Air Filter - Change it? 36K miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHANGE IT!!!! Yamaha specifes REPLACING it every 12,000 miles, less if ridden in wet weather.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

Is $25 that freaking much money every 12,000 miles?!?!?! What is piece of mind worth? No offense, but you're the kind of guy I am always afraid of buying a used bike from!

I mean in those miles, you have spent approximately $800-$1200 in gas. And how much in tires? Or oil? (Assuming you actually change that) What is a measly $25 and 45 minutes of work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever bogarted Skooter's Valium, please give it back. I replaced mine at 24k, after having the dealer tell me it looked good up to that time. With a few miles of playa dust, various & sundry cowpies ingested, & a number of other gunky endeavors, suffice to say that it felt like a new bike after the new filter was installed. In fact, i was launching down an empty on-ramp right after that & was instantly reminded how an FJR was supposed to behave. Do it.

CHANGE IT!!!! Yamaha specifes REPLACING it every 12,000 miles, less if ridden in wet weather.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

Is $25 that freaking much money every 12,000 miles?!?!?! What is piece of mind worth? No offense, but you're the kind of guy I am always afraid of buying a used bike from!

I mean in those miles, you have spend approximately $800-$1200 in gas. What is a measly $25 and 45 minutes of work?
DAMN RIGHT...$25 thrown in the street I says...and having to waste time and energy to pull plastic to do it

mine is still fine after 75k miles...wet weather...geez, don't get me started down here in deep south Nawlins' with rain and 101% humidity 10.9687 mo a year

bunch of hooee, I say...when Walt installed AVCC at 80k, was still clean (last service 50k)

when engine work was done at 93k...filter fine after blowing clean...we'll see at 140k when valve check...or not

runs fine...same good mileage...don't get me started with Yammy $$$ stealing maint schedule

<SHIRT STIRRING MOOD TONIGHT>

How do you stir a shirt?

Hmmmm....advice from a guy who ignored a little no-nothing noise and grenaded his engine?
Ohhhhh.... I love quoting myself!

Sorry Mike, that was a low blow. Sometimes (all the time?) I am a stubborn ass. Especially on things I feel strongly about.

Let me amend my above to say I vehemently disagree with you. Are you an automotive engineer? Do you personally know how to determine when an air filter, oil, oil filter, ect.... has reached the end of it's useful life? Let me ask you this - would you have felt confident flying your P-3 Orion knowing the lead aircraft mechanic performed maintenance based on what *he* thought was best based on his own opinions? Skipping prescribed maintenace cause he thought 'it doesn't need it'. Or would you rather fly that plane when maintenance procedures were carried out in accordance with manufacturer and navy specifications?

We all have to find a maintenace interval we can live with. I have said many a time on this forum that there are many periodic maintenance procedures I don't perform based on the advice of a trusted motorcycle tech and petroleum engineer of some type.

However, when it comes to relatively cheap piece of mind like air filters, oil filters, oil and such, why be penny wise and pound foolish? I am NOT an automotive engineer, so I'll generally follow the relatively inexpensive maintenance interval prescribed by those that know more than I.

I wish Jestal and Radman were still around. You could learn a whole metric shitload from those two, and they changed my perceptions about a lot of things technical/mechanical. Doubt they were right all the time, but a lot of years of wisdom and knowledge from those two.

How do you stir a shirt?

Hmmmm....advice from a guy who ignored a little no-nothing noise and grenaded his engine?
Ohhhhh.... I love quoting myself!

Sorry Mike, that was a low blow. Sometimes (all the time?) I am a stubborn ass. Especially on things I feel strongly about.

Let me amend my above to say I vehemently disagree with you. Are you an automotive engineer? Do you personally know how to determine when an air filter, oil, oil filter, ect.... has reached the end of it's useful life? Let me ask you this - would you have felt confident flying your P-3 Orion knowing the lead aircraft mechanic performed maintenance based on what *he* thought was best based on his own opinions? Skipping prescribed maintenace cause he thought 'it doesn't need it'. Or would you rather fly that plane when maintenance procedures were carried out in accordance with manufacturer and navy specifications?

We all have to find a maintenace interval we can live with. I have said many a time on this forum that there are many periodic maintenance procedures I don't perform based on the advice of a trusted motorcycle tech and petroleum engineer of some type.

However, when it comes to relatively cheap piece of mind like air filters, oil filters, oil and such, why be penny wise and pound foolish? I am NOT an automotive engineer, so I'll generally follow the relatively inexpensive maintenance interval prescribed by those that know more than I.
all I know is whenever I'm confortable the bike is running fine, and I take off plastic and check the coolant, air filter, plugs, pick one

and all is well from my mechanical engineering and PIC eyes, then I chuckle at ma Yamaha and her attempt to make an extra bunch of bucks

with entirely conservative schedules to get the unknowing into their dealership more often than needed

and Gawd knows, the bike will blow up if oil bottle isn't labeled "Yamaha genuine..."...same as filters, etc

so, yes, picking and choosing what one's comfort level or affordability or time/effort to maintain the bike is OK -> admittedly within reason

and no low blow taken...I laughed... <and your statement is pure truth> :)

btw: don't ever assume the Navy, in the shrinking years following Vietnam, during goofy exNavy officer Jimmy Carter's watch, way before Reagan got cranking...had anything close to enough parts in inventory to "properly" maintain anything, much less non-frontline aircraft. Grabbing a used hydraulic line or fuel pump off an old, decrepite (sp) Alpha Orion and "making" it fit my less than pristine Charlie Orion was not uncommon. Thank gawd and Lockheed it flew just peachy on two engines and could get you home (or to land somewhere) with a following wind on one.

My and the best Crew Chiefs were decades in...and many more years than I. They made me look good (make missions continually accomplished) by being the most "creative" SOB's I've ever known...and their training of their underlings at "Scrownging" above the call and way over "Operation Petticoat" levels was amazing to these eyes. They deserved the "Order of the Palm" if you know what I'm saying.

On a seperate note, I got speedbleeders today. I hope to change brake and clutch fluid this weekend. Never done it before, but look forward to it.

all I know is whenever I'm confortable the bike is running fine, and I take off plastic and check the coolant, air filter, plugs, pick one

and all is well from my mechanical engineering and PIC eyes, then I chuckle at ma Yamaha and her attempt to make an extra bunch of bucks

with entirely conservative schedules to get the unknowing into their dealership more often than needed
I disagree with your assertion that Yammie does it for profit. My guess is that they do it more for reliability. So that their bikes keep running and their customers stay happy with their running bike and their reliability reputation is not tarnished.

And from your M.E. degree, you know that when it comes to safety, or service life of any part or component, there is a significant 'safety factor' built in for any kind of operating specification.

On a seperate note, I got speedbleeders today. I hope to change brake and clutch fluid this weekend. Never done it before, but look forward to it.
Did mine Saturday. They are the shizzle!

added a note about P-3's and my lack of seriousness about black and white maintenance schedules, etc because of crazed necessary methods of airplane creative airworthyness that never put me in the drink, thank gawd everyday...

Also, since my FJR is 2007, I think it's time to get a new battery. What is your opinion and what brand?
to add sniper scope at my head...I change my battery every 3 years as a maintenance item and only use Westco

Bike Effects is a superior vendor and forum member who gives 10% discounts on all sales...many order from Jeff

or you can order direct from Westco

google is your friend

In which order did you bleed them?
What I did is not applicable to you since I have the superior Gen I machine without that whacky linked brake system you have.

For you, there is current thread around here that gives the steps on how to properly bleed a POS Gen II FJR.

As for battery, I am 'let it ride till it dies' kind of guy. Though I'll usually have a spare - either a new or used one, just in case the current one dies quick. My replaced my original after about 5 years and 150,000 miles when I thought it was going bad. Turns out it wasn't, but it was the starter that was on it's way out.

Latest posts