Announcing: Covered Bridges of NH - 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! Should be fun.

Yeah, we're officially shifted into the full, cold weather mode. Just put the barn door Rifle windshield on and pulled the pigtails out from under the seat for the heated gear.

I intend to be at fiddleheads in the AM. I will be splitting off after luch to attend a 70th birthday party for a friend.

The bride is refusing, the ride back from Ba Haba at 0600 38degrees was enough for her. probably would have helped if i had gotton the electrics to work in the hour before we stoped for breakfast. :rolleyes:

I called Gordon(Harley Guy) but he said he didn't have a hybrid gas/electric bike. <_< i told him I would check him in the PUSSY column.

Jack

BTW - I think we New England Red Sox fans are the ones who coined the phrase, "Just wait until next year!" And we get to use it yet again about now!!
Dead wrong. You chowderheads stole that from the Toronto Maple Leafs fans. Too bad about the lock out since it was going to be FJRob1300 in net this year.

Home at 2:45 pm 280 miles. Good day nice to see everybody. Miss Daisey(Jane) says hello to all.

Electrics really are nice, worth the money. :yahoo:

We'll be there with electrics on High! Stayed the night in Antrim..

Home at 2:45 pm 280 miles. Good day nice to see everybody. Miss Daisey(Jane) says hello to all.

Electrics really are nice, worth the money. :yahoo:
Yeah, buddy...

Them electrical heated whatc'ha call-its are worth their weight in gold on a day as cool as today. Specially this mornin'

But with them, it was quite pleasant. Pretty good turn out considering the lack of heat in the morning air.

The cross forum invite went over like a fart in church. The only NER forum members that showed up was Mr Bill (and me) and we have FJRs so we don't count.

We're back in the (warm) barn, now, and have just finished polishing off a good mess of Chinese. Now for a few (more) adult bevs!! :drinks:

I hope everyone had a good time today.

The cross forum invite went over like a fart in church. The only NER forum members that showed up was Mr Bill (and me) and we have FJRs so we don't count.

The NER folk sure missed a great ride!

IMG_2133.JPG

What a handsome group!! :unsure: You can't even tell that our toes are half frozen popsicles... :p

Seriously, nice photo Bill (since your camera actually worked today! I think mine was too cold or sumpthin')

Thanks for posting it up. The tradition has been upheld!! :yahoo:

Fred, Thanx for leading another great CB ride. Gina, friends and myself had an AWESUM day . A big Thanx to the electric Gods for heated gear.
biggrin.gif

Yup, electrics are great... When they work! Mine kept shutting down, but would stay on long enough to take the chill off. Thankfully it got warmer as the day went on!

Guess what I may be getting for Christmas.

Thanks again, Fred for leading another great one! It was great seeing some familiar faces again, and meeting some new folks as well.

Gina

NER (inactive) member since 2001 ;-)

Fred,

Thanks for a great ride. Sorry Jason and I bailed without saying our goodbyes to everyone. I rolled in at 6:30 pm and I waiting to hear from Jason. Great roads!

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Gina

Aha! So there were three NER members on that ride then... :p

Thanks for a great ride. Sorry Jason and I bailed without saying our goodbyes to everyone. I rolled in at 6:30 pm and I waiting to hear from Jason. Great roads!
No problem at all with the hasty departure, Ray. I know I talked you into staying until the bitter end. After we got going again I realized that you guys could have split off down Rte 114 to 202 west and cut out 15-20 minutes, rather than staying for the last few miles down Rte 103... but at least now you can say you've done the whole thing. ;)

Very glad you guys made it. It's nice having some new faces along to share the roads and scenery with.

As I type this the rain is coming down cold and steady outside. No chance at all of going up Mt Kearsarge this morning. :angry:

I also feel really bad for the folks that came up from further south and were staying over last night, and should be heading for home today. Hopefully the rain will stop soon and it should be warmer behind the front.

Stay dry (as possible) and ride safe!

Yup, electrics are great... When they work!

I'll second that!

October 2 last year. Controller crapped out. I struck out for home: a 700-mile ride, temperature of ~ 45°, windy and a forecast of rain :dribble: THE Most Miserable Ride EVAH! (the forecast was accurate. I got hammered - few times )

I'm sorry I missed your ride. It would have been a super day. With heated gear :thumbsup:

Well, I'm sorry I missed the fun, and mostly the pleasure of riding with you all, but I'm glad I didn't brave the weather. I don't have heated gear. I have been thinking seriously about getting some. It rained overnight at my place, but has stopped here and I plan to get out for a few hours this afternoon.

After 859 miles total on the weekend, home safe and sound... I'll post up some pics after a shower and some sleep. Thanks again Fred for a fantastic guided tour.

Well, I'm sorry I missed the fun, and mostly the pleasure of riding with you all, but I'm glad I didn't brave the weather. I don't have heated gear. I have been thinking seriously about getting some. It rained overnight at my place, but has stopped here and I plan to get out for a few hours this afternoon.
Geez, you got more stuff hang'n off that bike than I ever have on my Christmas tree!... and NO E-GEAR? that deserves a; C'mon man! :eek: OK, you probably don't have any juice left for useless heat... understood ;)

Glad everyone had a good time :) and hopefully I can squeeze in some burning leaves touring with y'all next year.

After 859 miles total on the weekend, home safe and sound... I'll post up some pics after a shower and some sleep. Thanks again Fred for a fantastic guided tour.
Bill,

Really glad you and Chrissy could make it. Like I said, it's much better when you get to share this with someone for their first time.

I hope that the ride back home yesterday wasn't too soggy.

Well, I didn't notice too many other folks wielding cameras on Saturday. Maybe theirs were all acting up, like mine was?

Good for us, Josie's little Canon was in good working order and she was able to get a few shots, so we have some evidence to share...

The day started out pretty cool, the outside thermometer in our kitchen window was hovering right at the the freezing mark when we geared up to ride over to Hancock. We had decided that we could have a quick breakfast at home and delay our departure by a half hour or so. In retrospect, had I known it would be so chilly, I'd have started the ride an hour later! We arrived at Fiddleheads Cafe to find a good number of bikes and riders milling about, finishing up their breakfasts. After a quick meet and greet we headed out for the "tour".

We started out taking some nice back roads, the kind with no lines painted on them, from Hancock down to Peterborough. I really love that little area, especially in the fall. But alas, as you will see, the foliage was less than spectacular. I think the rain and high winds we have been having stripped a lot of the reds and oranges off the trees already, so we were left with a bunch of yellows and browns. Still, the air was crisp and totally clear, as autumn days often are. In fact, don't think we saw a single cloud, even a fluffy white one, all day. These are the kinds of riding days that make one really glad they choose to be in New England.

JosiesPictures002.jpg

A bit further down the road we passed the south side of Grand Monadnock. This mountain is a "monadnock" (doh!) which is the Algonquin Indian word meaning "isolated mountain". The term is generally used now for any mountain that stands significantly proud of the surrounding area.

JosiesPictures005.jpg

Finally we made it to our first of many covered bridges of the day. This one is Carlton Bridge in Swanzey.

JosiesPictures011.jpg

After bagging 4 more bridges in Swanzey and Winchester, we rolled in to the fiorst rest stop of the day, at perhaps the fanciest covered bridge in the state, the often photographed Aschuelot Bridge. It is here that we try and get a group picture each year. This one is thanks to Mr Bill's camera and a willing passer-by.

IMG_2133.jpg

Next we rode up Rte 63 through the villages of Chesterfield and Westmoreland, past Spofford Lake, then through some pastoral back roads and into the picturesque village of Walpole.

JosiesPictures130.jpg

JosiesPictures133.jpg

Lunch stop at Diamond Pizza was quick, tasty and warm sitting in the big sunny windows

JosiesPictures147.jpg

Back out into the cold, we'd find some even more rural roads (translation = dirt) and get some views that most people never get to enjoy

JosiesPictures155.jpg

After a few sportier sections, Rte 123A (the curviest road in NH. Unfortunately also one of the bumpiest) and Brook Rd, we arrived at Sunapee Lake, and stopped for a short rest at the State Park beach area (closed for the season) at the southern end of the lake.

JosiesPictures181.jpg

After the break we took Rte 103C up the west side to the north end of the lake, then south back down the east side on 103A to nearly where we started at the beach.

JosiesPictures187.jpg

Time for bagging some more bridges, and some more dirt roads!!

JosiesPictures203.jpg

JosiesPictures220.jpg

And the traditional anti-climactic ending after passing over the Hopkinton Dam, stopping to say good byes at the Dunkin Donuts on Rte 202.

For the full barrage of all 68 of our pictures, you can watch the full TMJ slideshow here.

Did anyone else see the turkeys on Newmarket Rd? And for NERDS bonus points and a chance to win a million bucks :eek: ... which of the 13 bridges on the route did we fail to get a picture of? :unsure:

This ride is always so bittersweet for us. It's usually such a beautiful one, and we generally have a fun crowd to share it with, just as we did this year. :thumbsup: But it also unofficially marks the end of the organized group rides for the year in Northern New England. Last year we got a few more in before the onset of the evil white stuff, and even after that with the unusually mild winter many of us were able to stave off the PMS with a ride now and then. Let's hope we get a repeat of that, eh? But there is really no use trying to plan a group get together until spring as most likely you would be disappointed.

Thanks to all who participated in this ride and any of the others this year. Be safe, and we will look forward to more fun rides next year!!