Balkan Tour report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrik166

Reaction score
Now it’s been 3 weeks since we came home after our 3639km Balkan tour.

I’ve been through 2509 pictures and 9½ hours of video and I’ve made my first ‘lame ass video’

My girlfriend and I live in Denmark. We spend the last 4 summer vacations cruising around the country, she rides a Suzuki GSX 600 F and I use to ride a Yamaha FJ from ’88, but this spring I finely got a FJR, so we decided that it was time for a trip outside the country.

We left her bike at home and packed my ‘new’ baby and set of on a 13 days ride

001.jpg

Sunday 24/7 we drove 392km to Hamburg, Germany, there we bordered the auto train, during the evening/night it took us the 1100km to Villach, Austria.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Here our road trip started in 27 *f, we went east through Slovenia and into Croatia to Slavonski Brod, then south into Bosnia Herzegovina to Doboj, our first real stop and the main reason for our trip, I was a NATO soldier in Doboj in 2002 and ever since, I wanted to go back and show my girlfriend the country.

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

After a few days we continued south to Sarajevo, with a short stop in Travenik.

In Sarajevo we went down Sniper Alley, and visited Camp Butmir.

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

We stayed one night before going through the beautiful country to Mostar and from there to the Croatian coast:

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Here we continued south east to Dubrovnik, where I spend a few RR during my time stationed in Doboj, it’s a beautiful old city but also very expensive.

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

From here we followed the coast, north east to Vodice, few km north of Split, we rented a room for 3 days.

018.jpg

019.jpg

We decided to take a one day trip to Split, it was raining a little on our way to Split, but nothing heavy, but during the morning it just got worse ending in hail!! I never seen anything like this, in half an hours the streets turned into rivers, we found a shopping center and went inside for a hour, when we came out again, the sun was shinning from a blue sky and it was 30 *f.

020.jpg

After Vodice we went north to Perućko Jezero to see the waterfalls, but when we arrived it was raining and it was 10 *f, so we drove west through Slovenia to Trieste, Italy.

We found a hotel in San Giorgio di Nogaro and stayed there a few days.

021.jpg

While staying in San Giorgio di Nogaro, we made a one day trip to Venice.

Like we didn't get enough water in the streets in Split!!!

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

Then it was time to go home, we took the direct road, through the mountains to Bolzano, Italy, it was very strange to drive through a area with ski resorts and snow on the hill sides, but on the other hand, we where in 1928 meters above the see.

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

In Bolzano, we loaded the FJR on the train again, and went to sleep, when we woke up Friday morning, we where in Germany, close to Hamburg, and after 392km we where home again, after a fantastic trip, with out any problems, the bike did a wonderful job and we enjoyed every minute… maybe not the hail! :)

030.jpg

Now I hope you’ll enjoy the video and feel free to comment.

The pictures are taken with a Canon EOS 500D or a Canon powershot S10

I used a Gopro Hero Action cam to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMPFCqO3k-M

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...very nice Henrik!

Thanks for sharing! :clapping:

Looks like it was an awesome trip..even though the hail was not fun...it did give you something to remember. :)

Awesome ride report! Nice to see the pictures of that area of Europe. Looks like an outstanding trip.

(Your video has been blocked over here so I can't view it)

I'm glad you guys like it, but I wonder why the video got blocked!!! :angry2:

Can it be because I didn't ask Phil about promision before using 'Land of Confusion' with Genesis as the soundtrack?? :glare:

I'll find something else, since I think a FJR video needs a soundtrack, there ain't much sound on my standard pips :huh:

Can it be because I didn't ask Phil about promision before using 'Land of Confusion' with Genesis as the soundtrack?? :glare:

I'll find something else, since I think a FJR video needs a soundtrack, there ain't much sound on my standard pips :huh:
The message I got is the following...

"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it from your country on copyright grounds."

That's why I prefer Vimeo because you can use whatever music you want......unlike YouTube.

Thanks Henrik, great report. We may be doing something similar next Spring

Auto Train. What a concept, wish we had them over here. I used them a lot over on your side of the Pond

Fantastic photos, thanks so much for sharing! I've been all over that region many times in the seventies and eighties for vacations (including a sailboat trip down the coast discovering all the islands between Zadar-Split-Dubrovnik), when all these sovereign countries where still called Yugoslavia and everything seemed just serene and peaceful. It broke my heart to see all the horrible war scenes in the nineties. Since then always wanted to go back, but somehow never quite got around to it.

Thanks again.

Great RR Henrik + awesome photo's. :clapping: Thanks for sharing. Pity about the vid being blocked.

The train .... cool way to move you and the FJR around if needed .. I like it !

Thanks for all the positive feedback, it was such a great trip, it wasn't easy to select only 20 pictures to show you, I could post 100 but I don't want to bore you with that :)

I tried to moved the video to Vimeo (thanks to GeorgiaRoller) but the file are to big :( so now I'll find some FREE music and change it!!! Then I hope you'll be able to see it.

Thanks Henrik, great report. We may be doing something similar next Spring

Auto Train. What a concept, wish we had them over here. I used them a lot over on your side of the Pond
We used the north-south auto train on two motorcycle trips. Our train rides were from Lorrach (on border of Switzerland near Basel) to Hamburg. It saves many hours (days?) of Autobahn. It would leave about 9pm and arrive just after serving a roll and coffee the next morning. The bargain berths aren't too bad (5 or 6 in a cabin, so you get to know a few strangers also). And it does save cost, compared to fuel and overnight costs when driving the the length of Germany.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, it was such a great trip, it wasn't easy to select only 20 pictures to show you, I could post 100 but I don't want to bore you with that :)
Well, you could just link to your photobucket account or whatever if you don't want to post them.

Some of us are thinking of riding in Europe someday...if $ allow.

Well, you could just link to your photobucket account or whatever if you don't want to post them.

Some of us are thinking of riding in Europe someday...if $ allow.
Yeh, what the Wheaton said is gud idea!

Man, you have made me soooo envious! My ethnicity includes Serbo/Croat. My dad was born on the island of Brac', off the coast near Split. Never been to Croatia. Tried to go once, but it was in 92 = No Way! I had to content myself that year with a stay in Tuscany and I could almost see the Croatian Coast from Rimini...Sigh :dribble: ! At that time you guys were working hard to try to end the bloodshed. Thanks for that. :drinks:

I am sending your URL of this trip to my family, I'm sure they will enjoy it also. It would be a dream to see my father's homeland from the seat of an FJR 1300. :dribble:

My other handle besides Khunajawdge is = Sir BoCroat :D

Now I changed the music on the lame ass video, so I hope it won't be blocked <_<

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTzkVp8TEc4

Nice music and it's free :dribble:

If any of you are serious about coming to Europe one day, feel free to write me a line, I'll be happy to help in any way I can :)

(routes, hotel's, camping, prices and so on)

Now I changed the music on the lame ass video, so I hope it won't be blocked <_<

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTzkVp8TEc4

Nice music and it's free :dribble:

If any of you are serious about coming to Europe one day, feel free to write me a line, I'll be happy to help in any way I can :)

(routes, hotel's, camping, prices and so on)
Once again, thank you for this excellent Ride Report; I have gone back to it many times, I'm also going to take you up on your kind offer of help!

On 1/1/12 I am going to post up an FJR Forum Group Ride to Europe for 2013; I figure this trip to be between $4K to $6K so folks will have to budget ahead of time.

I know the Alps and Dolomites extremely well, I lived in Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany for two full years and I have ridden these areas often.

Where I have no riding knowledge is France, except riding from Germany to London and Germany to Madrid; done it many times, but at high speed.

If you draw a line between Aletschorn, Matterhorn and Lago Maggiore: Everything Southwest of that line is "No Man's Land" to Chuy; never ridden there.

Dear Friend Henrik166, if you know anything about my routings in France: Any motorcyclist information you can give would be sincerely appreciated!

European Alps Tour June 22 to July 7, 2013; Two Options.

August 22, 2011

June 22, 2013–Saturday: Fly from North America to Frankfurt.

6/23-Sunday: Arrive in Frankfurt, train to Heidelberg (Kircheim) and spend the night at Knopf Motorradriesen Bed and Breakfast. https://www.knopftours.com

6/24-Monday: Rent our motos from Stefan Knopf; Autobahn - WFO to Salzburg, Austria

6/25-Tuesday: Bolzano, Italia. Bagging Grossglockner on the way South.

6/26-Wednesday: Bolzano,IT spend the day bagging passes within 200 klicks.

6/27-Thursday: https://www.zuoz.org/english/ Pick up Passo di Stelvio and Others.

6/28-Friday: Andermatt, Switzerland. Bagging the high passes all day long.

6/29-Saturday: Andermatt; 1-week option folks hit the high speed Autobahn back to Heidelberg; 2-week option riders will spend the day bagging more Swiss passes.

June 30, 2013-Sunday: 1-weekers are taken to Der Flughafen by Stefan in his van, for early departures back to North America. Two week folks ride to Martigny, France.

July 1-Monday: Valloire, FR.

7/2-Tuesday: Embrun, FR.

7/3-Wednesday: Embrun, FR.

7/4-Thursday: Albertville, FR.

7/5-Friday: Zurich, Schweizland. Papa Chuy loves Zurich. Schnitzel, strudel und Biere!

7/6-Saturday: Wide Fecking Open run back to Kircheim; night at Stefan's Lodgings.

7/7-Sunday: Stefan Knopf runs us to up to Frankfurt Airport; fly to North America.

Hi beemerdons

I'm no expert on France but I'll see what I can do :)

Will it be a all American tour or do you take Danes as well? :huh:

Latest posts