Are they 'squids?' Maybe not!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
Oftentimes, I figure the dude riding his bike wearing jeans is a squid. Well, I just might be wrong..... maybe!

Lately, I just don't feel like wearing my full leather getup to do some minor riding and/or jump into town for a bit. So..........

After some research on the mightly web, I bought a pair of Diamond Gusset kevlar jeans. I also got a Bohm underArmor pant. I wear the jeans over my pair of Cortech boots. We be stylin'! :ph34r:

Everything feels nice & snug EXCEPT if I sit down in my office chair. The tailbone pad sorta gets annoying but it can be worked out of the way.

There's a velcro tab on the jean cuffs that be tightened to fit snug on the boot, if need be. Also, I didn't bother inserting the thigh pads that are included.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a squid? If I send you a list of my riding apparel will you give me your opinion of my species? Do I really need to wear a full leather suit to be a true motorcyclist? What about motorcycle brands?

If yer not dressed head to toe in full leathers you are a squid. It's ok, though......I am a squid.

And all the ATGATT types out there are liars. Cept maybe a select few. Those pups have my respect.

day in day out....two minute ride to the beer store....sweating like a pig....jaunt round the neighborhood to see if the latest farkle works.....blaw blah blau

I know you can get seriously hurt within a block of your house, but I wonder how many of the ATGATT folks actually go full Power Ranger just for a quick run to the video store? I can tell you not many, if any, do so around here. Helmet? Check. Armored jacket? Check. Gloves? Check. Riding pants? . . . uh, no. Only on long trips. Stupid? Maybe. Lazy? Definitely.

Hmm...I guess that puts me into the "squidly" category. I almost always wear AT LEAST jacket, gloves, helmet, boots everywhere I go. Only if I'm gonna be far from home or riding really hard to I put on my riding pants and back protector.

Thats when an Aerostitch 1 piece shines. On or off in under 10 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...I guess that puts me into the "squidly" category. I almost always wear AT LEAST jacket, gloves, helmet, boots everywhere I go. Only if I'm gonna be far from home or riding really hard to I put on my riding pants and back protector.

What! No pants?!?! You squid! :clapping: :D

You aren't a one a them Village People now is ya?

By April it will be 80F here. My choices are...

A. Ride bike to work with Docker pants.

B. Leave bike parked in garage.

C. Find some type of chap or similar clothing that can be worn over Docker pants and not wrinkle the living crap out of my pants underneath, despite the 80-90F temps and real humidity. (Scab, I need your help.)

Showing up at work in jeans is not acceptable behavior on any day except Friday.

I ride in the best apparel that fits the time and dress code constraints available to me. Definitely not a perfect choice. But I ride.

IF MINIMIZING EVERY RISK POSSIBLE WAS MY FIRST CHOICE IN LIFE, I WOULD NEVER HAVE SAT ON, RIDDEN OR BOUGHT A SINGLE MOTORCYCLE. I ride.

Around here, the thousands of HD riding Marines call me "Mr. Safety" because they always see me wearing helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Now ain't that just a hoot!

:)

If yer not dressed head to toe in full leathers you are a squid. It's ok, though......I am a squid.And all the ATGATT types out there are liars. Cept maybe a select few. Those pups have my respect.

day in day out....two minute ride to the beer store....sweating like a pig....jaunt round the neighborhood to see if the latest farkle works.....blaw blah blau
Is there a prize for ATGATT and it should be double considering that I used to work 2.5 miles from home and now 1 and will still be ATGATT once the damn snow goes away.

I ride to work in full gear, including mesh overpants. When it's warm I wear a t-shirt and carry the work shirt in the case with my shoes (which are there because I'm wearing boots on the bike.) If it's warm enough to arrive a bit sweaty, I sit in front of a fan, then "ponge bathe" in the restroom. Takes about 10 minutes to become presentable after arrival.

But yeah, I wear the pants, too, to go to the grocery store 3 miles out, or WalMart 4 miles the other way.

Really, what I usually do is go to the grocery store or the WalMart across town, 15 miles or so. Just for bike time. :D

To work I take the freeways and I'm in full gear year round. I do have pant and jacket liners I can remove, vents to open and a more vented summer jacket (Alpinestars T-Stunt Airflow) I use. In the summer with the liner of the Alpinestars removed and a cool vest on, it's better than air-conditioning in a car.

If I'm just cruising in town at 40mph or less, I may go with nothing more than a jacket, gloves, and helmet.

On longer trips it's full leather...there's just something about leather...

I just put a down payment and trading in my VTX1800 for an 08 FJR, and have a confession to make. In the last 5 years of riding the X, I would be wearing bluejeans, a t-shirt, no gloves, and NO HELMET!! I got caught up in the "profiling" aspect of cruisers. This even though my brother is an MSF instructor in Texas! Anyway, last year I started wearing a helmet once in a while, then more often, then all of the time. Mesh jacket with protectors followed, as well as summer or winter gloves, and heavier textile jacket with protectors as weather dictated. Got to be where I didn't feel comfortable without them. Might not be the ultimate in protection, but my brother must be proud!!