Any WI/IL riders interested in a SW WI ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheaton,

Even though I am in the dog house with the better half, I may be able to make your July 29 ride meeting at the dodgeville McDonalds.

I will know better by mid week.

CWC

Please note updated meeting time of 9:30am at the Dodgeville McDonalds. We will be leaving between 9:45 and 10:00am depending on when everybody gets there. Please be gassed up with full tanks when you pull into the McDonalds. There are gas stations as you come into town from the south. I will be coming from Hollandale on WI 191.

Some notes and comments following,

Leaving at 10:00 am at the LATEST so if you come late - you may catch up to us if you see our route from the post above and take a shortcut or two or just plain GAS it.

I will not be riding too fast a pace (+10 typically) and entering corners at a mild 20-25 over posted. If I ride too slowly and you want to pass me you may. Just keep the route in mind and bring a map.

According to Microsoft S&T, it takes 3 1/2 hours and 163 miles from Wheaton to Dodgeville, WI.

There will be about 6 hours and 200 miles of fun twisty 2 laners until its time to superslab slab it back home.

Microsoft S&T says about 4 hours and 260 superslab miles to get back home to Wheaton from WI 162 and I90.

What I'm saying is that if you do the whole day with me...prepare for a long but fun day. The FJR is up for it...are you?

Again, bring liquids and snacks/food just in case we don't hit some towns at an early or lunch breaks. We will be stopping every 2 hours or so for breaks...but we won't always be adjacent to towns when we do so.

Also, right now it's just grnarrowe and me.

Pete, if bluebear joins us, will she be ridin' her own or snuggling up wid you?

Craig, I won't count you in until you give me the BIG thumbs up.

Also, whoever is coming - please be in Dodgeville on time. I have long day planned so I can't really wait around...

Hope to see you in Dodgeville.

Wheaties,

What you have planned is one hell of a long day! (very well planned I might add). I have stayed at a nice little hotel in Spring Green, Wisconsin (spring green hotel). It's clean, air conditioned and only $40.00 a night. Great roads surround this quaint little town. If (still a big IF) I go I might stay over night there, otherwise I would probably cut the trip quite a bit at least for me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Great plan and should be a great ride!

CWC

Wheaton,

Bluebear06 will be on her 06 FJR. Ever since I put the Carbonne Lorane(SP?) pads on my 05 she don't like sittin behind me, don't know why :rolleyes: . Let me know which way you goin on up and what time you're leaving and I'll see if we can intercept you along the ay.

Grnarrowe

@Craig:

If you come, you might try a motel around Sparta. If this was an overnight for me that's where I would stay- about 360 to 400 miles to there by the route we're taking. Otherwise you'd have to double back down to Spring Green which would add additional mileage. Me, I know I will just suck it up and put on the sheepskin and slab it back home. I've done this route before and it IS fun - but long. Again, you can peel off anytime you want during the ride - just let me know beforehand so I don't wonder what happened.

@grnarrowe:

If it looks like it is just the three of us (wheaton, grn, BB) and we aren't meeting anyone up in Dodgeville, we can meet possibly at the Belvidere oasis parking lot. If that doesn't work for you, I am getting off I-90 at Rockton Rd and there is a Loves' Truckers Stop west of there that we could meet at. Later in the week(say thursday) we'll pin this down.

I plan to take some little side roads from the Rockton Rd exit and end up on WI 81 west. I take WI 81 west to just past Monroe where I take CTY J north to WI 39 west to Hollandale. At Hollandale, I take WI 191 west into Dodgeville.

There are better ways to go I'm sure - but I enjoy this way. It is a compromise that allows me to get up to Dodgeville with some curvy scenic roads in a reasonable amount of time. This is the way I'm going, you can meet me in Dodgeville if for some reason this route doesn't appeal to you.

I haven't heard a peep from any WI riders (I know you're out there). What's up wid dat?

See y'all in Dodgeville.

If it's an open invite, you might want to post up in STN. Some region 4 riders that live out that way may be interested in joining up for the ride.

Wheaton,

The oasis won't work for me. I'd have to go south then west on 90. I'm up clsoe to WI as it is, I was thinking of taking 43 to 90 and meet up with you around there someplace. That work for you?

Wheaton,The oasis won't work for me. I'd have to go south then west on 90. I'm up clsoe to WI as it is, I was thinking of taking 43 to 90 and meet up with you around there someplace. That work for you?
Grnarrowe: I won't be heading up into WI on I-90, I'll be heading off at Rockton Rd so it looks like we should just meet up in Dodgeville. That's okay though- we'll get plenty of time riding together on Saturday. :)

@ avigar: That's probably a good idea - if I thought of it earlier I would do it. You're welcome to place a link to this thread over there - if you have a mind to. I don't post much over there so I doubt that there would be much interest over there at this late date of a forum newbie announcing a ride...

See you all at the Dodgeville McDonald's this Saturday at 9:30 am...

Just an update on the route:

From Dodgeville, the route is as follows

head north on WI 23 -6 miles

left on WI 130 -11 miles

to WI 133 west along the river -13miles

crossing the WI river at Muscoda on WI 80 - 1 mile

left on WI 60 west -3 miles

rt on cty E north -9 miles

left/west at Boaz on WI 171 -33 miles

rt on WI 35 north along the Mississippi -10 miles

rt on WI 82 east at Desoto -22 miles

left/north on US14 -1 mile

rt on cty SS -1/2 mile

left on Lewison Rd -3/4 mile

rt/east on WI 56 -11 miles

north at Viola on WI 131 Viola -12 miles

left/west on cty P -29 miles

rt/west at Coon Valley on US14 -1 1/2 miles

left/southwest on WI 162 too the MI River -13 miles

Reverse back east on WI 162 up to I90 -30 miles

Sum total of this portion of the route is 206 miles +/-. Microsoft says that with 15 min breaks every 2hours, we should be able to cover this ground in about 6 hours. Therefore, if we leave Dodgeville by 9:45am - we should arrive at the interstate about 4 pm.

This 200 mile portion of the route is the "twisty meat" of the riding - the reason for the day.

Per Microsoft- superslab back to Wheaton will take about 260 miles and 4 hours.

...As stated before, you are welcome to come and peel off as you care to...I'm sure I will be slabbing in the dark, but all 2-lane travel will be in daylight. We will stop for brief breaks ( 5 to 10 mins) every 2 hours to catch fluids and sammiches. Bring fluids with you and pack a sandwich as towns may or may not appear at convenient times. Me, I've got a camelback and will pack sandwiches.

PLEASE NOTE:

I am CANCELLING/POSTPONING the ride through southwest Wisconsin that was scheduled for this Saturday (7/29/06) due to HIGH HEAT.

Repeat - CANCELLED for This Saturday (7/29/06)

I am tentatively rescheduling the ride for the FOLLOWING SATURDAY (8/5/06). I will confirm this midweek when forecasts will enable me to know whether the HIGH HEAT will be still be around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey wheaton,

you want to make a quick run to starved rock and back since the Wisconsin ride has been cancelled?

Let me know.

Craig