Battery Powered Digital TV

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I don't know about the TV but did you come through all right? We are about 45 minutes from you, headed to B.R. We never lost power although pretty much everyone else in the are did. Just a little mess to clean up in the yard. My parents are 20 minutes from me and still don't have power.

Sorry for Hijacking the thread, I should have thought about you sooner.

Andrew

I hope the mess doesn't last too long for you Mike. I didn't lose power but my internetz was down for three days. It sucked to have go to a friends house to do all my business. I'm rooting for you! :clapping:

Where are you going to find room to mount that on your Feej?
:rofl:
LOL that was my first thought when I saw the title!

I live in a hurricane prone area and have been without power more than once. Sometime in the past we bought this for emergency news/entertainment when the power went out:

EmergencyTV.jpg

It runs off 12V - which took me awhile to figure out, but after that I brought in a big car battery and that would run it for, well, not sure, but for several days until I had power again.

We now have a good generator as we had to go through a 1 week period back in '04 and I determined "never again". Point is I can power my regular TVs, refrigerator, fans, well pump (but not the water heater) and a small room AC. As you can see from the dust on this thing, it hasn't been used in a --- long --- time!

I said all that to say this: get something you think could serve doubleduty. That way it doesn't languish in a dark closet somewhere and yrs later you have something covered in dust like I do. Plus, as handy as I am with farkles, I just can't figure out a way to mount this on my feej!!

Shoot, I'll give you this bitchin' am/fm/cassette/b&w TV entertainment setup!!!

assume no power except a bag of D cells and maybe a 12v fully charged car portable jumper box or 1 charged motorcycle battery

no generator, no gasoline

no wifi, no internet, no cable TV

and that tube TV is old old old analog unit that doesn't work with the current digital airways

so looking for REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE recommendations...amazon reviews are all over the map

lil TV with decent antenna that can be watched on the move (running away from storms)

thanx

Mike

I know you said "assume no power except a bag of D cells", but you also said "can be watched on the move while running away from storms". Can we assume this is inside an automobile? If you are leaving New Orleans in your vehicle instead of on your bike, we have the vehicle's electrical system to tap into. That opens up more possibilities. There are even rectifiers to convert the 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC. I know that there are lots of TV's installed in vehicles, often more than one. Get behind an SUV at night in your area and you will see the kids each have their own, mounted in the back of the front seats. Sometimes it is one centrally mounted to the ceiling. I am certain that with all the electronics mounted to your bike none of that would present an installation obstacle for you.

If you are not using the automobile, obviously I just wasted lots of space. Hopefully not.

Andrew

and that tube TV is old old old analog unit that doesn't work with the current digital airways

so looking for REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE recommendations...amazon reviews are all over the map
I take your point, but the old old tube tv will work if you took advantage of the digital/analog converters when the gov't was handing out vouchers/discount cards back when the change was made. I'm sure they are still available albeit at higher costs than the ? I think $15 or $25; mine is still in the box up on the shelf - next to the old emergency tube TV!

But, yes, my post was "tongue in cheek" as they say; my point was to not get something that is only used for storms - that it can do doubleduty - maybe on trips in the cage - dunno - or else you'll end up with an old dust covered relic that you can't give away!

When it comes to real world experience, some folks in my area would argue we've had some of that as I know folks in your area have too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you said "assume no power except a bag of D cells", but you also said "can be watched on the move while running away from storms". Can we assume this is inside an automobile? If you are leaving New Orleans in your vehicle instead of on your bike, we have the vehicle's electrical system to tap into. That opens up more possibilities. There are even rectifiers to convert the 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC. I know that there are lots of TV's installed in vehicles, often more than one. Get behind an SUV at night in your area and you will see the kids each have their own, mounted in the back of the front seats. Sometimes it is one centrally mounted to the ceiling. I am certain that with all the electronics mounted to your bike none of that would present an installation obstacle for you.

If you are not using the automobile, obviously I just wasted lots of space. Hopefully not.

Andrew
hunkered down with tropical storm winds or less in one's own powerless house with non existent generator unfortunately unaffordable

Andrew
hunkered down with tropical storm winds or less in one's own powerless house with non existent generator unfortunately unaffordable
Although I passionately hate pawn shops, now is an excellent time to shop for a generator. Lots of folks all over our area bought generators ahead of this storm because the memories of Gustav and Katrina were still fresh in their minds. Nobody wanted to go through that again and generators were selling like fake tattoos at a Harley Rally. Since they got no or very little use for this storm, many of those folks will be selling them to recoup some of that money. I bought mine used after Gustav and got an excellent deal. Once the storm is over, the generator takes up space, they don't need it but every few years, it's in the way, whatever.

My parents were without power so long for Gustav that Dad used all of the 60 gallons of gas from his boat for the generator. Almost two weeks they were without electricity for both storms. This time was only about 3 days but his generator failed the first day and I had to bring mine over. I should have charged him a rental fee. :p