Aluminum shavings in coolant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
I have commonly seen six and seven bars on the gauge, and had the cooling fan running more than normal this summer.  Thought it was just the hot weather, but to be sure, I drained and filled my coolant.  Engine temp seemed about the same on the test ride.  However, on the next morning, when I carefully poured the drain pan into the bottles, I noticed A LOT of little metal shavings in the bottom.  Checked with a magnet and sure they are aluminum.

Is this a water pump problem or something else?

Peace...  Mack

How long since the coolant had been changed?  I assume this isn't the first time...

If there are actual metal filings, the only moving part in the system is the water pump impeller (unless you consider the opening and closing of the thermostat).  If there had been white particulates, I would have considered corrosion products from the radiator or hard water deposits.  Did you take a photo of the particulates?

Never heard of a water pump "sort of" working; at least not for long!  They tend to work or not but maybe it isn't moving enough liquid.  Might be worth taking it apart and having a look as a first step.  Certainly the presence of filings along with insufficient cooling is suspect.

As far as overheating is concerned, also consider:

Radiator cap

Thermostat

Overflow tank plumbing (not sucking fluid back as engine cools - kink or split)

Radiator hose - friend had a small hole in an upper hose that leaked very little but drew air in when cooling so radiator wasn't running full

Radiator itself - crap and oxidation builds up over time.

Good luck!

How long since the coolant had been changed?  I assume this isn't the first time...

If there are actual metal filings, the only moving part in the system is the water pump impeller (unless you consider the opening and closing of the thermostat).  If there had been white particulates, I would have considered corrosion products from the radiator or hard water deposits.  Did you take a photo of the particulates?

Never heard of a water pump "sort of" working; at least not for long!  They tend to work or not but maybe it isn't moving enough liquid.  Might be worth taking it apart and having a look as a first step.  Certainly the presence of filings along with insufficient cooling is suspect.

As far as overheating is concerned, also consider:

Radiator cap

Thermostat

Overflow tank plumbing (not sucking fluid back as engine cools - kink or split)

Radiator hose - friend had a small hole in an upper hose that leaked very little but drew air in when cooling so radiator wasn't running full

Radiator itself - crap and oxidation builds up over time.

Good luck!
Au contraire.  Indeed, this WAS the first coolant change.  Flog me if you must.  I've done lots of service on this bike with my own two hands.  I have added almost a quart of coolant as the level in the overflow tank went down, but I never got around to changing the coolant.

You raise an interesting question about white particulates vs shavings.  I did take three pictures, and if someone can explain to me how to post them, I will do that.  I feel it is unlikely that these are particulates because no water has been added since the bike was new.  I believe they are very fine aluminum shavings.  Probably worth mentioning that I never actually removed the drain plug.  I just opened it far enough that the coolant could run out into a drain pan.  Now I am wondering about shavings or particulates that might have been too large to sneak past the drain plug threads into the pan.  Yikes!

Otherwise, cap is good, hoses are good, no obvious areas of oxidation.  I do need to check or replace the thermostat.  At this point, I believe that I will just buy some fresh coolant and distilled water and do a complete flush and fill.  Hopefully nothing to large falls out of the drain in this process.  Then I will wait patiently for the pump to fail.

Peace...  Mack

Sounds good.  Shavings etc could be from the original manufacture although I would have expected them to be ground up and oxidized long before now.  Drain, flush thoroughly with distilled water and fill.  Unless you flush with 50:50 antifreeze, remember that the system holds up quite a bit of fluid and the residual water will dilute what you add...

Keep an eye on temperature and if it continues to run hot, you may have to investigate further.  Thirteen years is probably just a bit too long for coolant!

I've seen the same thing with coolant changes...especially the FIRST one in 13 years! 😉

If the pump isn't leaking now I wouldn't stress about it on the refill. As far as overheating, my '06 displayed similar symptoms and it ended up being the thermostat. That's where I'd start.

~G

Photo assist

vTDvvz.jpg

C7iK8d.jpg

u5oVNa.jpg

-Steve

Not as bad as I expected based on the description.  Do they appear shiny/metallic or white particulates - I can't really tell from the photos?

Flush, fill and keep an eye on temperatures.  Make sure radiator cap is on tight and watch for proper function in the overflow tank.  With bike on centerstand, run the engine until the fans come on.  The level in the tank should increase (and end out fairly close to the top mark).  Level should decrease as the engine cools to ambient temperature - properly sealed system without line kinks/leaks will suck liquid from overflow back into the engine.  Might need a couple of cycles to fully "burp" all the air out of the radiator to get stable levels (might need a top-up as well).

Photo assist #2

OP will describe in more detail. .  .  .  .

-Steve
Thanks Steve for posting the picture for me.  I used my iPhone to take a picture down the pipe of my Micronta 30X microscope.  Sorry the pic did not turn out better, but in person, the flecks are quite clear and easy to see.  They are very shiny and reflective... very metallic-looking.  However, the shape was a surprise to me.  I had suspected that they were aluminum shavings, but there was nothing about them that fit the word "shaving."  I was expecting flat, curled particles, like a shaving of wood left in the wake of a sharp chisel.  In fact, these minute particles look like small rocks, almost like diamonds in the rough. 

So in terms of color and shininess, they look like pieces of aluminum.

But in terms of shape, they look like particles, more like you would expect a precipitate to look.

Incidentally, I flushed and filled again today with fresh coolant.  Nearly all the particles/shavings are gone and my bike is not running nearly as hot as it was before.  Maybe the thermostat or part of the radiator had been somewhat clogged.

All opinions welcome!

Thanks again to sapest for posting the picture!

Peace... Mack

Possibly crystalline solids that had precipitated out over time but although they can be reflective I wouldn't expect them to appear metallic.  Without chemical analysis, you may never know.  As long as it is working OK now, I don't think I would worry about it.

PS - Don't wait 13 years for the next coolant change!

Possibly crystalline solids that had precipitated out over time but although they can be reflective I wouldn't expect them to appear metallic.  Without chemical analysis, you may never know.  As long as it is working OK now, I don't think I would worry about it.

PS - Don't wait 13 years for the next coolant change!
Haha!  Point taken, sir.  Sage advice, which I will certainly apply.

Peace... Mack