Back of the dragon questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
250 is on my list of roads. It would be pretty easy to tie in with a south east Ohio trip. Have never been on 33 east of Elkins yet. I have to agree with you on 39 and that's a good way for you to get over this way.Have you ever been on WV Route 3? It's got some good sections from Hinton to Beckley and then west towards Hamlin WV.
OK, now you have confused me again. Are you doing this intentionally? Being that you LIVE in the SEO area how are 250 and 33 roads that tie into a SEO trip?? All the roads and areas you mentioned are exceptional riding. I could give a great route to take that ties in some enjoyable back roads from your area to 33 through Seneca Rocks then north on 28 to Smoke Hole Road south on 220 to Franklin and then back on 33 to Seneca Rocks. Nice little loop.
I was thinking of my end of 250. Usually I mix 26 north of Marietta to 800 south. Then north on WV 2 to Route 7 to 250.

Sorry about the confusion.
You should also checkout 89 (Proctor Creek Rd) from 2 to 250.

MMm VA16.. my all time favourite twisty road. Run it and continue on 16 down to 58 over to Damascus. You'll thank me later.

I shudder they named it and gave it a website though. Buncha money grubbing dumbasses!

MMm VA16.. my all time favourite twisty road. Run it and continue on 16 down to 58 over to Damascus. You'll thank me later.
I shudder they named it and gave it a website though. Buncha money grubbing dumbasses!
Bungie approved, I like that!

It's on my bucket list in 2 weeks

So are you going to let Jim (spklbuk) show you around WV? I had a great time following him around, last weekend...but I always have a great time following him around WV.

Last edited by a moderator:

So are you going to let Jim (spklbuk) show you around WV? I had a great time following him around, last weekend...but I always have a great time following him around WV.
Yes, we hope to make contact Monday or Tuesday

Shit, there go the peg feelers on the Hippo. I'll be missing my 990 a lot when I get there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, we hope to make contact Monday or Tuesday

Most guys get excited when they see the 25mph caution signs. That road has some 10mph signs
punk.gif

I slabbed it down 77 to Beckley. Jumped onto 16 there and worked my way through WV into Va. Time was short after getting to Marion so I slabbed it back up 81 and 77.

A lot of the coal trucks have been parked as coal is really slowing down which eased traffic.

Stopping for gas in War WV was one of my more interesting stops in a while. Two drunk fellers outside the store kept asking if I could ride that darn thing while drinking. Asked them if the store had a restroom to which they said no them pricks won't let you use it. When I came out after successfully getting permission to use the restroom the drunks yelled out Did Ya Find Somewheres Ta Piss? Makes me proud to be from WV.

This area deserves more than the quick visit that I had. Now I am starting to think about farther south towards the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Thanks for the update. I was just going to as what else you found to ride. Weather permitting I'm going for a ride on the Back on Sunday. Charted what I hope are some interesting roads to get there and will either slab or BYP back north, depending on how I feel.

It might be out of your way, but Route 250 from WV through Va is a great ride, especially if you can do it off-weekend. I also like Route 39. Did it as a loop, 250 out and 39 back. Was a long but fun day. I hear good things about 33 as well, which might make my list this season. Going to do the end of the BYP and Skyline drive on the 27th as it is a free entry day to the national parks.

I thought that the part of the BYP north of Roanoke was one of the most fun and scenic parts, along with the southern end, while most of the middle, especially around Asheville was crowded and plain. I did notice some good roads when I was in SC, like 276 towards Ceasars head. Also some fun roads right over the boarder into NC and around Hanging Rock state park.

So many roads and so little time. Enjoy.
What is the BYP? The BRP? Agree with you on the opposite ends of the BRP. Best parts, although there are still some worthy sections in between. Shame they restrict you to 45 MPH!
Sorry. Typing on the iPad I sometime hit the wrong letters. Yep, I meant the Blue Ridge Parkway.

That really looks good on the map, but it is the wrong direction from home at the end of the ride, but it will give me an excuse to head back that way for another ride.

Not exactly sure of the days yet but I am planning on getting back through there the last week of this month.

There have been some discussions with the spousal unit about how both of us are getting to Tn. She won't ride that far and the FJR does not have enough storage for all the outlet mall loot she plans to obtain.

250 is on my list of roads. It would be pretty easy to tie in with a south east Ohio trip. Have never been on 33 east of Elkins yet. I have to agree with you on 39 and that's a good way for you to get over this way.Have you ever been on WV Route 3? It's got some good sections from Hinton to Beckley and then west towards Hamlin WV.
OK, now you have confused me again. Are you doing this intentionally? Being that you LIVE in the SEO area how are 250 and 33 roads that tie into a SEO trip?? All the roads and areas you mentioned are exceptional riding. I could give a great route to take that ties in some enjoyable back roads from your area to 33 through Seneca Rocks then north on 28 to Smoke Hole Road south on 220 to Franklin and then back on 33 to Seneca Rocks. Nice little loop.
I was thinking of my end of 250. Usually I mix 26 north of Marietta to 800 south. Then north on WV 2 to Route 7 to 250.

Sorry about the confusion.
Did they ever pave 250 between Moundsville and Hundred?Some parts of it were in very bad shape last year.

7 and 20 are rough in spots. I have not been on 250 this summer but it was rugged last year.

WV had a tight budget year resulting in lots of spot patching. The roads are catching a lot of abuse from the Marcellus crowd.

Not exactly sure of the days yet but I am planning on getting back through there the last week of this month.
There have been some discussions with the spousal unit about how both of us are getting to Tn. She won't ride that far and the FJR does not have enough storage for all the outlet mall loot she plans to obtain.
UPS, FED EX, USPS will ship all of her purchases home for you.

Just don't stop and she can't shop. One more reason why my wife won't do LD riding.

Just got back from a 400 mile ride to do the Back of the Dragon. Thought it was fun but very tight in a bunch of places. Enjoyed the route that I took there as much, if not more.

Latest posts