Any bicyclists around?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have the '06 Jamis Xenith Comp marked down to $1299. Nice components...105/ultegra group, Mavic wheels and hubs, TruVativ Elite Compact crank, etc. It looks like this model was significantly changed in '07. So, question is, would this '06 full carbon Jamis be a better bike than a current alum/carbon mix frame for just a couple bucks more?

Spend 12.000.00 an get yerself a Lance Armstrong repli racer. I don't have the facts here presently but I'll e my bud who spent this $ for that 28 mph carbon fiber trinket and post up here this weekend.

12 Gs, 28 mph? Shit the wifes 70 mph, 250 Rebel at $900.00 was a steal :yahoo:

:jester:

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have more miles on my bicycle this year than I do on my FJR. You can't go wrong buying a name brand bicycle, such as Cannondale or Trek. You may pay a bit more for them, but you know you're getting quality and a company that will stand behind their product and be around for a while. High end used bikes are plentiful on ebay, but be careful, you have to know what you're buying and have some trust in the seller. You should also try to consider what you will be using the bike for. How many miles will you be putting on the bike annually. The more you ride, the better the bike you should have. That will make a difference on how much you should spend on a bike. I would not go below $1,000 for a new bike. Good luck, keep pedaling, and maybe I'll see you on the road some day.

Thanks to all for the advice. Pulled the trigger on the '06 Jamis Xenith Comp. I also got the wife a Specialized Dolce Comp. Going for the full fittings on Monday.

Nice choices Randy

Hope you enjoy many trouble free miles.

You should look into joining a local club

Thanks, Sal. Yep - I'm looking into some clubs, but, I'm gonna work on building a little endurance on my own, first. My goal is to eventually do some tri's, so, I have quite a bit of work ahead of me.

wow, you must not have ridden any bikes from this millenium with this kind of advice - "At any rate let me give you the best advice you can hope for: buy a used steel frame look for a frame with the Reynolds 531 tubing label! it will be near vintage or vintage but believe me when i tell you it is more supple and solid than any modern bike!"

No steel framed bike will ever ride as good as any titanium or good quality all carbon bike. You are right about one thing though - a steel framed bike will DEFINITELY feel more "solid" (i.e. harsh) than any modern bike.

Thats why they are for sale - cheap.

:rolleyes:

Well I too got back in to riding a bicycle the last couple of weeks, i am up to 19+ mile rides and have been riding on this heavy steel mountain bike....

addiephotos009.jpg

so after much looking around and trying to decide between this

maybemine.jpg

and this

crossPRO_4maybethis.jpg

I went with cyclocross pro, I also had them switch out the cassett to a 12-27 and am putting a standard road crank on it compact 50-34....

I like the idea of having a do all bike and since i am already rolling along preety well on this 42+ pound mtb.

i think cutting about 20 puonds off the weight of the bike will do wonders and it is more like a road bike...

hopefully i will start getting into some group rides on it once i get up to where i can go 30+ miles on my own..

already dropped about 15 pounds in the last few weeks so, hope to drop another 15 in the next 6. then another 15 prior to turning 45 and I'll be back to a good healthy weight for me....

already dropped about 15 pounds in the last few weeks so, hope to drop another 15 in the next 6. then another 15 prior to turning 45 and I'll be back to a good healthy weight for me....
That is the key. I laugh at folks that focus heavily and argue about shaving grams off the bike, while ignoring the Dunlop Disease that they are suffering from. (my belly Dun-lop over my belt...) Eat right, spend enough time on the 2 wheels that aren't powered, and you will have a nice, balanced, life... :clapping:

They have the '06 Jamis Xenith Comp marked down to $1299. Nice components...105/ultegra group, Mavic wheels and hubs, TruVativ Elite Compact crank, etc. It looks like this model was significantly changed in '07. So, question is, would this '06 full carbon Jamis be a better bike than a current alum/carbon mix frame for just a couple bucks more?
Hey Randy, the fit is the thing, make sure the bike fits for what kind of riding you want to do. Some things to look at are, Crank length, Stem length, Bar width and more. Once you get the right frame size you can adjust all of these to a degree by buying replacement parts. It would be nice if the bike you choose had these parts that fit you. When I rode Double Centurys the softer riding frame with the seat set back over the pedals was more comfortable. When I road Criteriums, sprinting was more important, so I road a smaller stiffer frame. My old carbon tubed specialized would twist like crazy on a sprint and give you a scary wobble at 53 mph (radar cop) on a downhill but it was comfortable on a 200 mile ride. Have fun and rembember, its never too cold to ride in California. We used to do Thanksgiving morning, New Years morning, and Superbowl morning rides. Once you get into road rides you need leg warmers, arm warmers, bibs, short and long sleeve jerseys, booties, rain jacket, head sock, padded shorts and more. Its like farkles for the FJR. :lol:

+1 to this --- "Hey Randy, the fit is the thing, make sure the bike fits for what kind of riding you want to do"

Most focus on butt-to-crankarm length but the top tube length is very important for overall comfort - reach too far and it's not a good ride.

When you first start riding, work and concentrate on spinning in complete circles to maximize all the power going to the pedals and also keeping your cadence in the 90-100 rpm range. Once you get comfortable doing that you will start "dancing" on the pedals instead of stomping.

Work on longer rides at slower speeds to build endurance first - speed will come naturally when you do.

I have been riding for 20+ years now with six of those amatuer road racing - this year I will have 85,000+ miles overall.

Well, I've got 7 rides under my belt on the new ride and I absolutely love it. I'm just starting, but, my intent is to mix up my rides - alternating between long/flat rides to get distance and work on technique and shorter/hillier (is that a word?) rides to build up strength. After just a few rides and conciously trying to 'push and pull', it's getting easier and I feel like I'm already starting to ride more efficiently. I'm not great at it, but, I get better on every ride. So far, I've hit just shy of 40 mph and the bike felt very stable.

My initial goal is to sustain an 80 RPM cadence and work my way up to 90-100.

I'm going to try a longer ride this weekend - my goal is 30 miles. I know it isn't much for the more experienced, but, it's a start for me.

As far as fit, although I'm no expert, I think the guys at the bike shop did a good job fitting me up. It took about 2 hours. They swapped out the seat post (was an offset, they gave me a straight carbon post), the switched the bars to a wider bar with a shorter reach. They swapped out the stem and adjusted height using the spacers.

Although some may consider it cheesy, I got a carbon fiber pump - matches the frame very nicely.

I'm loving it, but, the FJR is getting jealous.