Another ATGATT For Family and Friends

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
Our niece in Phoenix is ~30 years old, a blondie that is brilliant in languages, one of the kind that is truly exceptional. She has also made some bad life decisions, one of those was last Monday, 5/4/15 when she got on her boyfriends motorcycle with no gear and no helmet. Jennifer has been in a medically induced coma since. At this point it looks like she will live but that one quick, casual decision has changed her life, she just doesn't know it yet. Her body is battered but her skull is shattered, in fact all the bits and pieces have been removed from the entire right side. Her face is shattered but it can't be fixed yet. Her eyeball is so swollen that they had to stretch the skin to be able to cover her eye and they had to stretch more skin to cover the missing side of her head where the skull should be.

Not only is Jennifer's life changed, her decision has impacted the life of everyone in her family. Her mother's life will be changed when Jennifer is able to leave the hospital. Jennifer's sister is a motorcycle rider (her own bike, hubby rides pillion), the ATGATT type, it will be interesting to see if she will ever ride again. The decision not to wear gear can reach out beyond just the rider, it can change the lives of whole families and networks of friends.

You don't need to bully or demand that people wear ATGATT but please take the time to say that you care and encourage them to reconsider such an important decision. The decision isn't simply a personal choice, they are asking everyone around them to also risk having their entire future changed by that one little action. It only takes a few fractions of a second to change years and decades for themselves and the people around them. It's part of the overall request to, "Ride Safe".

Last edited by a moderator:
How tragic.......and I'm glad I live in a "helmet required" State, I only wish that it was a "full face helmet required" State.

Wow, Alan. That's rough. At this point, I hope she pulls through this ordeal to speak another language once again.

Best wishes to you and your family. Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully it will help the overall request to, "Ride Safe".

Words cannot express the horror of that story. We can only hope for a recovery that allows a normal life.

Thoughts are with all your family.

So sorry to hear this.

I hope she makes a full recovery. Prayers, thoughts and JUJU sent for you and your family.

There are no words that can convey the sadness I feel when reading your post. So avoidable.

Prayers, Mojo and hope headed South from here.

I preach ATGATT all the time, because the sense of invincibility that people have is just goofy. Not one of those people in ICUs all over the country actually had any clue what could happen to them. It just isn't like falling off the bicycle when you were a kid, skinning your knees or your hands a little bit.

Highest hopes for your niece, and for her family.

Best thoughts for your family

I know one fjr rider that lives in my house with an adult daughter that just started seeing a young man with a sportbike. I hear she doesn't wear the gear. We're gonna have a talk soon - all 3 of us. You may no longer have to do what I say, but u dam sure are going to listen To what I have to say

Best thoughts for your family
...I hear she doesn't wear the gear. We're gonna have a talk soon...
Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes, I'll pass them along and have them read to Jen.

'pants -- On Sunday morning Jen woke up with a life, she had choices, she could make of life what she would. The only limit she had was what she chose to do. She was cognitive of the world, could dress herself, feed herself and take care of normal life functions and activities. Jen could go places, do things, have fun -- and look normal. On Monday morning she no longer had any choices, she has no options, she may have no elective life at all. It may all be gone. She should have had >40 years of fun, friends, family and a future. Gone. Her mother had a life, a career, was enjoying moving around the country. Now she will be the primary care giver, lock stepped to her daughters progress. Mom wants to do this as any good parent would, but she is making major changes to her life to accommodate an adult that just became a needing child again. When a rider leaves their gear on the hook they may be leaving the rest of their life behind. They are called accidents because nobody intends to crash, but life happens in spite of our expectations.

I do hope to be able to follow up this thread ASAP with the joy of miracles, or at least a very positive outcome. No matter what, there is going to be a long series of major surgeries yet to be endured.

Really hate to hear of her mishap, she's about the same age as my two youngest daughters and I can't imagine how I'd feel in the same situation. My hopes and prayers for her recovery.

Wow Alan, that's awful. We are also hoping for the, "holy cow, that's a miracle" scenario. It's amazing how lives can change so dramatically in a split second.

I'm very sorry to hear this and wish the best for Jennifer and your family.

Thank you very much for sharing this. As painful as this must be, it's an important reminder to those of us that don't always go ATGATT. I get lazy sometimes "just going down the road to the store" and need a reminder of how truly selfish that decision is.