Alaska Leather sheepskin pad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaholic

Reaction score
I've been searching for a low cost solution to improve butt-comfort for LD rides.

A custom seat is probably the best way to go, but at $600, I just can't justify it for the handful of tours I do each year.

I've tried a Corbin...comfortable for short rides, but really crappy in the summer heat for long rides. Way too hard and I felt a little too far back for spirited riding. Plus it weighs about 11lbs more than the stock seat.

Next I tried beads on the stock seat. Surprisingly comfortable for a few hundred miles with good airflow underneath to keep cool. But after about 150 miles, the beads dig in. Great for moving around on the saddle for those squidly rides. I won't be tossing it as it really does make it easy to move around on short, spirited rides.

Wanted to try an Airhawk...have heard great reports, but also have heard that they don't last that long (maybe 2-4 seasons of extended use). I also didn't want that much more height, mainly to keep center of gravity lower (I'm tall, so issues with touching down).

Recently purchased the Alaska leather sheepskin pad. My first impressions after a short ride last week (kinda cold still where I live) was they are very comfortable! Much better than the beads, corbin or stock! It seemed to keep my butt warm in 38 degree with a 20mph wind. The extra 1/4" of height seemed welcomed to give the knees a little more stretch, but yet I didn't feel like it was too tall, like the beads were.

My impression was very good, but granted I have not tested it yet on a long ride or in the summer heat.

Who has this pad and what are your long term impressions of it? Can I count on it to stay cool and dry on long summer rides?

My neighbor has one on his 04 1150 RT (he bought a seconds) you have to specifically ask for one as they do not advertize that they have seconds--they are a good bit cheaper, it is not a defective construction situation but rather a dyeing blemish, etc. Anyway, back to your ?, while I have not bought one I plan to do so because I have ridden on his RT w/the Alaskan sheep skin in our hot summer here in the south and as far as heat concerns--I had none--but that was on an RT and not the FJR and the heat issues it has. No more than what it costs I plan to buy one soon. Use to you could go to adventurerider.com and click on their ad and secure the code word and obtain an additional discount when you made the order. Ask about their seconds when you call!--a real comfy seat!! I would recommend it.

Oh grasshopper, your going down the path many of us have in search for LD comfort. If you look at your expense for all the low cost solutions you'll probably end up trying, you may find you could have actually saved some money by going directly to the custom seat.

To answer your questions about the Alaska Sheepskin. I used one on the stock seat for a few rides last year. Definitely helped with the longer rides. Cooler in the heat and warmer during the cooler rides. Good for about 1,200 miles. After that I don't think anything can help the stock seat. It's a good, quality product. My complaints are minor. Whenever you stand up on the pegs the wind would flip the pad. Not a big deal, but you have to remember to reach down and flip it back before sitting down. It also moves a bit so your not as planted to the bike.

FWIW....I picked up a Russell this winter for about $400 and I'm anticipating not needing the sheepskin anymore.

I've been using a Sheepy Hollow universal solo pad with good success for a few years. Originally I ordered their full custom fit set for my then new '04 FJR and a universal pad as well since it wasn't expensive. The full pad set reminded me of wall-to-wall shag carpet and was overkill for my solo needs, so sold it on another FJR forum. The universal solo pad matches the shape of the front stock saddle quite well and uses adjustable elastic straps with fastex buckle underneath to adjust tension and for quick release in rain or while while washing the bike. You must order directly from Australia, but it was a no-hassle experience using their website and my credit card.

<https://www.sheepyhollow.com/pads/default.htm>

Effjay

If the sheepskin is good for 1,200 miles, than I'm gold. Rarely do I ride beyond 500 miles in a day. My LD rides consist of lot's of twsity roads rather than highway stints. Thanks for the tip about flipping up when you stand. Some velcro should tackle that problem in advance of having it!

Thanks for the input. If this doesn't work, than a custom seat will be in order.

I did quite a few 300-500 mile days on it before doing my SS1000 last year. I got the false sense of security during the 300-500 mile days that this was going to be the low cost answer.

For the rides of this distance, it's pretty good. However, once I get past 500 miles, it starts to bother me. But, it's not that big of a deal. When I get sick of it, I take off the sheepskin and go bare saddle. That little bit of something different seemed to prolong some of the discomfort, when it came back, i put it back on and, again, it was a quick temporary fix.

For the money, can't beat it IMO.

I agree with Randy. For the price it's a pretty good fix. I don't do too many days that are over 500 miles, so it works good for me.

GP

---> "once I get past 500 miles, it starts to bother me."
Hell, once I get past 500 miles in a CAR it starts to bother me.

Thats a big day for 98 percent of motorcycle riders.
I agree since 98 percent of motorcyclists don't do LD rides, but, the first sentence of the original post said

I've been searching for a low cost solution to improve butt-comfort for LD rides.

I used a AL sheepskin with a stock seat last summer. I didn't see much benefit in cold weather but it seemed to help my butt "breathe" better when it got hot. I got the most benefit from it when I only used it for the second half of the ride, by that time my stock seat was pretty compressed and the sheepskin gave some extra padding and additional legroom.

Sheesh. Where's all the "clicky" things. Ya'll don't really think I'm going to search for all these, do ya?

Don't we have rules about "must have a clicky"?

What, Scab, you can't type Alaska Leather into Google? Or Clicky on the Sheepy Hollw link that EffJay posted?

Or you could wander down to your local CSK, NAPA, whatever auto-parts-in-a-box store and buy a sheepskin seat cover and trim it to fit your seat. Works for me, the Rogdebs and the Rick-in-Sacs, though Rick got a little carried away and actually stitched it to fit the seat. I even use one on my Russell, and my tender parts are greatful! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered an Alaska sheepskin pad today.

Later, if necessary will be a Russell seat.

I don't know if I can do without it, Butt time will tell. ;)

Madmike, buy one from a parts store? And cut it to fit? And I assume this is all less expensive than "motorcycle-specific"? You cheap bastard.

Now you are talking my language! Forget the clicky things. I'm going to find my scissors.

+1 to what MM2 said. MM2 is a wise guru -- listen to him.

The nice thing about purchasing from an auto parts store is the sheepskin comes with a no slip backing. This is very helpful and I don't need straps to hold it down (unless I stand up while rolling along at +40) Also, when I park my bike and there is a chance of rain I simply flip the sheepskin over, backing side up. This seems to keep it and the seat pretty dry. When it is not going to rain I flip it over the windscreen and gauges to protect them from the sun. Pretty versatile farkle, and practical too, if I say so myself.

There is a simple test you can employ: Lay a Russell seat next to a lambskin on your living room floor. See which one the dog choses! ;)

And here all this time I thought I was alone in my cheap bastardness...

Maybe the Admins will give us our own heading:

The Hopeless Cheap-Bastard Way of Doing Things.

The seat I now use on my HD is made by Saddlemen. It uses "Saddlegel" in the seat which was orginally invented for those confined to a wheelchair. It really cuts down on problems caused to the pressure points in our reardom. You can get gel pads for on top the seat, or add the gel to your existing seat, or have them make a custom seat to fit your bike. After about 500 miles the gel conforms to your behind. I have arthritis of the spine and without the Saddlegel in my current seat I would probablly not be able to ride. The gel can get a little warm if left exposed to direct sun but not really a problem. I probablly will be having the FJR seat inserted with a pad when it gets here. I could do it myself or send it out to them and they send it back, just like new. PM. <><

Linkey

Last edited by a moderator:
Madmike, buy one from a parts store? And cut it to fit? And I assume this is all less expensive than "motorcycle-specific"? You cheap bastard.
Now you are talking my language! Forget the clicky things. I'm going to find my scissors.
Well, go and price the motorcycle specific seat pad, then look at the local auto supply for, say, $50. I used the top part (that normally fits over the top of the highback bucket) for the seat on my bike, keeping the elastic straps to hold it in place (of course, I had to tie "knots" in them to shorten them). Rick has the remianing portion over both of his and "Den Mother's" seats. We're really, uhm,er, thrifty: 2 bike seat covers from one car cover!

My original "butt mitt" was on a long trip on the Concours when I stopped into a Kragens and bought a car wash mit, borrowed their shears and cut off the glove's thmb and cut along the seam so it opened up, then used electrical tape to hold it in place. Hey, it got me home on the last leg of a 1800 mile/4 day vacation trip! IIRC, someone in San Diego still has that "butt mitt". It got her home when they had to "blast" down Oregon Hwy 97 to I-5 coming home from WFO-3 (when there was a death in the family). You never know what "fix" you can find and share.