AZ Hwy 89 Pavement Buckle - South of Page, AZ Closed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is interested, they opened up a new detour around this area Labor Day weekend. They paved one of the dirt roads on the reservation and this makes for a much shorter and more pleasant detour. It's going to be this way for a while since repairs to US89 are projected to take up to 3 years. At that time they will turn the paved detour back over to the Navajo Res. I don't think any of the mapping programs show this new detour yet.

That is good information. I was forced to take the long northerly route around through Utah to reach the North Rim from Page. I don't know if I will ever have another ride through that area.

The new detour is Reservation RT 20.

It has been paved. I haven't ridden it yet but looks to be a much shorter alternative.

The new detour is AZ 89T, the 'T' being for 'Temporary' though it will be there for quite a while. Google maps shows the designation. As far as I know, travel is still limited to daylight hours only and a speed limit of 25mph. Those restrictions will be in place until they finish installing right-of-way fencing to keep all the rez animals off the roadway.

Just a quick check on Highway 89 in AZ. I am planning to go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff this Summer. Do not plan to go to Page.

Any problems with this plan?

Longrider

thanks for the heads up Old Michael,

We had made reservations for the N. rim the week after Labor Day and am glad there is a by-pass road for access now.

Upon further checking, Hwy 89A is open. The road closure is a few miles on Hwy 89, after the turnoff for Hwy 89A going north.