Anyone have a spare fuel pump to look at?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
If anyone has a spare fuel pump assembly to look at, I would greatly appreciate talking to you so we can look at both together, over the phone, and compare a few things.

Working on a bike that was downed recently. Fuel gauge flashed constantly. Removed the pump & gauge assembly. Only thing I found was one tiny (2-3mm) circular piece of what appeared to be plastic that was stuck across the fuel rheostat. Removed that piece and everything appears to be working fine.

Here's the problem... I have no idea if that piece of "crap" was in any way causing the problem. Makes no sense that a piece of plastic could affect the gauge. It wasn't lying in an area that interfered with the rheostat wiper. The ONLY place I can see that it may have come from is IF there is a plastic "tip" normally molded around the tip of the rheostat wiper, then that's the piece I found.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has a spare fuel pump assembly to look at, I would greatly appreciate talking to you so we can look at both together, over the phone, and compare a few things.

Working on a bike that was downed recently. Fuel gauge flashed constantly. Removed the pump & gauge assembly. Only thing I found was one tiny (2-3mm) circular piece of what appeared to be plastic that was stuck across the fuel rheostat. Removed that piece and everything appears to be working fine.

Here's the problem... I have no idea if that piece of "crap" was in any way causing the problem. Makes no sense that a piece of plastic could affect the gauge. It wasn't lying in an area that interfered with the rheostat wiper. The ONLY place I can see that it may have come from is IF there is a plastic "tip" normally molded around the tip of the rheostat wiper, then that's the piece I found.
FWIW I had occasion to turn my ignition on with both the fuel pump and the sender connectors disconnected. The fuel gauge flashed all its bars.

Maybe you have an open circuit in (presumably) the gauge or wiring? But possibly the pump.

Just a thought.

[edit] Just found a reference in the service manual.

Note: This fuel meter is equipped with a self-diagnosis system. If the electrical circuit is defective, all the display segments will start flashing. If this occurs, check the electrical circuit.
[/edit]

[edit 2] Just re-read your post, should have read it properly the first time. Ignore me. (SWMBO does, so why shouldn't you?)

[/edit 2]

Here's where the piece of foreign matter was located.

fuelpump-3.jpg

Here's what the rheostat wiper looks like now.

fuelpump-1.jpg

Take a high speed dotco 90 and clean the contacts up with 80 grit sand paper. Should work fine after that. Just make sure you clean up your mess now, johnny? :p