Bad Idle and won't stay on (but turn on...)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mihalis this summer I will come in greece drink some beers with suwlakis talk about motorcyclesthank u
If you go to Greece, look for the beers, but watch out for the bears.Click on image for larger view

ATTENTION DANGER

REDUCE SPEED

BEAR'S HABITAT

Mihalis this summer I will come in greece drink some beers with suwlakis talk about motorcyclesthank u
Welcome!I would be very glad to meet you,drinking many beers or and Ouzo discussing about motorcycles..
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not convinced that using higher octane fuel than specified has any benefit at all except to the oil companies, and indeed it could make things worse.

Gasoline is gasoline. It isn't the gas that decides the octane, it is additives. Higher octane gas has more of them, and less actual gas per gallon. It produces less energy per gallon as a result.

What is often helpful is making an engine work hard and get hot. Nothing like a three figure blast down a highway for clearing out crap that can accumulate through lots of cold starts and short journeys.

"Ride it like you stole it" isn't a bad idea from time to time. The engine can safely run right up to, and probably some distance beyond the red line without suffering any harm at all, and the heat helps clear all sorts of unhelpful deposits.

Just don't get caught :) Redlining an FJR in almost any gear is illegal in most countries ... well on the road anyway.

If you go to Greece, look for the beers, but watch out for the bears.Click on image for larger view

ATTENTION DANGER

REDUCE SPEED

BEAR'S HABITAT
Yes,there was some places in the north Greece in the ''Egnatia highway'' where the stupid contractor of this road had left those places without fence.Before this road,there are mountains and the bears have their homes there.The result was,when they were trying to cross the road without any fence,they caused many accidents.Many bears killed and many drivers had serious injuries.But until now they have install fence in the most dangerous places there..

I'm not convinced that using higher octane fuel than specified has any benefit at all except to the oil companies, and indeed it could make things worse.
Gasoline is gasoline. It isn't the gas that decides the octane, it is additives. Higher octane gas has more of them, and less actual gas per gallon. It produces less energy per gallon as a result.

What is often helpful is making an engine work hard and get hot. Nothing like a three figure blast down a highway for clearing out crap that can accumulate through lots of cold starts and short journeys.

"Ride it like you stole it" isn't a bad idea from time to time. The engine can safely run right up to, and probably some distance beyond the red line without suffering any harm at all, and the heat helps clear all sorts of unhelpful deposits.

Just don't get caught
smile.png
Redlining an FJR in almost any gear is illegal in most countries ... well on the road anyway.
In Greece, and in Italy assume,you can find only 95 and 100 octanes fuel.I tried many times with 100 octanes,the bike runs more strong and it is very noticeable,but it is very expensive fuel.The 95 octanes fuel the last years in Greece and in the most European countries costs $1.80 per liter,yes per liter!Not for a gallon..The 100 octanes fuel costs $2.20 per liter!!!

Also agree 100%! :
smile.png

Nothing like a three figure blast down a highway for clearing out crap that can accumulate through lots of cold starts and short journeys.

I can't ride on street it because it's not insured...and like twigg say i cannot reach high temperature of combustion (to clean the sparks) without have it on street..

next week i put insurance ON and GOOO

Mihalis how much does cost have insurance on a bike in Greece per year

Here in Italy 400 EUR

It is true that there are differences and there MAY be more/different additives in Premium vs Regular fuel. There is, however, very little difference in energy content. There is FAR more difference in energy content between "summer" and "winter" blends sold in cooler climates than between regular and premium. Octane is simply a measurement of the resistance to knocking. This can be accomplished by the use of certain additives (tetraethyl lead used to be used for this purpose - not any more for normal fuels) or by taking a slightly different "cut" or blend of "cuts" during the refining process.

In my part of the world, the regular fuel contains 10% ethanol and the premium from most producers doesn't contain any ethanol. Because of this, the premium does, in fact, have a little higher BTU/gallon although the slightly higher mileage probably doesn't offset the additional cost.

Here in Italy 400 EUR
lele,the cost is 200 EUR per year by ''Interamerican'' includes roadside assistance..

In Greece premium fuel contain OUZO
Ahahaha,not for sure..!
smile.png
When you come,we will drink loooooot of ouzo with octopus,fresh fried potatoes and Greek salad..!
smile.png
Αlso,i would like to do a journey in beautiful Italy,but my economy is not very good last...Assume that you know that we have problem yet with the economy here......

It is true that there are differences and there MAY be more/different additives in Premium vs Regular fuel. There is, however, very little difference in energy content. There is FAR more difference in energy content between "summer" and "winter" blends sold in cooler climates than between regular and premium. Octane is simply a measurement of the resistance to knocking. This can be accomplished by the use of certain additives (tetraethyl lead used to be used for this purpose - not any more for normal fuels) or by taking a slightly different "cut" or blend of "cuts" during the refining process.

In my part of the world, the regular fuel contains 10% ethanol and the premium from most producers doesn't contain any ethanol. Because of this, the premium does, in fact, have a little higher BTU/gallon although the slightly higher mileage probably doesn't offset the additional cost.
Ross, i am pretty sure that with the 100 octanes Ultimate BP fuel the fjr runs much stronger!Tried it with a help of my friend and a timer.At about half a mile the difference was about 1+ second compared with the 95 octanes BP fuel.We did it four times!Not a huge difference,but a difference..!You can feel the difference in the power when you open the throttle with the 100 octanes fuel!

Here in Italy 400 EUR
lele,the cost is 200 EUR per year by ''Interamerican'' includes roadside assistance..

In Greece premium fuel contain OUZO
Ahahaha,not for sure..!
smile.png
When you come,we will drink loooooot of ouzo with octopus,fresh fried potatoes and Greek salad..!
smile.png
Αlso,i would like to do a journey in beautiful Italy,but my economy is not very good last...Assume that you know that we have problem yet with the economy here......
I know It, news talk about it every day, I hope politician
bad.gif
bad.gif
bad.gif
bad.gif
bad.gif
got the solution

anyway if i come to greece I will sure come to meet u
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

This isn't necessarily true. Gasoline is a devil's brew of many hydrocarbon compounds and depending on the oil it is refined from or how or how much of it is synthesized may not be all the same. Octane rating says how much compression it can stand but does not mean it is more or less energy dense. It depends on the energy density of the compounds used to raise the octane. They burn too and if they have higher energy density, they will raise the energy density of the mix. From what I read, for practical purposes premium gas and regular have about the same energy content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts