AE vs Standard Clutch Pro and Con

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, now that I've done that. I've said this before but I really could go either way on the AE most of the time. However, I commute on my bike and when I'm stuck in heavy traffic, like this morning, that AE is GOLD!

I posted this video before (Yes I know my handlebars were at two different settings, fixed now!) but it shows the use of the AE in traffic. No more cramped clutch hands for me!

I don't have the AE and if that had been the bike traded in at my dealership I likely would not have bought it. I like having the regular clutch even with all of the downsides that entails. To me there is just something about having that clutch and the rider control that goes with it that makes riding what it is. Of course I've never ridden an AE either.

Well it seems I am one step closer, should know end of day or tomorrow. I am probably going to go with the AE I can get Y.E.S. with it so that is the plus as the sshop I use I get all my bikes and parts form. Great people there and would not consider anyplace else.

With all the info I have now, I will make sure all the recalls are done and general tech notes as well

Just to add my (heavily biased) 2 pennies' worth.
I would not be riding had Yamaha not brought out the FJR1300AS (as it is known this side of the pond) due to an uncooperative left little finger (hence my bias).

The clutch and gearbox are virtually identical between the two models, the only difference is the shift pattern (neutral at the bottom on the AE). So the only (?) extra components to add to unreliability are the two actuators (clutch and shift) and the ECU that controls them. Any problems with the clutch itself or the gearbox itself are common to both. (I've never heard of an AE with bent shift forks or jumping out of gear, so the AE 'box is probably more reliable.)

In riding, the AE has advantages

• Impossible to stall - try moving from rest in 5th, it won't stall. (Won't accelerate very quickly, either
    rolleyes.gif
    );
  • Can't miss a gear change;
  • In the twisties where the ease of flicking up and down the gears quickly and reliably with just your finger, which gives (at least for me) an improved experience over the cumbersome needs of a clutch lever and mechanical foot lever;
  • The ability to drop 1 or more gears very quickly to do an unexpected overtake;
  • In heavy traffic;
  • Enables you to safely get away with some bad practices such as changing gear mid corner;
and disadvantages

• Low speed manoeuvres (for which you have to learn a different technique);
  • Inability to feather the clutch to smooth drive take-up (see comments below about throttle cam);
Some stuff mentioned such as clutch soaks may be required by manually operated or electrically operated clutches.

One of the main issues with the '06 and '07, conventional and YCC-S, is that Yamaha altered the throttle cam profile on these to give an abrupt onset of power. This can cause problems in putting on the power in corners. This is more of an issue with the AE because you can't feather the clutch to smooth power delivery. Many have put on a compensating throttle tube and/or a PCIII fuel injection modifying computer to improve things. The '08 onwards reverted to a sensible throttle cam profile (I had an '06 then a '10, the difference is chalk and cheese).

There have been some YCC-S problems. Early ones were recalled to fit a stronger actuator mount (Yamaha will still honour that recall). There have been a few error codes thrown up, some due to the well documented earthing "features" of the Gen II's wiring loom, a few due to the "extra complexity". Personally, I don't worry at all about possible failures, any more than the rest of the bike, which seems to be a pretty reliable beast. Before going on long trips I simply check tyre tread depth and tyre pressures, load up and go. (Gave up checking oil and coolant levels between services years ago - except when I'm feeling guilty about not checking
mda.gif
.)

Final comment: The vast majority of FJR owners seem to view their bikes as "keepers", both conventional and YCC-S. Very few YCC-S owners have said they regret the decision to have one. The usual advice to potential buyers of either is "Buy it, you won't regret it".

Oh yes, I changed from my '06 to a '10 because Yamaha were threatening to withdraw the AS from the UK market, I wanted to get the latest before they did so. In the end they didn't drop it (and are now coming out with the Gen III AS). There was nothing wrong with my '06.
+1. Well put. Totally true with '06 that I own.

I will pleade ignorance here, Explain YCC-S

MeH never Mind found the answer

I was reading on the YCC-S and found this with regards to a comment about bump starting. It seems you can according to this

Stopped in gear with engine off Try to push the bike The bike will be in gear like any traditional manual transmission. However, if you turn the key on and pull the front brake, the clutch will disengage so that you can push the bike.

Assuming they mean just to feather the brake enough to engage the clutch

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to ride them both and see what you like best .
Exactly Blueman - that's what I tell my A friends as well, along with "don't knock it till ya try it....". Both are awesome machines - and yes, unlike many of my A friends, I have ridden both.

There have been a few times (VERY few that is) that I have said to my self "damn I wish I had a clutch lever". But there have been a million times I've thought to myself, "this flick of the finger thing is not only bad ass, but it was safer in that particular instance...".

.... and this pulling in the front brake to disengage the clutch thing is news to me. I've got to give that a try when I get home. After having a battery issues at EOM 2011 I purchased a set of jumper cables with the quick disconnect on one end. They're stored under the pillion seat and the battery tender lead is tucked in under the the right fairing just in case.

https://www.cyclenutz.com/2-Piece-Motorcycle-Jumper-Cables_p_138.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a Yamaha dealership and currently own an 09 AE. I have ridden the 13 clutched version and while it is a fine bike, I still like my AE better. Riding the twisties is very intuitive with the finger shift. I shift down going into a turn and can power out of an apex with ease using only my left index finger. I have ridden with guys on Connies and smoke em in the twisties. As far as reliability, the only thing I have ever done to mine was to have the idle speed and the clutch engagement rpm increased by about 100 to fix the bucking problem that the bike had when it was brand new. 13000 miles in 16 mos, with nothing but a grin on my face. I speak to customers all the time about the AE, we currently have a used one for sale. The problem is convincing them to try the damn thing. The previous owner traded it in for a Kaw Vulcan Vaquero, I do not know why. I have the Y.E.S. plan but have never had to use it. The shifting does take a little getting used to to blip the throttle correctly. I t took me about 5 minutes. I hope this helps

Terrific summation by MCATROPHY. I originally got the AE for the same reason, a bum left hand, can't operate the lever. Until I owned it I never realized what a great machine this is. Love my AE!
punk.gif

I love my AE. I don't have any problems with slow speed maneuvering. It's basically the same as a normal clutch. I just use a little rear brake pressure and a little throttle. It feels just like the friction zone of a regular clutch to me. I'd buy another AE in a heartbeat. But it is true most of my buddies just don't get it and wouldn't consider buying one. I always say "yeah you're right a 145 HP paddle shifted bike sux"
rolleyes.gif

I certainly thank everyone for the input. I am sold on the AE, however at this time I am going to pass on it. The numbers are just not there for the loan. Great price for a show room bike with 5400 on it and the extras of Side bags and back trunk with back rest. Frame Sliders, Exhaust and tinted shield.

I will be hanging out to get in the know for such a great bike, I am looking forward to the day I bring it home.

Humans by nature are very difficult to be persuaded from what we know. I couldn't even begin to count the number of things I've stubbornly hung onto because once we try something and it works for us, it's very, very hard to get used to the idea of something else. Having a computer operate the clutch for you is either going to appeal to you, or it's not. Kinda like Harley's. Even if most riders tried and like an AE, they still wouldn't be able to convince themselves to buy one because it's not what they know.

I certainly thank everyone for the input. I am sold on the AE, however at this time I am going to pass on it. The numbers are just not there for the loan. Great price for a show room bike with 5400 on it and the extras of Side bags and back trunk with back rest. Frame Sliders, Exhaust and tinted shield.
I will be hanging out to get in the know for such a great bike, I am looking forward to the day I bring it home.
FYI...Sidebags are not extra. Standard for this sportstourer.

Okay, I confess, the AE has a downside. Moving at a very slow speed (just fast enough to balance) across a small patch of ice, the back wheel will push faster than the front wheel wants to move. With no clutch lever the back tries to pass the front.
lazy.gif
DAMHIK.

Be patient and an AE will be advertised here with the mileage you are looking for & price in your budget.

I like shifting and saw the AE as something else that could go wrong. With that said I haven’t seen very many issues posted on this forum to make me say, I’m glad I didn’t get an AE. You can’t go wrong with either one.

Well there is one issue, the manual shift riders like to make the AE riders buy lunch.
smile.png

Be patient and an AE will be advertised here with the mileage you are looking for & price in your budget.

I like shifting and saw the AE as something else that could go wrong. With that said I haven’t seen very many issues posted on this forum to make me say, I’m glad I didn’t get an AE. You can’t go wrong with either one.

Well there is one issue, the manual shift riders like to make the AE riders buy lunch. :)
Why?! Because you smoke them on the twisties? :)