Best oil to stick with for new bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dump whatever is on sale in it. I used castroil synth bike oil for all my changes because amazon had it on sale. I changed to m1 4t this last one because oriellys had it on sale.

Been using the automotive mobil 1 15w 50 in all my bikes for over 20 years. Shifting is smooth and its only around$23 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart. Tried the rotella 5w 40 several times and always noticed notchy shifting.

Oil is like beer...they're all pretty much the same. The only difference is in your head.
Beer is all the same?

facepalm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heretic!!!

Changing at every 5k is easy to remember (20k, 25k, 30k, etc.), and how I do all of my (many) vehicles now as it's the only way to keep up with them!

Heretic!!!

Changing at every 5k is easy to remember (20k, 25k, 30k, etc.), and how I do all of my (many) vehicles now as it's the only way to keep up with them!
I have a terrible time making the 5's line up with trips, so I got this little book to tell me when I did the last one.

Page, after page, after page . . .
Technically correct, as this is at 3 pages.

But more accurately.: "Thread, after thread, ad infinitum..."

PS - I used 15W50 this morning.
bleh.gif

This is important, and that's why I'm here to post in this important thread.

The guys at D&H Cycle were adamant that Kawasaki 20-50 was the only suitable oil for the FJR, and we should use premium gas. I thought that was interesting because they sell more FJRs than any other dealer in the U.S.

TomInPA (who used to be TominCA) posted: This is important, and that's why I'm here to post in this important thread.
The guys at D&H Cycle were adamant that Kawasaki 20-50 was the only suitable oil for the FJR, and we should use premium gas. I thought that was interesting because they sell more FJRs than any other dealer in the U.S.
Were they funnin' you? Shining you on? Pulling your leg? Kawasaki oil in a Yamaha bike?! And to think, I've been running the cheapest regular gas I can find for the past 41,000 miles.

No wonder my stock seat was so uncomfortable.

This is important, and that's why I'm here to post in this important thread.
Maybe the reason they sell so many FJRs is to replace the FJRs they service?
jester.gif
haha.gif

Dyna beads?! I am going to give the counter act tempered glass beads a try in my next tire change.

I am another Rotella T6 user, I also use it in my 4 stroke lawn equipment. Other than that I recommend extra virgin olive oil.

On a note with oils, the base stock is a commodity item, there is really only a handful of true oil manufacturers, then most others buy their base stock from one of the manufactures and blend it, often with additives that are also manufactured by other companies. Amsoil is a blender, They buy their stock from someone else, blending with someone else's additives, then resell it to you. Last I checked Amsoil's base stock was manufactured by Exxon Mobile.