Apache Trail Dirt Ride Saturday, FEB 23-0800 Meet Up.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

The Phoenix Sport Bike Club rode the Apache Trail with their Crotch Rockets, so a good FJR pilot such as SkooterG could also ride it!

Don, I would like to do this, but someone you know has my DRZ.

I just don't feel comfortable doing it on my FJR.

Tucson Joe

Don, I would like to do this, but someone you know has my DRZ. I just don't feel comfortable doing it on my FJR. Tucson Joe
Understood Jose, that Bullying Whining Girlie-Man Ugly-Ass Douchebag from Albuquerque has your DRZ! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

It now appears we have a half dozen riders going on the Apache Dirt Ride this Saturday 2/23. Six is a really good number for an off road ride because it is easy to look after that amount, plus it gives us enough manpower to pick up Back Road Bob and his BMW GS! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Any additional questions about this Trek: 480-440-4666 or [email protected]

My bike (KLR) is in Gila Bend -I`m not!! I road that twice last Nov. plus up rt 188 to El Oso road and up to 4 peaks. Fun ride.

My bike (KLR) is in Gila Bend -I`m not!! I road that twice last Nov. plus up rt 188 to El Oso road and up to 4 peaks. Fun ride.
Rick, really great to hear from you! Next time you're in Gila Bend just give me a call and we'll go off roading, I'm still a big KLR fan!

Rick, really great to hear from you! Next time you're in Gila Bend just give me a call and we'll go off roading, I'm still a big KLR fan!
I`ll do that . The only stipulation is (whispering don`t tell ScooterG, he`s trouble) This will be our secret.

Wikipedia says "is not recommended for large RVs, SUVs, or caravans".

I'm guessing a FJR might make it
rolleyes.gif
. Any noteworthy water crossings?

Have fun. I wish it wasn't so far away!

I`ll do that . The only stipulation is (whispering don`t tell ScooterG, he`s trouble) This will be our secret.
Rick, actually contemplating adding a Husqvarna TR 650 Terra to my stable; so, I could let "trouble" ride my BMW GS along with us!

Wikipedia says "is not recommended for large RVs, SUVs, or caravans".

I'm guessing a FJR might make it
rolleyes.gif
. Any noteworthy water crossings?

Have fun. I wish it wasn't so far away!
FJR could definitely make it in the hands of a good rider, Back Road Bob and I saw a Harley-Davidson Low Rider going down Fish Creek Hill as we went up it! We rode the Apache Trail both ways today, 50 miles total of dirt. Only noteworthy water crossing is Tortilla Creek itself which is just 100 yards East of Tortilla Flats Restaurant, the crossing is only 60' long and the bottom is paved. Today it was running at six inches of water, crossing it standing on the foot pegs was easy as pie!

DSCF0411.jpg

Papa Chuy Viejo - One of the Greatest Dirt Riders Ever, yamafitter and rushes worship the ground I walk on!

DSCF0406.jpg

Jim - "Quien Sabe"

DSCF0421.jpg

Bob - "Back Road"

DSCF0420.jpg

We started telling offroad BS and Lies before we even hit the dirt section! Es Verdad, ese!

DSCF0412.jpg

Brief stop at Tortilla Flats to switch off ABS, no need to air down on this great road surface.

DSCF0405.jpg

Two BMW F650GS Twins and a F650GS Single, dcarver was afraid to ride dirt today: Any day!

DSCF0407.jpg

Absolutely a Gorgeous Day to be riding in our Beautiful Sonoran Desert Scenery: I Love Arizona!

DSCF0414.jpg

The only dirt I'm seeing is off to the side of the pavement that you were riding on. What a bunch of posers
flirt.gif

I am left to wonder if you got more than 5 miles away from a Starbucks.

Left to right: Kerry Willey - IBA #130, Back Road Bob Little, Max and FlyGuy405 Mark.

DSCF0403.jpg

Left to right: Kerry, Jim - "Quien Sabe", Bob, Max and Mark

DSCF0404.jpg

Apache Lake is almost full, but Lake Roosevelt is sadly really low on water this year.

DSCF0415.jpg

Inlet leading up to Roosevelt Dam looked really inviting, but the air and water were very cold.

DSCF0418.jpg

This lakeside Ramada always makes a great stop for pictures, conversation and to relax for a while!

DSCF0423.jpg

The Magnificent Lake Roosevelt Bridge, crosses the entry to the dam face: Main Phoenix water supply!

DSCF0422.jpg

Pic is just a test to see if you're paying attention to Papa Chuy Viejo's Ride Report, I take it this woke you guys up! HUBBA, HUBBA!

480401_10152159039640931_641484486_n.jpg

Great Friends, Incredible Scenery, Fine Weather and Outstanding Motorcycles; hard to beat that combination!

DSCF0419.jpg

Thanks for the ride report. I may have to get one of those F650GS. Another ex-FJR rider I ride with sometimes has one and thinks they are a great all purpose bike with plenty of power. He keeps getting me into some ridiculous off road areas, trails, water crossings, roads that turn into goat paths. OK so far, but a Beemer with a reliable chain drive could be in my future, as second bike of course.

Any pics of the Wing splashing through the water crossing?

Latest posts