Anyone doing an ID/MT trip from Seattle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwil

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I am still between jobs and the weather is really nice. So I am thinking of doing a trip to Idaho and Montana. I know there is a lot of info here on recommended roads so I will start to do my research.

But an even better option would be if someone is already planning a trip and I can just tag along.

So is anyone planning a trip in the near future from the Seattle area to ID/MT that would not mind one more rider? :)

Thanks!

Henry

Would love to - But my trip to Idaho/Montana will be in September and we will stay 2 weeks and help put on two rallies in Kamiah. Would love to talk about roads in that area over a cup of coffee or a piece of pie - any day! Here is a link to a review of some of the roads in the area - part of the Roads and Trails rally that we have been putting on in Kamiah Idaho for the last 5 years.

https://www.soundrider.com/archive/rides/lolo7.aspx

Steve

If you can't find an outbound additional rider trip, here's a framework suggestion ...

Olympia, WA

Biggs Junction, OR

Oxbow, OR

Cambridge, ID

Banks

Stanley

North Fork, ID

Wisdom, MT

... where-ever the hell you want to go in Montana

Thompson Falls or Libby, MT

Colville, WA

Twisp

Rockport, or Monroe

Olympia

post up some photos ... please

Last edited by a moderator:
You could pick up the Butler motorcycle maps for Idaho and Montana. They're very good maps that highlight the best mc routes for the state. I used them last year for this exact trip and the roads/hwys they pointed out were great. The hardest part was trying to link them all together. Have a great trip!

Looks like FESTAR and I are going to do a reverse of your trip in July.

We're meeting in Red Lodge on July 1st, headed to Glacier then points South and West. Going to ride some of the coast and end up in Sparks for the Western Roundup, then back to Spearfish via some mountains to be here to work the Sturgis Rally installing Windshields on Harley s etc starting July 29th.

We're not zactly sure where we are going when we leave Glacier, but LoLo is on the list. Mt St Helens, Mt Ranier and Mt Hood are also in view. Also want to get him on ID 21 from Stanley to Boise, haven't yet started connecting the dots yet.

Any input appreciated.

Someone showed me a Butler map just the other day. I will likely get my own set.

I have a friend that is going to join me for the trip, and he can get away for five days. So here is what I came up with.

Day 1: Olympia to Omak. I have done this before and am reasonable confident on this one.

10491243_10152515210197152_2084546978622332785_n.jpg

Day 2: Omak to Kalispell. This gets us to GNP.

10408034_10152515210227152_2989375092926747631_n.jpg

Day 3: Kalispell to St Mary and back before traffic gets too busy. Then south to Missoula or Lolo.

10380960_10152515210182152_831139703632051153_n.jpg

Day 4: Lolo pass then into Oregon. Not sure if that is the best rout beyond Lewiston. Might go a little further to shorten the last day.

10417615_10152515210232152_8957340740573258621_n.jpg

Day 5: La Grande to Olympia. I want to do the road from Carson to Randle since I have not done it before.

10464171_10152515210282152_6226529995757644284_n.jpg

Open to any suggestions. I will have to go back to do some of the other roads in ID.

Thanks!

Looks like a great ride henwil! Be aware, day 5 will be a long day for you.

BTW, skip Idaho and concentrate on north-central Oregon the next time. You won't be disappointed!

--G

Just a suggestion if you can work it in:

Hwy 37 along lake Koocanusa from Libby to Eureka is a nice ride, and since you'll be THAT close to Glacier, why not go THROUGH Glacier on Going To The Sun Highway, and return via highway 2?

https://goo.gl/maps/oIrDq

Just a suggestion if you can work it in:
Hwy 37 along lake Koocanusa from Libby to Eureka is a nice ride, and since you'll be THAT close to Glacier, why not go THROUGH Glacier on Going To The Sun Highway, and return via highway 2?

https://goo.gl/maps/oIrDq
Thanks Aasland. I like both the suggestions.

Looks like a great ride henwil! Be aware, day 5 will be a long day for you.
BTW, skip Idaho and concentrate on north-central Oregon the next time. You won't be disappointed!

--G
Yes, day 5 will be long but I could not get it to work out better. We will get an early start and sleep in the next day :)

The one time I did north central OR it was a blast. I will heed your advice George for the next trip.

Do you guys think 93 is the best way to go from Kalispell to Lolo, or would 83 be better?

Thanks!

Do you guys think 93 is the best way to go from Kalispell to Lolo, or would 83 be better?
Thanks!
There's also 35 on the east side of the lake.

83 is boring. Nice views of the mission mountains and lake homes but straight as an arrow.

93 has nice views of the lake but has a bit of traffic. Not twisty though; not a terribly engaging ride.

35 is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. A lot less traffic too.

One more question as I am going through the route :)

Going east from Sandpoint MT to Libby MT, would a better MC road be staying on hwy 2 or doing hwys 200 & 56?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Panman. We will do hwys 200 and 56 to Libby. Then 37 to Eureka and 93 to Whitefish.

It looks like it is going to be a hot one and I will be able to make use of my new mesh jacket :)

I think there is a 1000 mile ride posted over on Puget Sound Riders but it is more of a 1000 mile/24 hour thing with start,destination and return points logged for time and mileage. Checked and that was actually a couple of weeks ago.