Another area for routine grease - mirrors.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullchat

Reaction score
Having too much time on my hands now the weather has deteriorated here in the UK its funny how you start looking over the bike and doing a bit of this and that. Mines a 06 with only 7500 miles on the clock

Anyway, last summer I fitted a CalSci shield but found it it touched the Yamaha mirror covers which I removed. Then I saw that they were now producing mirror extenders for the 06 - so I purchased a pair and fitted. So now I have the wider mirrors and the covers refitted. :yahoo:

I don't know what came over me but I felt that the mirrors when pushed backwards and forwards were tight. So I undid the 12mm nut underneath, removed and was showered with 8 concave washers which were showing signs of corrosion. Mirror lifted off ( WARNING CONTAINS 3 BALL BEARINGS!!!)

Within the swivel joint was a metal plate which was dry and showing signs of rust. Likewise the ballbearings which were stuck into their indentations on the removed mirror. Everything cleaned and greased. I managed to prize the balls out of their indentations but this could be a recepie for a loss :eek: and I dont think its strictly necessary.

Everything greased up and reassembled. The concave washers cleaned and coated in ACF50. Now this is the tricky bit because the washers go in different way as you go down the stack creating longer distance so its worth making a note of how they came off. It took me a few goes to get it right because I didn't :unsure:

Mirrors now move easily and smoothly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's one way to deal with it-I went the opposite way and removed the metal plate, "nested" the cone washers to remove the spring effect and added a couple of flat washers to make up for the lost space..Now when the 12 mm nut is tightened it locks the mirrors wherever you position them. I angled the mirrors further out to give a wider field of vision and eliminate the blind spot. [The mirror glass can't be set far enough out to accomplish this..]

Latest posts