Auxiliary Lighting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I need to narrow down to a matching pair of Clearwater lights, for mirror mounting, and figure out power and switching after. I believe it is possible, if you don't wire them into your high beams, to power and switch lights without tapping into the factory harness (just going straight to the battery). What I'm reading is that it makes them less easy to use/control, and may make it easier to leave the lights on inadvertently. I like sacramentomike's setup. Do I need to exhale and just follow the instructions that come with the lights?.....

A couple of additional thoughts on the subject...

My lights get their power directly from the battery. I have a relay so that the power does not have to go through the switch. I have the relay wired to the same switched power source (rear running light) as my Fuzeblock so that the lights cannot be on without the ignition being on so that I don't inadvertently leave 'em on and run down my battery.

A while back, raYzerman bought himself a left-side handlebar assembly from, IIRC, a Concours, that had a flash-to-pass momentary switch, with the intention of using that momentary switch to trigger an aux light circuit. With the addition of a programmable controller (Skene, I believe), that would be a slick solution, but I don't think the fancy-schmancy Gen III's would be able to have that left-side assembly changed due to all the additional stuff the Gen III's have on that left-side assembly.

In the same boat on deciding on lights. Just say screw it and drop the big bucks or...
Wanted to like the LR4's, mine and several others leaked. One LED burnt out.

Not one call answered, or email returned?
Same here.

One of my LR4's was always full of condensation behind the lens. Eventually it stopped working altogether.

Cosmetically, both light housings lost the original satin black finish.

Tried contacting the vendor, ledrider to no avail. Would not respond despite multiple attempts to get in touch with him.

So took them off my bike, and decided to go with a quality product (Clearwater) with known customer service.

Ill have to figure it out. I ordered a set of Clearwaters. Now I just need to decide who is installing them. I ride a lot in the dark. And its not too bad in the morning. But on a long day, its the post-dusk, not the pre-dawn, that really makes me feel lights are prudent. Plus, all the cool kids have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been riding in the pitch dark for a while now to work. I changed my hours and now start at 5:00 AM in the morning. I leave the house at 4:30AM. Without some decent lights I wouldn't do it. I changed my ours in order to cut down on traffic. Very minimal on the way in and I miss all the school busses on the way home provided I leave on time. Life is much better not having to deal with 4 wheel idiots.

Good luck,

Dave