Attention scofflaws!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do it every morning, and most afternoons when I'm in town. And will continue to do so, absent cross traffic. Hazards on, move through the intersection. Otherwise I couldn't travel on a motorcycle in my area.

Well, that got attention!

(1) Governor's name is Nathan Deal. And he is obviously NOT a moto-boy. And therefore I am NOT voting for him.

(2) I run red lights often, as I live in a dense office/retail part of town and I get SO PISSED OFF when the light turns red for me at 2am Sunday with a closed shopping center on my right and an uninhabited office building on my left. Look around for other vehicles and police officers, click into 1st gear (if fooled into stopping), and WOT.

(3) No hazards needed because all y'all should be watching out for idiots like me.

As for the rest of you bums: You are welcome to visit anytime, dcarver, and run reds with me, but your Candy Butt presidency might risk impeachment. I am not on my period, but thanks for considering it. My reading comprehension used to be pretty good, but the Alzheimer's is creeping up. Thanks for the invitation to run red lights in Ontario, but I'm not sure immigration would let me back into the US.

And Lord help me do anything in life except turn into Bust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondered about Cali's position on this, and found this from a blog by an attorney/rider (in response to whether there can be an exception here to a failure to trigger the green arrow):

"The answer is No.

Turning left against a red light is illegal in the State of California under any circumstances, and (you) risk a ticket, an accident, or worse by doing this.

Light-triggering sensors are supposed to detect motorcycles, however, over time; the sensors can lose sensitivity or stop working. If a motorcyclist encounters this problem at an intersection along a California highway, they can call Caltrans at 1-800-383-4631 to reach a public information officer and report the problem. Or they could visit https://www.caltrans8.info and report it online. Caltrans will adjust the sensor."

So good luck. I don't much like any ticket, but this one would really frost my ass in the circumstances Uncle Hud gives in no. 2, above. I suppose the right turn and turning around again option might be better. Unless, of course, I think I could get away with making the illegal turn anyway.
wink.png

(Anybody else remember the scene from "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" where the entire city is asleep and they finally step off the curb to cross, and a police car screeches to a stop right in front of them? I picture that every time this happens to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a red light that I can almost never get to sense my bike on my commute to work. It's fairly rural but busy enough that someone usually will come along before I get too frustrated. The right turn has a median for a good bit so the U-turn method really sucks here. What annoys me most is how often the person pulling up behind me stays wayyy back cause they don't want to crowd the scary motorcyclist. Then they aren't close enough to trip the signal. I've found that if I pull way up they even stay farther back because they think I want room or maybe they think I'm crazy. I wave them up but sometimes they won't move up so we just sit and admire the red light until they finally catch on.

If I get called in to work in the middle of the night, I'll stop for a minute and turn left through the light every time, though.