Almost an FJR owner...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kunk35

Reaction score
Before a few short weeks ago I did not even know the FJR even existed.

Back in the early 90's, my motorcycle experience culminated up to owning my dream bike at the time, the Honda ST1100. Before that I had ridden everything from an Aero 80 scooter when I was 15, a CB350, three Honda Knighhawks, (God I miss those. They were some of my favorite bikes, especially the 750), Then finally the ST. After riding the ST for a few years, life happened, (i.e. kids), and the bike passion became a 4 door Mazda, then eventually a minivan. Yes, a frickin minivan.

Fast forward a few years. Okay, several years, and ugly words like 50th birthday, and diabetes, and other fun things started getting thrown around and I found myself thinking if I didn't jump back into the world of motorcycles now, then I may just find myself rotting on the couch forever and not ever do it again. So the hunt began.

I quickly learned that Honda doesn't make an ST anymore. I was sad. Although there are quite a few out there if I didn't mind driving somewhere or shipping it. So I started thinking BMW. But in that world I needed to spend a whole lot to get something I really wanted. But somehow, I came across this glorious piece of machinery called the FJR1300. I had never even looked at a Yamaha before. Only because in the small town I grew up in, there was only one shop, "Don's Honda". (Hence the love of Honda bikes...)

So now, I am currently waiting to hear back on an offer for a 2014 in my current town that I really really want, but if that falls through which I think it more than likely will, then I am heading a bit further to get a 2015 with a few less features than the '14 model. At this point I really don't think I will be disappointed in either one. There are a few features about each that I like over the other, so all in all, I am just waiting to see if there is a yes and if not, I'm okay with that. Either way I'm getting an FJR very soon.

So, while I'm technically not an FJR owner, God willing I will be within about a week or so. Fingers crossed throw me some luck my way. Maybe this guy will drop his price just a bit and I can take the red one home tomorrow...

The FJR is a great bike and probably the most trouble-free piece of machinery I have owned.  I sold my '07 with just shy of 200,000 miles on it - still worked perfectly but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a well-farkled, low mileage 2011. 

Get the '14 or the '15 - doesn't matter except for the color.  I like the 2014 red almost as much as the silver on my bike. "A" model or ES?  Try it as is before spending on extras but you might want to upgrade stock seat or windshield. 

Enjoy!

No matter which FJR you get, it will put a spark in your life and a skip in your step. It's nimble enough to make you feel like you're racing MotoGP,  touring enmities to make a full day of riding a breeze and an appearance that will make folks stop and look. 

The '14 is the second best color made on an FJR.  The' 15 is the worst. 

Just saying....

But even a day riding the ugliest FJR made is good day. 

I do think I like the red better. But the more I stare at the 2015, that grey has grown on me too. Still, it all comes down to whether the owner of the 2014 really wants to sell it or if he thinks the low mileage and the extras he added really increases the value of the bike. (it doesn't)

The 2014 is an ES. The 2015 is an A. That's one of the details I'm a little torn about. I would like the ES, but it seems to be about a 50/50 from what I am reading as to whether that is a deal breaker or not to most people. Judging from my past experience, I doubt highly I would ever use the functions of the ES. I'm the type that won't do a whole lot of modifying and I am generally pretty happy with the stock equipment. I may look at a different seat eventually, as I have read that the stock is a bit stiff. I think the 2015 already has a touring windshield and the 2014 has the stock.

So again, at this point I just wish this guy would get back to my salesman and make a decision. If I don't hear back this morning I'm heading south for the 2015. (the 2014 is on consignment at a local dealer)

It is really a tossup with respect to suspension choice.  With the ES, it is easy to adjust for current riding conditions, roads or load.  The "A" suspension is something you may wish to upgrade at some point.  (Especially after 50,000 miles or so as it begins to get tired.)  There are a number of excellent aftermarket rebuildable suspension choices available.  The ES suspension has been pretty reliable but you may wish to consider that replacement in the event of failure is going to be costly.

Either bike is a great choice but I would lean toward the RED one with the ES suspension.  As long as there is documented evidence of proper maintenance, I wouldn't let mileage be a major factor in my decision - assuming we aren't talking about differences of 50,000 miles.  Consider add-on extras to be worth perhaps 50% of their original cost and only if they are added value to you.  Exception might be a quality aftermarket seat such as a Russell which typically goes for 75% of original cost.

Thanks for the advice RossKean. The mileage on both are amazing. The 2014 only has 15k and the 2015 has 24k. Does that effect your leaning?

I still haven't heard anything from the dealer and they have been open for an hour and a half! This is making me crazy!!

In all seriousness, I just need to chill and stop thinking about it and let it happen. I have found in my history that when I try to force a decision I really really want to happen it usually goes bad. Better just to let things happen as they happen. It's just hard to be patient.

If you like blue, take a look at the 2016 - it's a beauty IMHO. It comes with a very smooth 6-speed transmission (the only real benefit is the lower RPM's while cruising), LED lighting (really nice headlights!), as well as cornering lights (not sure how useful this really is as I don't drive twisty roads at night very often). You may be surprised how much you'll use the ES if you get that - being able to soften the ride when you hit crappy pavement etc. is really nice, and I use it daily while driving on the horrible Seattle streets. Once I hit the smoother freeways, I go back to the Standard setting. It's also nice to be able to switch pre-load with just a button whenever my wife comes with me on a weekend ride

I still haven't heard anything from the dealer and they have been open for an hour and a half! This is making me crazy!!

In all seriousness, I just need to chill and stop thinking about it and let it happen. I have found in my history that when I try to force a decision I really really want to happen it usually goes bad. Better just to let things happen as they happen. It's just hard to be patient.
I like the advice you've given yourself.  It's the day after Christmas.  Very possible the owner/seller is away with his family somewhere and maybe out of touch.  Or even if around may not want to deal with it this week.  It'll still be there if that's the case and maybe even put you in a better position bargaining-wise.

Well, it looks like as expected, I'm traveling a bit further and looking at the 2015 for less than what the other guy wants out of his 2014. I'll just drive this one for a few years and if I feel the need for an upgrade, get a new model in 2022 or so.

Stay tuned...

At 24,000 miles, you're a 1000 miles away (might be due at 26k) from a valve check. That will cost between $400-800 depending on whether the valves need adjustment or not. Just another data point for your decision making process. 

The guy wants $9600.00 for the 2014 ES with under 15k miles. NADA guide puts the average retail at 8875 which is all the banks will loan. Do you guys think that is too steep? If dravnx is right and I pay 8750 for the 2015, but then have to turn around and put another seven or eight hundred into it, I'm at around the same place for a bike with more miles and not an ES.

...thoughts?

As for the value for the '14, KBB value is $6600/trade and $9400 retail... private party somewhere in-between.

A quick check of cycletrader.com shows an "ES" with a few goodies and 14K miles for $9K. (EDIT:  That's at a dealership, too!)

If you really like the '14 in red, I suggest $9K or less.  Nothing wrong with offering $8875.  Personally , I would expect it for less than that.

I suggest what Mortenk also suggested above... if you like to colors available, go with a '16 or newer to take advantage of 6-speed, and other features.

There is not a shortage of FJR's for sale, especially if you are willing to travel a bit to pick one up.

I think $9600 is a bit steep for a 6 year old bike unless it has a bunch of extras.  If you are reasonably mechanically inclined,  a valve check / adjustment isn't too bad to do yourself.  

Be careful and pay attention to what your loan balance is compared to what your insurance company will pay out if you total the bike. It doesn't take much to total a bike and you don't want to be upside down. I personally don't finance toys. I know many who do and that's their business. Maybe waiting and saving up a couple of thousand towards the bike would be more prudent. 

For what it's worth there's always a deal but you may have to be patient and/or travel.  I drove about 600 miles from Texas to Alabama in August of 2018 to pick up a 2014 A model.  It had highway pegs, a Yamaha touring windscreen, and a matching factory top case.  It had either 7800 or 8800 miles on it (don't remember) and I gave $8250 for it from a dealer.  I have no regrets and feel as if I got a good deal.  I mostly ride solo but I occasionally load it to the max to go camping for a week.  It's then that I wish I had the ES model.

Okay, so no judging, but I caved and bought the red 2014 with 14500 miles on it.

Look, I tried to convince myself he wanted too much money for it. And he does.

I tried to tell myself, "just be patient". He isn't going to sell it in the middle of December or January and when he doesn't he will drop the price.

But I am weak. And I wanted the ES. And I wanted the rear factory painted top box. And I wanted a red one over the grey one.

So I may be weak, but I am a weak guy that now owns a 2014 awesome FJR1300 that I pick up tomorrow. :)

An extra $1000 or so isn't really that much over the life of the bike assuming that you keep it and put lots of miles on it.  That much pales into insignificance compared to the sum of operating costs over a half dozen years.  It only really matters if you are planning on selling it in a year or so without taking a loss.   I have put that much on the bike in just tires in a single year...

Enjoy the new bike!!