Austintaceous Racing at Circuit of the Americas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyBlue

Arrhythmia and Blues
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to take the entire 130 toll rd from north to south....Georgetown to Seguin @ 85 mph legally !... yesterday and lo and behold I spied the new Circuit of the Americas track and it looks BRILLIANT ! MotoGP '13 will be here in April 19-21 and I am stoked to MAX !!! My puckin pacemaker is doin all it can to contain my exicititude !!! I have yet to buy tickets, and they are going fast, but i wanted to check and see here first if'n any of y'all have made plans and such. I am calling tomorrow to find out about handicapped motorcycle parking and availability etc. I plan on doing the whole enchilada if possible, its close and i'm all phucked up and poor....internal...gerbil damage ..so i gotta do this. Whos Going ?

Bobby

Not me. The only kind of racing I like to watch is in a straight line, and NHRA f'd that up when they went to 1000 feet.

You can get all your ticket info here.

https://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/moto-gp

My tickets are purchased. I had death threats from my wife if I didn't buy them the day they came available. We also made our hotel reservations because we remember the debacle trying to get reservations for Indy several years ago. Ended up not going for other reasons and sold those tickets so the wife is adamant that we attend this one. We also lost our corporate apartment in Austin this week that I'd been planning on using. Made reservations the day they announced the dates and some hotels were already full.

Yes, I got the wife interested in MotoGP some years ago and she's become a huge Vale fan (because he's so hot apparently) and wants to see him live in person before he retires. I'm trying to talk her into us taking the FJR down there but likely we'll be caging it. Her back still isn't 100% from her surgery last year so she's still not riding. We'll see.

Thanks Jasen...I still havent learned how to do much on these machines. I also have tickets and family close for a change ! I have a 3 day pass as you do i'm sure, I'm in section T15-14, Row 23, seat 9. I cant wait !!!! Never been to a World Class motorcycle race, club action is all i've witnessed. I hope to meet a few forumites. I plan on attending a couple practice sessions for F1 as they are cheap and i can get the layout of the facility down a little. I'll keep everyone abreast as i learn. This is to be my warm up for an IOM trip to see the Manx GP in '14, unless i get a heart transplant...no more overseas travel then. But for now, We are ON !!!

Thanks again,

Bobby

Nice, yea, we got the three day general admission pass. We paid for assigned seats at the AMA Race at Mid Ohio. Aside from finding them, we never used them as we were on the move all the time. I've heard that the same will also apply for the MotoGP races. Howver, turn 15 looks like the place to be. Who wants to watch the straight when you can see the back straight and several turns. I bet you see a lot of passing in that section. We figured we'll do GA this year and then make our decision for next year after visiting.

Good luck on the Manx GP. We are wanting to do one of the overseas GP's, specifically one of the Italian ones to sit amongst the Rossi crowd and see how crazy they get before he retires, but I doubt it'll happen.

Time for a little bump....who's going and how can we meet up...i live close but dont know the track etc at all...i vote for BelRay smoke signals in the parkin lot but i'm soooo tired of the collateral damage...i'm gonna be on my bike and in parking lot H with what looks to be lots of other bikes all 3 days but i'm stayin in Lockhart, 20 min south....lets party !!!

Bobby

You can find me on a golf cart, wearing a light blue polo shirt that has Seton stitched on it. My wife works at the trauma center here, they were looking for someone to tool around on the cart, and free admission and parking seemed like a good deal!

Not me. The only kind of racing I like to watch is in a straight line, and NHRA f'd that up when they went to 1000 feet.
....and you get in free...its good to know my Karma is balancing out JM...if i have a cardiac "event" maybe i could get a jump in the paddock....you know, bein' family and all....is your gig all 3 days ? i cant wait, but i'm an excitable guy ! See ya there ...

damn...i will be stuck in Bandera that weekend for our annual Oilmans Hill Country Ride...would have loved to catch the race. Hoping next year pans out better. Have fun!

OK Folks , Its On ! My excitement overrides the small bumps that have come and gone and will come again, but the bike is almost packed, fluids flushed, new shoes, i is ready to the max. My seat is in Turn 15-14, Row 23, seat 9, and i'll have a jean jacket with all the Nasa Apollo missions on back and Navy and USA flag on sleeves. If you see me in the parking lot, please pick me up and put me back on my bike....thanks.

Blessed but a little gassy,

Bobby

....and you get in free...its good to know my Karma is balancing out JM...if i have a cardiac "event" maybe i could get a jump in the paddock....you know, bein' family and all....is your gig all 3 days ? i cant wait, but i'm an excitable guy ! See ya there ...
Just saw this; I don't get on the board very often, and the notification function hasn't worked for me since the new version was created. I was out there Saturday and Sunday, and although there was at least one heart attack, I see from the other threads that it wasn't you. There was also an incident of a gal going into labor, but I trust that wasn't you either!

I'm a member of the ZX6R forum, and there's a thread over there with a guy who rode from Connecticut to Austin for MotoGP and back on his Ninja. I applauded his resolve though stating for the record that I'd never make it (nearly 4000 mile round trip). The story was going good and lots of posts on the way there, but by yesterday he still hadn't got home yet - bike and rider were in one piece, but you could tell from the posts that he was spent. To go with my advancing years I'm at least wise enough to know that 4k miles on a little hyper-sports bike isn't likely to be a long comfortable trip. Its no wonder there's an FJR in the driveway....

Ha! I did a 1400 mile round trip with two days in between hanging out at Barber, on my Suzuki TLR. After that trip I swore that was my LAST LD trip on a sportbike. I traded it for a track bike GSX-R600 that I could ride for 20 minutes at a time and then take 40 minute breaks.
biggrin.png

I'm bumping this thread for selfish reasons.

My dad, brother, and I are meeting at the Circuit of the Americas track for the Sept 20 American Lemans Series race. I've never been to this track and I'm wondering if I should purchase Grandstand seats or General Admission Seats? I'm most interested in sitting where we can see passing. I'm assuming that if we get G/A seats, then we can move around several spots on the track to get different views. OTOH, Grandstand seats are shaded with full view of the pits (not exactly my cup of tea).

So for our friends that went earlier this year, what do you suggest?

Called the track and determined that Reserved Seating ticket holders can move around within the General Admission areas at will, but not the other way around. That makes the decision easy.

Should be a good race.

I can vouch for that, they check tickets at the entrances to any stands but the open areas are really good. This might be different with more people as is expected. I'd say anything in turn 15 and the back chicanes and turns 6-9...umbrellas are permitted for shade too and might well be needed as Sept is hotter than hell here generally speaking. The front straight wouldnt be too bad cuz of that climb, really great place and its expensive for a nascar type, or beamer drivers, but the amenities are nice and bubba usually keeps his foam to hisself...and i is a coon ass by birth from Alec. by the way, and we do love a good noise !

Blessings,

Bobby