Announcing: Covered Bridges of NH - 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, Skip...

I'm pretty sure that those pictures you posted are from the 2007 version of this ride that you led. I think that was the last one before you sold your FJR. And that was our (Joann and my) first group ride with the FJR peeps.

So everything that has happened since then is all your fault!! :p

[edit - on further review I see from the cloudiness that this was the year the ride was rain delayed, which was 2009)

As for riding the WR two fiddy, you are certainly welcome to come along, but I have an inkling that it wouldn't be all that much fun riding that much road (which is why I traded mine back for the old VFR). Let me know if you are serious about riding this. I have two "spare bikes" in the garage and you are welcome to borrow one. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
...Let me know if you are serious about riding this. I have two "spare bikes"...
Good to hear from you Skip! Man, what bad timing to have to miss this year's Bridges ride. But, if I have to miss this ride in New England it's OK, I will be out riding in central CA for a week.

Hey you never know I may run into you guys that weekend as I am traveling down to Conway NH on that weekend. WE plan to go to the Whitehorse Press and ride around the White Mountain National Forest Park, visit Mount Washington and check out the scenery. I don't know if your ride takes you in the area but if so it would be nice to stop and chat for a minute or two, I will keep an eye out for a bunch of FLRs. Shouldn't be hard to spot that.

Hey you never know I may run into you guys that weekend as I am traveling down to Conway NH on that weekend. WE plan to go to the Whitehorse Press and ride around the White Mountain National Forest Park, visit Mount Washington and check out the scenery. I don't know if your ride takes you in the area but if so it would be nice to stop and chat for a minute or two, I will keep an eye out for a bunch of FLRs. Shouldn't be hard to spot that.
Nope, our route (intentionally) never goes over that-a-way. I don't want to rain on your vacation parade, but riding in the White Mountains, especially during peak foliage season, is best done mid-week. The weekends can be a slow slog as that is the peak time for tourists to visit the region. Which is why we stay far to the south and west of the hoopty.

Hope you are able to enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the heads up, we may have to look at changing the dates, sliding it to the right a day or two.

I am hoping to make this ride @ some point in my FJR life.

You both would love it. You can easily fill even a big SD card with pictures. There's another great shot every time you turn around.

BTW - I think we New England Red Sox fans are the ones who coined the phrase, "Just wait until next year!" And we get to use it yet again about now!!

One minor announcement, for those who may have already downloaded the routes from the links in post #1:

I tested most of the Mount Kearsarge Loop route yesterday and there were some changes required due to road construction. There is also about a 4-5 mile section of tame unpaved road, which was wet yesterday and a bit snotty. As a contingency I have added an alternate means to get to the mountain with no unpaved sections (I know, that isn't very much like me), but I doubt we would have to use it since if is rainy on Saturday, we'll probably be riding the bridges on Sunday.

Use the same links in post #1 to download the updated files (just the Kearsarge MT route changed)

Damn, I wanna do this w ya Fred, got a fecking wedding the 13th. I cannot understand why people think they gotta get married anyway?

Have a blast guys, burn some leaves for me :)

I'm coming with a friend on Saturday. (Are Moto Guzzi riders allowed?) Were going to do a Vermont Gaps ride on Friday and then spend the night in Keene and meet you in the morning. I've been wanting to do this ride for a while.

The fall color is coming on strong, this should be a really good year for the 'Bridges. Friday PM is looking nippy but Sat is looking perfect. Dayum, I hate to miss this ride, it should be the best ride evha (but hey, I'll be riding down the central coast in CA on Sat :p ).

You both would love it. You can easily fill even a big SD card with pictures. There's another great shot every time you turn around.

BTW - I think we New England Red Sox fans are the ones who coined the phrase, "Just wait until next year!" And we get to use it yet again about now!!
Yeah, we spent all last week in the Finger Lakes region of New York...colors were incredible. One of these day's I'd like to ride your neck of the woods

Well, the advanced weather forecasts for southern NH seem to indicate some fairly nice (if a bit brisk) riding conditions on Saturday, but a pretty high likelihood of precipitation on Sunday.

At least we should be able to get the Covered Bridges ride in on Saturday, but we may end up having to cancel (or postpone) the Sunday run up Kearsarge Mountain. If we do choose to postpone, the only available weekend left is the following one (Oct 20/21) as Rollins State Park closes after October 21st.

See everyone at Fiddleheads Cafe on Saturday AM!!

We road up Kearsarge Monday, first time we'd been there. The longer trail is pathetic! Some idiot put the rocks on their edges instead of flat. The shorter, steeper trail is mu easier, and quicker. Nice view from the top, tho.

Oh yeah, the dirt roads were mostly in good shape.

I wanted to do this ride but the weather gods have not cooperated. I was going to ride down (from New Brunswick) today (Friday) and head home Sunday. While the Saturday ride looks like it will be great for all of you, I don't relish the thought of a round trip in cold rain! Cold is OK and rain is tolerable but I won't choose to endure both conditions simultaneously for a pleasure trip!

Hope everyone has a great time! I still want to get another New England run in before WINTER hits.

Ross

Well catch you next time, Ross!

So... Who the heck is actually planning on being there tomorrow?

I see that there were 9 who were "signed up" in the poll.

Could be a small group of hearty riders (or those of us with electrics) tomorrow morning. :cold:

We tested out the electrics last weekend and they still work, so we'll be there along with a friend Paul invited.