Automatic Luggage Interior Lighting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

Reaction score
I frequently find myself riding along dark unlit roads and highways. Sometimes I need to stop and get something out of the luggage -- rain gear, heated vest, gloves etc. -- which means either looking for an intersection with a street lamp or holding a flashlight between my teeth.

Yesterday I was in the RV section of Crappy Tire and came across a possible solution. Billed as a "hinge light" they are actually designed to fit on a cupboard door euro hinge. Battery operated with an integral pin switch to turn them off when the lid is closed, they came in a pack of 4 and install with either screws or 3M tape, both included. I chose the tape.

01_overview.jpg

03_front.jpg

The top of the lid near the latches was my chosen location for the panniers -- aligning nicely with the case interior to depress the pin switch. I verified the pin switch function by putting my cell phone camera on self-timer and closing the lid. The light went out.

05_pannier1.jpg

06_pannier2.jpg

07_pannier3.jpg

I fitted a third to my Givi trunk. That took a bit more trial and error. There was no place that really worked in the lid itself, which would have been my preference. However, it does work at the top of the trunk body, with the caveat that I have the Givi brake light kit installed and the light is mounted to the added plastic wire housing that comes with that kit. The pin switch is depressed by the lip of the lid.

08_givi1.jpg

09_givi2.jpg

Time will tell if they stand up to motorcycle use and vibration. I may find them lying in the bottom of the case with a dead battery after a few miles of vibration. But they were cheap (CDN$16.00) and easy enough to be worth a try. Here's the package in case you want to try this at home:

10_package.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Awesome idea that I will be trying. I would wire them into the bike, but I'll want to take the luggage off every once in a while and rip around. This seems like quite a good middle ground.

Maybe I could put a USB power bank in it and be able to charge stuff and have a light? Hmmm...ideas

Odd. Your link is clearly to amazon.com, but it opened amazon.ca for me. I don't know what results you get, but I see a number of offers for essentially the same thing at much less per unit than I paid -- except most of them don't come with batteries and none of them (that I saw) come with the plain flat back and 3M tape, just the slotted back moulded to go around a euro hinge. It could be sanded flat though, Batteries and tape can be purchased as necessary.