Another Crappy Weather Day of M/C Riding in Arizona!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it was a good day. A beautiful day weather-wise here in Arizona where my southeast Washington brother Ignacio decided to grace us with his presence for the day. Santa said he has been bad, so I made him ride the BMW while I stuck with my trusy FJR. If the final drive failed, I was just going to leave him for the buzzards.

Here are my pics, not too different from those posted already, though at least mine are in focus. Mi bastard step-pappy is a luddite.

The group just prior to departure:

Iggy20101.jpg

Lunch break in the sleepy little town of Ajo, AZ:

Iggy20105.jpg

Organ Pipe National Monument. While at the visitor's center we were only 5 miles from the Mexican border. No bandits spotted, however, you will all be glad to know your tax dollars are hard at work down here because there are Border Patrol agents EVERYWHERE. We passed through several checkpoints. At one, I tried to convince the agent that Iggy was a Canadian terrorist and that a body cavity search was necessary! But the BP agent took one look at Iggy and wanted nothing to do with that!

Mi bastard step-pappy and I had planned to take Iggy down to the border and when he wasn't paying attention, throw him over the fence, but I think he suspected something as he wouldn't let us take him down there. Bastard.

Iggy20108.jpg

A beautiful Arizona Day.

Iggy201010.jpg

Kitt Peak Observatory. West of Tucson, this moutain is home to a plethora of telescopes run by various agencies. They currently have two huge one's under construction, but right now they have a big 4m telescope built in 1972. Base of the mountain is at 3200', and in about 10 miles of excellent twisty pavement you climb to the peak at 6800'. No bastard step-pappy in these photos as is all too common, he flaked out early heading home by himself.

My FJR, TestRider, Ignacio.

Iggy201020.jpg

One Kool-Aid drinking mofo from Washington and the 4m telescope.

Iggy201015.jpg

Iggy201017.jpg

On the way back down, at one of the viewpoints.

Iggy201029.jpg

Iggy201028.jpg

Iggy201025.jpg

A great day. I don't know where mi bastard step-pappy learned his math, but my GPS showed exactly 370 miles for the day. Most excellent.

It's about time Iggy washed his jacket. It was gettin' pretty nasty there.

And a FJRForum admin on a GS? :huh: Is that even allowed?

Oh yeah - nice ride !!

Nice ride, indeed! And nice weather it seems. Be patient, though, we're sending some lousy weather your way from Socal.....and I have now seen, or seen evidence of, two admins on Beemers. Let the revolution begin!

I tried to convince the agent that Iggy was a Canadian terrorist and that a body cavity search was necessary! But the BP agent took one look at Iggy and wanted nothing to do with that!
It was a close one Ayy!

He asked me where I was born and when I started to say, "Vancouver......" he perked right up. I thought I was aboot to go to jail.

In my best John Wayne accent I quickly added, "that there would be in Washington State pardner." and he took his hand off his sidearm.

I added, "Take care pilgrim. That guy behind me sorta looks like a Taliban." and rode off.

As for GS1200...it's certainly a nice bike. It was great to try one and gotta thank Skooterg for the chance. Upright position is perhaps a bit nicer than the FJR for tall people....stock seat was pretty good. Windshield worked better than I would have expected. Decent, smooth, and predictable...not a lotta power. But, I gotta tell 'ya....I still think the FJR is WAY better a motorcycle. Granted we didn't go offroad, but it didn't feel to me like it could have been that much better than the FJR on gravel or a dirt road other than clearance.

Thanks guys for a great winter ride. 82 degrees rocked!

I know I was tired when I got home to Tucson. I had done 200+ miles in the rental car plus the 370 and slept like a baby.

Thanks for the pics and report Don! Beautiful scenery for those of us stuck in the clouds... ;) Curious though, with Iggy on the beemer, has Skooter done a Smitty on you already? :blink:

--G

Thanks for the pics and report Don! Beautiful scenery for those of us stuck in the clouds... ;) Curious though, with Iggy on the beemer, has Skooter done a Smitty on you already? :blink:

--G
Gorgeous George, I would never insult Smitty like that; I like Smitty! I do agree with Iggy, if God said I could only own one bike, I would only own an FJR. Fortunately, working a lifetime like the Devil has made me enough money I can afford BMW's, Yamaha's and Harley's! I still want a Ducati, really cool guys like Niehart ride Duc's!!!

It took a while through the hotel internet, but I uploaded the ride from the flats to the top of Kitt Peak

. Skooter's the one in front of me.

Thanks for the ride report guys..... nice to see what the weather is like this time of year.

Maybe next I will be able to see it first hand.

Beautiful day and nice bikes. The riders looked a little scruffy -- can you get some scantily-clad pretty females next time for those of us cold/wet/snowed-in types? If we want to see pot bellies we can look in the mirror. :eek:

Looks like a fun day for all ! I was just up on Kitt Peak a few days before this trip picking up points for the RCC. One of the good twisties in the area.

Don, Which day in January, and where for breakfast? This is a great ride! Just hope the weather cooperates. The weather patterns are wrecking havoc with the mountain rides these days.

Jim in Phoenix
Hola Jim, January's Ride to Prescott via Wickenburg and Bagdad: The January FJR Forum Ride is on Wednesday, January 26 and you need to have finished your breakfast before the Kickstands Up Time of 1030 hours. The Departure Point is the McDonald's Restaurant in Wickenburg, we will determine the Lunch Stop on the fly! Any suggestions for lunch stop?