Because WE can Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
From Dean Tanji -

‎Dean Tanji‎ to Iron Butt Motorcycle Riders
56 mins · 
2019 17th Annual West Coast “Because We Can” ... RTE
SoCal’s LD Riders Last Ride Of the Year
Saturday, December 28, Old Town Orcutt, CA
It's hard to imagine why, butt, a third of LD riders live where it's frozen solid. Their motors have been "winterized" (a very scary word). It's a process akin to embalming where fluids are changed and the life force is removed and placed on a bench with a Battery Tender on it.

All these riders are just grumpier-then-hell and can be found hunched over their little computers 24/7, wrapped in a tattered blanket, wearing long-johns (with button rear flap), earmuffs, fingerless gloves and peckin' away. The "sit here, twist that" aggression is now directed solely at the little keyboard and what ever pops up on the screen. They're probably typing like they ride . . . some smooth and effortless . . . others herky-jerky, pecking all over the place. All the while they're mumbling, snortin', dozin’ off and sending each message off with a "smack" of the SEND NOW key yelling "Stuff this up yur candy ass “final drive” drivel ‘n smoke it." Then muttering "If I can't ride, nobody's gonna get the last word on me!" =:eek:

Another third can only get out on a rare good day. Some screw little metal studs into their tires, shoes, gloves and butt to maintain traction. And they ride till they can't take the pain any longer and they're always in danger of breaking off a very blue finger or black toe. Butt, just knowing they can still ride puts them into a moderately civil disposition. :^|
While the rest of us . . . well . . . out here in Southern California life is good. Ride every day or at least every weekend. :^) The electrics are packed away somewhere. And we might even put it on if it gets down to the low-60's! Burrrrr :^))

Because We Can Ride to Eat celebrates the end-of-the-calendar year west coast style. During our lunch, according to tradition, we’ll lift our glasses to celebrate our good fortune to be able to ride. Then we will honor our fellow LD riders, “Those that can’t (ride that is)”. And wish them a quick end to the “S” words (S-N-O-W, S-L-E-E-T), bike tire chains and ice of any color.

SoCal LD Rider's “Because We Can” Ride-To-Eat
Saturday, December 28, 2019
11:00 AM - 1:30 PM
The Far Western Tavern
300 Clark Ave, Orcutt, CA 93455
https://farwesterntavern.com/
GPS: N34 51.899, W120 26.670

This is a real, genuine “Santa Maria Style BBQ” steak house. The Far Western's claim to fame is their “Bull's Eye Steak” which is a prime cut rib eye steak. The 14 oz "Bull's Eye Steak" is ~$39 and the 8 oz Cowboy Sirloin is ~$26. Most luncheon items are in the $12-16 range.

This is not banquet food. Unlike many restaurants that require a prepaid guarantee and a limited group menu, we are ordering off a modified menu and each steak is prepared as ordered. Please bring a wad of cash in all faces (Jackson’s, Hamilton’s, Lincoln’s and Washington’s) to simplify payment
Please be aware that service may be a little slower under these conditions. However this give you all more time for tire kickin’ and general lying.

Reno and Northern California LD folks, this is half way between Orange County and the Bay Area! 225+ miles one-way! Not even a full tank for most of you guys. It's the perfect “last” ride-of-the-year ride.

RSVP: Dean at [email protected] for a head count. Please include: Your name, all names in your party and where you’ll be riding from.
i.e.: Joe Smith, Kalamazoo CA

You know, like every year I would really love to make this, but.....

I will be in San Diego Xmas eve and Xmas and then need to get home to work.  I'm not extending my San Diego trip by another 3 days just to do this.  And after riding out to SD and back and needing to make some dead presidents, I can't see making a separate trip.  But, you never know.....

Damn George, color me impressed. I’m in Roseville for a day or two, but can’t make it down. Ride safe.

Well, we had an un- intended curveball thrown at us today in Orcutt.  The fire alarm went off at the Far Western Tavern and the party had to move elsewhere which threw off some folks' timing.  I suspect the alarm went off when the CBA president took off his jacket which could have represented a toxic waste threat, but others were not convinced.

In any case, a great excuse to put on 500 miles just before New Year's Day, and I was stoked to sit next to Kurt Worden - yes, THAT Kurt Worden.  4 time IBA rally finisher on 250 and 300cc Kawasakis!  Very cool to chat with the legend :)     thanks Kurt for sharing wisdom with a forum jockey too chicken to take on the real rally...

Boyz have left the hood. Plans changed. G attempting Crescent city by tonight to avoid likely snow over Siskious. Staying on coast via 101.  

Rolled into Peardale around 4:30 with a bit of rain in Sacramento.

G texted me he made it to Eureka for the night. That'll shave 2 hours off tomorrow's ride