Apple Macbook Air or Pro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooper

Reaction score
I am in the market for a replacement of my desk top computer. I would like a lap top for it's mobility. I will mainly surf the net but plan to purchase a Go pro so i will want to edit and store video as well. I am leaning towards the Pro but really have a lot to learn yet about both models.

My price limit is close to $1500.

Anyone care to comment on these models ?

Thanks

Scooper

I recently got a 15 in? MacBook Pro and love it. I went with a refurbished unit from apple. I was a little nervous ordering a refurbished one, but am really glad I did. Saved myself about $400 and when it arrived it looked like it had never been touched! Plus, it came with the same warranty. I've had it a few months and love it. Coming from pc's there has been a learning curve, but I'm glad I made the switch.

The Airs are completely solid state, while the Pros are still available with conventional hard drives. If you're going to be taking it with you on the bike, the Air is arguably more suited, but I have had two Pros over the last 5 years, and never had any issues stemming from them riding in my top trunk (powered off, of course).

Since you mentioned video editing, more monitor space is a valuable commodity, as is storage space. The Air comes in either an 11" or 13" model, while the Pros come in 13" and 15" (they just discontinued the 17" on the last refresh cycle). I don't remember the drive sizes for the Air, but to get more space = $$$$$$ bucks, as SSD are still much more expensive than conventional hard drives, though far speedier and suitable for editing. If you do go with a Pro, make sure the drive is a 7200RPM model. I would definitely suggest in either case to invest in a sizable external hard drive (either USB3.0 or Thunderbolt) to store video. The newer the machine, the closer to $2000 it will be; you should be able to find a recent refurb model (not a bad way to go with Apple, my iPad was a refurb and its still going strong over a year later) that should hit most of the specs I mentioned for close to your $1500 budget...if not, there's always Craigslist...

Another Koolaid drinker here, FWIW.

My bride and I have "plain" MacBooks. We take them (sometimes only one) with us when we travel - for Internet, email and to download our photos at the end of the day. Our cameras are of modest resolution (5.1 & 10 mp) and we sometimes have 15,000 photos by the time we get home. Then we edit, delete and backup. BTW, I take all my photos on the road with my iPhone. I've never "missed a shot", in any light or weather condition, from Lisbon to Istanbul and from Helsinki to Cairo.

I carry mine in a small daypack on airlines and to- and from- hotels & ships and it has never missed a beat, despite the usual rough handling in subways, taxis, busses & trains.

They are small enough (13" screen) to fit in the little room safes in hotels, too. If you plan on traveling to Europe or other countries, an adaptor for charging works perfectly.

More koolaid, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Pro and Air. The Air is so much lighter, it's great for traveling. The Pro is big and heavy, but has a great screen, especially for video and picture editing. The SSD drive is much faster, so I'd suggest it even if you have to add an external for storage. Also make sure you get as much RAM as you can afford... Makes more difference than almost anything else as far as speed.

I got a referb iMac and I had a problem with it, Apple fixed it at the store, no charge. Another problem occured and the Mgr said .. "give him a new one" .. I was Very happy with the service. As for Air or not, I was in the same type of question.. but I was going a bit further.. mini? iPad? air or pro.. To me the air is a iPad with a keyboard and screen... If I was going to do photos on the road, I would want a hard drive.. That's me.. The 13" is still a bit large, it's no netbook.. BTW my battery crapped out on my macbook.. $125 from apple...ouch!

YMMV..

mitch

Whatever you get, get the AppleCare. It's worth the extra cost. My wife and I run our business primarily on Macs and have used that support several times.

You can always get an external hard drive via Thunderbolt to FireWire or straight to FireWire depending on model. An external 5400 rpm drive via FireWire (LaCie Rugged Orange or GTech Mini) is not the fastest out there, but good enough to get the job done. We stay away from the USB drives as speeds are unreliable for the editing that we've done.

I got a refurbed 27" mid 2010 iMac and loved it so much I got a 15" Macbook Pro (early 2011 - also a refurb). I went with the Pro because you sacrifice too much power to get the Air. After watching my daughter struggle with her 17" WinTel laptop, I kept the Macbook Pro to 15".

Some other considerations:

If you need to have a desktop replacement in a laptop, you can add an external display. With newer models you can use the Thunderbolt connection and chain to the external monitor, docking stations, and other preipherals. The throughput is more than twice as fast than USB 3.0.. But the newer Pros have both so you have options (the Airs don't).

You can get a Pro with an SSD. You can also use the resources as iFixit to add an SSD and turn a Pro into a dual drive system if you want.

Speaking of iFixIt... check them out for a great big list of DIY modding projects.

RamJet is an excellent source for Mac certified RAM at half the cost of Apple's. Get the basic RAM with the laptop than go get a kit from RamJet and use the guide from iFixIt to do your own upgrade. I kept the OEM RAM in the MacBook Pro and added 2 more modules so am running 10Gb.

On the iMac I upgraded all 4 RAM modules and am running at 16Gb. I also installed an SSD (under the DVD drive and kept the 1Tb spinning drive) and swapped out the CPU (from an i5 to an i7); all using guides from iFixIt.

I got a 13" Macbook Air, my first Mac - the hardware on Macs are awesome, but still trying to integrate my brain around the goofy way they do shit.... LOL I even partitioned it to run both Mac and WinDOZE so I can choose, but I rarely ever run winblows with it.

With a small decent sleeve (Incase SlingSleeve) I can load up the MAC, power chord and a bunch of extra shit in it - and it fits right in the sade case of the FJR. Which was one of the reasons I got the AIR. Solid State, compact, and great hardware. great little machine for traveling.

I'm thrilled with this thing....

I've got two 13 " Apple Airs and a 13" Macbook Pro. The Pro is my school computer, but I use it daily. I did a great deal of research on them before buying.

Several big differences:

Air is much thinner and lighter.

Air runs cooler... especially when it's sitting on your lap. I sit for hours with this thing on my lap: I'm typing on it now. This matters to me.

Air has a brighter display. You'll notice the difference.

Air has better sound quality, but not by much.

Older airs didn't have backlit keyboards... say the Oct of '10 models. Newer ones (bought mine Nov '12) do.

My Oct '10 air has a 2 gb ram with a 128 gb solid state hard drive.

My Nov '12 air has a 4 gb ram with a 128 gb solid state hard drive.

My Summer of '12 Macbook pro has a much larger hard drive, but it's not solid state.

Difference: the air is a seriously fast computer for most of what I do. The MacBook is faster when it comes to doing things like video rendering. But the air is so much faster at some things. For example, from full off to full on and ready to rock is about 13 seconds.

Hit the Microsoft Word icon: 2 seconds and it's up and running. The read/write speed of a Solid State hard drive is second to none and significantly faster than standard hard drives and...

the best part of all and the reason I bought the air(s), there are no hard drives to crash.

I've run these computers a long long time without any virus or adware protection, and thus far they run flawlessly.

My air doesn't have a high speed port for transferring stuff quickly, nor does it have a dvd/cd player. That matters. I have a 79.00 remote unit to do this, and when it's plugged into one of the usb ports, it functions just like an onboard dvd/cd player would. But it is extra.

Hope that helps. By the way, don't be afraid to buy refurbished from Apple. Typically, they're only a couple weeks old and mine was in perfect condition.

Gary

darksider #44

You can get a Pro with an SSD. You can also use the resources as iFixit to add an SSD and turn a Pro into a dual drive system if you want.
Speaking of iFixIt... check them out for a great big list of DIY modding projects.

RamJet is an excellent source for Mac certified RAM at half the cost of Apple's. Get the basic RAM with the laptop than go get a kit from RamJet and use the guide from iFixIt to do your own upgrade. I kept the OEM RAM in the MacBook Pro and added 2 more modules so am running 10Gb.

On the iMac I upgraded all 4 RAM modules and am running at 16Gb. I also installed an SSD (under the DVD drive and kept the 1Tb spinning drive) and swapped out the CPU (from an i5 to an i7); all using guides from iFixIt.
FYI, the retina MBPs are not upgradable after the fact as the RAM and SSD is solder directly onto the board. The non-retina MBP use the 2.5" SATA HDD and common SDIMM sticks and therefore one may replace them with 3rd party parts. OWC is another good source. We've been using both RamJet and OWC for a long time.

The same goes for the current iMac lineup. The 20" is not easily upgradable. However, the 27" memory is.

FWIW - My buddy bought 3 of these 27" monitors if anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative to the apple cinema display... They use the exact same display as Apple for easy 1/2 the price. You can find them on ebay... but he loves his and they have been flawless....

They are stunning looking....

FWIW - My buddy bought 3 of these 27" monitors if anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative to the apple cinema display... They use the exact same display as Apple for easy 1/2 the price. You can find them on ebay... but he loves his and they have been flawless.
do they include Thunderbolt?

and the point about the newer Macbooks and mod-a-bility is a concern for me. iFixIt also downgrades them for these reasons. if I was buying today, i'd look for a later model without retina that isn't fighting to be slim at the cost of field repair.

Thank you all for the insite.

One question what is flash storage ? I am looking at a refurbished Macbook pro with the following specs.

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display
Originally released October 2012
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

720p FaceTime HD Camera

Intel HD Graphics 4000

The next level is

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 with Retina Display
Originally released October 2012
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage

720p FaceTime HD Camera

Intel HD Graphics 4000 This one is a little over my $1500 limit.

Thanks

FWIW - My buddy bought 3 of these 27" monitors if anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative to the apple cinema display... They use the exact same display as Apple for easy 1/2 the price. You can find them on ebay... but he loves his and they have been flawless.
do they include Thunderbolt?
Doesn't appear so....

avoid the i5 with Retina. it's way too many pixel getting pushed around using a marginal CPU and GPU. there have been some reporting refresh issues. "Flash storage" is what we've been calling SSD. You get it instead of a (spinning) hard drive. Both listed models don't mention what video card is there other than the integrated chip on the motherboard. Macbook Pros flip back-and-forth between the integrated chip (lower power consumption) and some form of higher performance video card (more power load but better GPU performance). If both of the 13" models listed are solely relying on the integrated video to drive a retina display then you'll be very dissappointed in the results.

if the i7, and a higher end GPU along with the retina display are outside your budget, pick an i7 with higher-end GPU with a standard display. your experience will be better even without retina.

as for the 3rd party monitors; of paired with a newer model Macbook, then the Thunderbolt support will be needed unless you get a T-Bolt to Display Port adapter (which may then negate the use of external T-bolt drives in the chain). do some more research before diving in. if you're picking the SSDs listed, external storage will eventually become a must.

Thank you all for the insite.One question what is flash storage ?

"Flash storage" is the most common memory technology used for the "SSD" (or "Solid State Drive" or "Solid State Disc" - depends who you talk to).

MBP 13" Retina i5/2.5GHz

MBP 13" Retina i7/2.9GHz

Both use Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU which uses shared memory.

The upgraded NVidia GPU are only in the 15" models.