And the communication revolution begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the write up...it was very helpful. I have a bunch of other questions that I'm hoping either you or others might be able to answer.

1. When 3 bikes are using the units, can each bike listen to their own music and phone calls or is it one big happy family and everyone listens to everything?

No idea... anyone else have an answer to this one?

When you and your rider are hooked up and a call comes in, do they hear the conversation as well?

No, at least not by default, I don't think. Haven't tried this yet and don't expect to be taking calls while riding anyway (just my choice, not a judgment)

Can you have a private conversation with your rider without anyone else hearing?

Yep

Under what circumstances would you need a direct wire connected to the unit??

Say maybe you're MP3 player doesn't have Bluetooth... you can still use a cord to plug in your tunes. :)

I apologize in advance for my ignorance about such matters ;) . I plan to get a zumo right off so keep that in mind when you answer. Thanks
Man, this is how we ALL started... :) There are only a few people around here who bite... *whistles*

I bought the scala Q2 team set the new blue one. I have mine connected blue tooth with my iphone 3GS I use the hardwire to connect it to my iphone for music. This way my phone is in my pocket and the cord runs up to the side of my helmet. My girlfriend has hers connected to her phone via blue tooth and wired to her ipod. The music is good I found speaker placement inside the helmet makes a big difference. I had the speakers mounted in the middle of the ear pocket inside the helmet I moved them down maybe 1/4 inch and a world of difference. Communication between us is great, she actually likes going on rides now.

The music is good I found speaker placement inside the helmet makes a big difference. I had the speakers mounted in the middle of the ear pocket inside the helmet I moved them down maybe 1/4 inch and a world of difference.
Thanks for the idea! I'll play with my speakers a bit and see if I notice any differences. :)

Late breaking news and an addendum to my prior post:

I contacted Starcom via email and asked if they would consider developing a wireless helmet headset connection to be added to their existing intercom systems (both Starcom and Autocom). The wireless connection should just provide a link to the rider and passenger helmets, nothing more, allowing the intercom functions to work as they do now.

I received a reply from Tony Starling of Tecstar this morning. He said:

"We are well down the route of a development of this type of product with an estimated timescale of 3 months."

This is very good news, IMO. I will be waiting anxiously to see what they come up with. This very well could be the "do it all" communications system I want need!

Late breaking news and an addendum to my prior post:

I contacted Starcom via email and asked if they would consider developing a wireless helmet headset connection to be added to their existing intercom systems (both Starcom and Autocom). The wireless connection should just provide a link to the rider and passenger helmets, nothing more, allowing the intercom functions to work as they do now.

I received a reply from Tony Starling of Tecstar this morning. He said:

"We are well down the route of a development of this type of product with an estimated timescale of 3 months."

This is very good news, IMO. I will be waiting anxiously to see what they come up with. This very well could be the "do it all" communications system I want need!
I must say that I too am equally happy to hear that news and look forward to see what they come up with and how it works. I will contact them and see if they need a Beta tester. :rolleyes:

I must say that I too am equally happy to hear that news and look forward to see what they come up with and how it works. I will contact them and see if they need a Beta tester. :rolleyes:

Ha ha!! That was my exact reply to Tony!! :p

[edit] Hey - I just heard about these on another forum (Stromtroopers). For someone looking for a very inexpensive way to dabble in the BlueTooth headsets:

DealExtreme.com Cheap Chineese BT Headsets

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the scala Q2 team set the new blue one. I have mine connected blue tooth with my iphone 3GS I use the hardwire to connect it to my iphone for music. This way my phone is in my pocket and the cord runs up to the side of my helmet. My girlfriend has hers connected to her phone via blue tooth and wired to her ipod. The music is good I found speaker placement inside the helmet makes a big difference. I had the speakers mounted in the middle of the ear pocket inside the helmet I moved them down maybe 1/4 inch and a world of difference. Communication between us is great, she actually likes going on rides now.
/OP derail

How does she have both her phone and your headset paired, and use it simultaniously?

/end OP derail :p