BBG and SS2000 attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndv21

Reaction score
For the longest time, I've been wanting to complete a BBG to go along with my SS1K rides. This weekend presents the perfect opportunity since my wife and kids are out of town visiting my in-laws.

I am calling this the "Texas Love Hug" since I will be crossing the entire state and my turn around points are the two Love's gas stations closest to the NM and AR borders.

Plan is to leave San Antonio around 8PM this friday 7/7/17 evening and head west on IH-10 towards El Paso, turn around and head east on IH-20 towards Texarcana, and finally turning around and headed back to the Dallas area where I should be completing about 1520 miles according to google and mapping software. I'll spend the night at my sister's house and make my return trip to San Antonio via San Angelo in order to ride another 494 miles and turn it into a SS2000 ride before 8pm Sunday night. Hopefully it all goes as planned. SPOT link and routes are below

SPOT: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=152cf595c69a38e80e&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

BBG route: https://goo.gl/maps/3PWM6Szd98s

SS2000 return route: https://goo.gl/maps/b6AkDZy59S32

Sounds like a good ride. We did the Dallas/El Paso/Houston and back to Dallas Loop last September. My partner didn't like me doing more than the speed limit of 80 on I10 west of San Antonio because of all the forest rats that come out at night out that way. Stay hydrated. Good luck on your ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a great ride!

Watch your receipts, sometimes Loves will just have the store # instead of city and state. Usually the duplicate from the inside register will be more complete. Thanks for sharing!

Echoing 101stpathfinder ... Love's doesn't always have the full address printed on the receipt.

The IBA will NOT accept "Love's #428, Kerrville, TX" as appropriate documentation. Even if it's the only Love's for 50 miles, and your Spotwalla track clearly shows you were there for 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I know this all too well.

Check your receipt before you leave! If necessary, take $20 out of the Love's ATM, or go to a nearby convenience store to get a receipt with an IBA-acceptable address.

I try to stop at Loves, if at all possible when on an IBA ride and have never had an issue with them not accepting a receipt that I wrote the name of the town on. Maybe I have been lucky.

Good luck with the ride!!

Thank you all for the well wishes and the information. I pulled out an old receipt from the Loves at texarcana and it does contain the address and phone number. I also called the Love's in Anthony, Tx and asked about their receipts. They have assured me that they do include the address and the phone number. Regardless, I will certainly look over all receipts prior to departing.

Gonna spend this evening making sure I have all routes in order in the gps (2) and fresh batteries on the spot. Other odds and ends but should be good to go for tomorrow evening.

I'll be departing to my start point in about 30 minutes. Time to gear up and fill up my hydration system. See you all on the flip side!

Safely back home, which is always the main goal!

Successfully completed the BBG on Saturday. Total time from start to finish was 22 hours and 16 minutes and the total distance (according to GPS) was 1,517 miles

The SS2K was much easier since I only had to cover 500 miles in more than 24 hrs, so I took my time today. Total time for the SS2K from the original start time was 44 hours and 14 minutes. GPS mileage was 2032.

This is the first official IBA cert ride for the FJR. My other cert rides have been done on a concours and a V-strom. Riding the FJR on the BBG was a totally different experience. Much more comfortable and the bike performed flawlessly. Had the opportunity to enjoy a beautiful sunset headed out of the Texas hill country, a dark night illuminated by a bright moon, cool temperatures in the west Texas desert, a majestic sunrise, horrific DFW traffic, an incredible downpour in east Texas,and the beautiful piney woods. Ended the BBG with spending some quality time with my 1 yr old nephew. It was definitely a treat! On to the next quest...

Ndv21 posted: <snip> Riding the FJR on the BBG was a totally different experience. Much more comfortable and the bike performed flawlessly.
Yeah. FJRs tend to do that. Check results from the past three or four Iron Butt Rallies.

Congratulations! See you around ....