" big balls "

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
w

Maybe, it was Steel Balls ... The Bearing Co ... They have some kinda, funny name ... Anyhow ,going to be doing some frond end work .Should you replace head bearing at this time while it's all apart . , or is that something that you don't have to spend extra money on? 2007 with 25000 miles..or is the stock unit ok ?

My 07 has a 100,400 miles and still on the original bearings. Get the front end in the air and shake it and wiggle it, does if feel tight? Does it move freely? Dad always told me if it ain't broke don't fix it.....................
smilingsmiley.gif

All-Balls or I think a set may be available from Timken as well? (Tapered bearing sets)

Some people feel the need to change the stock bearings to tapered ones and others don't. Make sure they are torqued properly and if they don't feel like there is too much play or they are "notchy", I wouldn't bother. Yours are unlikely to be worn out unless they were never greased. I suppose they could be damaged if they were over-torqued at some point.

Mine are still OK at 185,000 miles.

All-Balls or I think a set may be available from Timken as well? (Tapered bearing sets)
Some people feel the need to change the stock bearings to tapered ones and others don't. Make sure they are torqued properly and if they don't feel like there is too much play or they are "notchy", I wouldn't bother. Yours are unlikely to be worn out unless they were never greased. I suppose they could be damaged if they were over-torqued at some point.

Mine are still OK at 185,000 miles.
According to Don Carver, Allballs are cheap chinese bearings and the Timken is the only way to go. jsns

Just did fork seals on my 05. Thought about changing out the steering head bearings, but it turns silky smooth, no looseness. Not gonna take it apart till I have to. 55K on mine.

Allballs may be chinese, but they are tapered and with appropriate lube, will outlast the rest of the bike. That said, if your stock bearings have been maintained correctly, they should also last pretty much forever. The issue with some Yamahas is that they were pretty stingy with the grease during assembly - particularly on the '01-'05 FZ1, in the steering head, shock linkages, and swingarm pivot. I've not seen a similar problem with the FJR..

Man, now I have to take the FJR back apart, pull out those cheap chinese bearings, and put in a decent set of bearings. Darn, I sure hope the wobble doesn't come back.