ATGATT - NO MATTER WHAT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got a new e-bicycle. Had it for 3 days before wiping out when the front tire got caught in an edge trap.

Before every ride I thought about which riding gloves to wear but then forgot by the time I pulled out.

I had considered the "shorts as riding gear" history but wore shorts anyway. Jeans don't help much against road rash anyway.

Down at about 20 mph. VERY glad the first accessory I bought was an $80 helmet. There's a welt and some scrapes on my forehead where I nurfed the front-left quarter into the ground. The welt is the exact shape of the liner grid of the helmet.

Mostly road rash. The goose egg on my forearm was where it bridged the gap between the turf and the sidewalk. Bruised my left ribs so it's hard to listen to people tell jokes (hahaha OUCH hahaha OUCH). My new Reeboks got rashed too but, being "high tops" (over the ankle) was another lucky choice.

Don't make excuses. ATGATT

EBikeWreck.jpg

Ouch.

Lucky it wasn't a lot worse though.

Have to say, I feel neckid without full gear, even when it's really too hot.

I also mutter stuff to myself when I see squids out with shorts and flip-flops - or might as well be, normal clothing gives up instantly when rubbed on tarmac, leaving only your protective layer of skin and flesh before the ground is rubbing on bone. So, in your honour, "mutter, mutter".

I binned it on my e-bike going at a slower pace.  Hit the ground hard with my un-helmeted head and missed a boulder in the sand by about 1".   Becoming a useless, drooling invalid was never on my bucket list so I bought a Bell full face MTB helmet.  Now I can save my one good tooth too!

Did you buy the e-bike to help with a healthier life-style??  :p   

Glad it wasn't worse.  (What did you buy btw?  I started looking at these recently.)

Gravity sucks. I had one bad fall off a bicycle that besides breaking a collar bone and badly spraining a wrist,  it taught me to always wear gloves. Back then they didn’t really have bike helmets, and no one really wore any protection at all. 

The glove thing did carry over to when I started riding a motorcycle, and I of course wore a helmet. I guess it might look out of place wearing racing leathers when on a bicycle, but the ground still is just as hard if you go down. 

Do they make something more productive than knee pads for bicyclists? 

Hope you heal quickly, glad it wasn’t worse. And I know from a previous crash, bruised ribs aren’t fun at all. 

Gravity sucks. I had one bad fall off a bicycle that besides breaking a collar bone and badly spraining a wrist,  it taught me to always wear gloves.
The glove thing did carry over to when I started riding a motorcycle, and I of course wore a helmet.
Do they make something more productive than knee pads for bicyclists?
Knifemaker,

A friend of mine rides the dirt.  Lately, he gave me a pair of his old kneepads, which look kinda like baseball catcher's gear.  (Hey! . . .) They protect like a helmet, from the kneecaps down to the boots.  I'd have to paint them black, or cover them with thin denim (like adding a layer of Fiberglass), or apply a dark "Carbon Fiber" Mylar film, to avoid looking freaky.  Serious armor, though.  I have often considered trying some of the body armor those guys use, under a riding jacket.

Ouch.

Lucky it wasn't a lot worse though.

Have to say, I feel neckid without full gear, even when it's really too hot.

I also mutter stuff to myself when I see squids out with shorts and flip-flops - or might as well be, normal clothing gives up instantly when rubbed on tarmac, leaving only your protective layer of skin and flesh before the ground is rubbing on bone. So, in your honour, "mutter, mutter".
Got a good phrase from a friend. "Own the derp"

Bicycles are motorcycles. Right? I looked at gloves laying on the shelf every time I went for a ride. I thought several times about shorts instead long pants (and jeans vs skids never hold up anyway, right?).

And I always talked myself out of it. The evening before I was screaming along a bike path at about 31.x mph (supposedly a hard limit at 28) and loving the wind flapping my shirt sleeves. I was doing about 15 when I went down.

Thankfully the bike did fare better than I did. A little rash on the end of the right brake lever and a very slight bit on the gloss black grip cap. Both treated and released with some black Sharpie.

[quote

Did you buy the e-bike to help with a healthier life-style??  :p   

Glad it wasn't worse.  (What did you buy btw?  I started looking at these recently.)
Yes. I caught the irony, too.

Got it from a place called Boton ebikes. Odd communication policy. Send them an email and they answer a few times a week or make an appointment for a 15 minute phone call. Small shop trying to keep the phone from slowing down deliveries.

It's a mountain bike so the rake and trail are a little steeper than some bikes I had growing up. Makes it a little twitchy but normal for mountain bikes. I wanted a trail bike but this was significantly discounted at the end of the year.. The specs are (Class 3 with throttle):

BATTERY: 36V10.4AH374WH DISPLAY: 880LED
MOTOR: 36V350W GEARED MOTOR SENSOR: V7
CHARGER TIMES: 4-5HOURS

STEM:pROMAX ALLOY

CONTROLLER: 36V18A SADDLE: VELO (already swapped for a Cloud9)

FRAME: ALLOY 6061
SEAT POST:pROMAX ALLOY
FORK: ALLOY
SHIFTING LEVER: SHIMANO ALTUS 8S HEAD SET: VP COMPONENTS
REAR DERALLEUR: SHIMANO ALTUS 8S CRANKSET: 42*34*24T*170MM FRONT DERALLEUR: SHIMANO 3S
RIM: POWER DOUBLE WALL FREEWHEEL:SHIMANO ALTUS 8S
HUB: SHIMANO
TYRE: KENDA 27.5*1.95
BRAKE: TEKTRO DISC BRAKE
BRAKE LEVER: WUXING
WEIGHT: 50 LBS

Got a good phrase from a friend. "Own the derp"
Oh, I do.

But then, I didn't read your post properly, just looked at the pictures with blood in them. My bad.

On the other hand, the pedant in me says you have a bicycle that has an electric motor. That makes it a motorised bicycle. Let's shorten that name to "motor-cycle". And it obviously travels at 28 mph or so. Falling off any vehicle at that speed hurts just the same, assuming it doesn't fall on top of you (my FJR didn't when I fell off it at about that speed, just surfed the tarmac, watching my bike gently spinning on its side, meanwhile hoping I didn't hit the curb - wrote about my embarrassment here). 

Mind you, you would look a bit - erm, searching for the right word - unusual(?) in full motorcycle kit. And, if you took over pedalling from your motor, you would get exceedingly warm. Which would be a good excuse for a nice cold beverage after the ride. Or two.

Pedal Assist is the mode most used. The throttle mode is just if I get gasses before getting there (or back). Battery last MUCH longer that way. I will endeavor to persevere and stay off the sidewalks from now on.

Had an IBA Woman show me a picture of her dislocated shoulder as she was wishing well. Made me question my dancing around the edge of a whine while trying to encourage ATGATT. She said that road rash hurts the most but my bruised ribs would argue that point.

Glad you did wear a helmet and didn't brake any bones or got a concussion. Kind of reminds me of my childhood. The only difference is back than I'd be back on the bike in few hours and now I'd be sore and achy for two weeks or so.

Self inflicted wounds hurt worse and you have to look at the dumb shit in the mirror. BTDT

If it makes you fell better, I did an over the bars on my new ebike the first outing, as I hit a tree root on a trail and thought I could crest it like on my dirt bike.