing that when I initially bought it and rode it 300miles home.

Thoughts or ideas?

I was gonna ask that same thing when i bought my AE. Somewhere in this forum they explained that during idle especially when the engine is cold its sounds like the engine is running backwards which in turn sounds like the clutch engaging. Im sure someone here can explain it better than me.

3 month owner of a 06 AE with 10K miles on it. I just noticed that upon start up, it sounds like the electric clutch is trying to engage despite being in neutral. I can even notice a dip in the RPM's when it occurs. When I ride, I don't notice any issues and when I shut it down, it is almost always in neutral. I don't think it was doing that when I initially bought it and rode it 300miles home.
Thoughts or ideas?
Sometimes during warm-up the engine will occasionally misfire. This usually causes a clunk from the transmission as the engine slows for an instant, "exercising" the backlash. Nothing unusual for an FJR, nothing to worry about.

The clutch is always fully engaged while the bike is in neutral, it only disengages when you change into gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Mine does the same thing until warm and idle speed drops to normal.

I don't work well either when just woken up, at least until the first cup of tea!.

Funny, I've never once experienced this on my '09 AE

I can add however on a cold day, it takes a lil warm-up or you have to assert more throttle to engage. I always would let her idle for a bar or two.

Funny, I've never once experienced this on my '09 AE
I can add however on a cold day, it takes a lil warm-up or you have to assert more throttle to engage. I always would let her idle for a bar or two.
This right here is true, Sharkey and always a got idea. First throttle twist of the day is better with it warmed up. :)

I have never noticed anything like what you guys are describing.... Maybe bc i will turn the bike first and then start looking for All my gear.

Great, thanks for the info. I was worried for a bit. A fellow rider on a local forum has an 07 AE and stated his didn't do it. As long as I'm not the only one, I feel better. As I said, it rides fine and no warning lights were on.